Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Maguire to Man Utd / Man City

25 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

I've entered a parallel universe, where a mathematical fact is argued to be a lie because the money might be spent.

A profit of £53.5m is an awful lot of money, regardless of what it is spent on. I'd love to know what a proper profit is, if this isn't one.

Oh, and @murphy...

Capture.PNG

You learn something every day...

2 hours ago, FoxyJim1987 said:

And this guy is paid to talk about football and played football all his life. Literally how thick is he. Why didnt we buy De Ligt or van Dijk, they were cheaper than Harry too, the stupid thick ccunt

i can't believe a former pro on the radio said that. It would be a daft comment on here. 

2 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

He’s one of the best attacking midfielders in the world but because he has to cover the defence as well as pushing forward he ends up wasting his strengths. Why Utd can’t see this is beyond me.

Yet United had Herrera and Matic as cdms last season. Maybe its united or maybe hes just an over rated bell end. Who knows?

2 hours ago, shailen said:

I genuinely think the loss of Maguire is not as big as if we loss either fullback or maddison or vardy. That's not to say Maguire is not a good player, but we are much more well equipped to lose him then some of the others.

£80m is a world record for a defender and if that is indeed the figure and the player wants to leave, I think we let him go. Our problem areas are in the wide positions and if the money allows us to buy a good pacey winger with goals and a decent young CB then I think the squad has improved overall.

A great bit of business for the club in getting 80mil for a player we paid 15 mil for 2 years ago.  Good for him if he wants to go to Man U and LCFC is in a great place to either replace him directly using the funds generated or strengthen in other areas if needed.  No need to bag out Harry.  He became a star for us and the England team while playing for us and he is a excellent CB. I am sure he will be missed but not to the level that would cause us to miss the position on the table we should be in with or without him.  Our club is so well run both on the field with BR and the front office that what ever they have planned to do with the funds it will make us better.

Look at the types of players we have have created with little investment and then recouped big from.  Kante, Drinkwater, Marhez and now Maguire. Other than Kante the others have not been what they were with us. let's take the money, wish Harry well and buy whom ever we want and be a top 4 team.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

0C570B7C-4A86-4B01-ABB2-5C6DB0F57BEA.thumb.jpeg.a95ea26aac9001f0589084d2d3c55c2b.jpeg

Some interesting thoughts in there. In one respect there’s the acknowledgement that we see them as a direct rival for the top 5. But then they think we’ll allow a late deal to go go through. The other one just thinks we’re Little Leicester but can’t get his head around the idea they can’t afford one of our players. 

Except how does it help us to sell him in the last minute?  Thats the worst thing we could do.

7 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

I've entered a parallel universe, where a mathematical fact is argued to be a lie because the money might be spent.

A profit of £53.5m is an awful lot of money, regardless of what it is spent on. I'd love to know what a proper profit is, if this isn't one.

Oh, and @murphy...

Capture.PNG

Jesus was a proper profit. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

Regardless of who is or isn't bought, it's a huge profit. Anything else is whataboutery.

now days 15m is not a huge profit for an EPL club.

If we sell him I will reserve judgement if its good business based on the following.

1 - how late in the window it is, as we preparing for new season.

2 - how good the replacement is.

3 - how much he improves a direct competitor.

4 - whether it leads to chain reactions in terms of sales.

We dont exist to make money, we exist to play football and try to win things.

I have always said before tho, if the club needs the money to balance the books, then by all means sell players, but in that situation I think deals should be done early in the window not late.

I think anyone who thinks a last minute deal for maguire hurts man utd more than us is bonkers.  I hope rodgers is able to persuade top and co that we need a deadline well before when the window closes.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Hack said:

A great bit of business for the club in getting 80mil for a player we paid 15 mil for 2 years ago.  Good for him if he wants to go to Man U and LCFC is in a great place to either replace him directly using the funds generated or strengthen in other areas if needed.  No need to bag out Harry.  He became a star for us and the England team while playing for us and he is a excellent CB. I am sure he will be missed but not to the level that would cause us to miss the position on the table we should be in with or without him.  Our club is so well run both on the field with BR and the front office that what ever they have planned to do with the funds it will make us better.

Look at the types of players we have have created with little investment and then recouped big from.  Kante, Drinkwater, Marhez and now Maguire. Other than Kante the others have not been what they were with us. let's take the money, wish Harry well and buy whom ever we want and be a top 4 team.

I couldn't agree more. The way our football club is run should be an example to all clubs. We have created some big stars that have prospered whilst being here. 

Yes some have left, but we have held our ground and not succumbed to the pressures from the bigger clubs. What is more impressive is how we have reinvested that money without breaking the bank. Maddison, Evans, Tielemans, Perez....etc, are all great signings for relatively low fees.

Not to mention the investment in the training ground and the potential investment in the stadium expansion. We really are building all the tools to be a big club imo, and with an owner who has a genuine connection with the city, we should hopefully get even stronger going forward. I do see clubs like Arsenal, Man Utd, Chelsea and even Spurs crumbling a bit in the short term and we need to take advantage if we can now and cement ourselves within the top 4/6 next season.

Exciting times.

• Like 1

here today gone tomorrow.. 

looking more likely to happen now...

IMO we should be holding on to him as his value will not drop over the course of the next year and in turn we are strengthening Man Utd.

If we can find an adequate replacement then it may sweeten the blow but not by much would be a big hole in the team this close to the window.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

I think anyone who thinks a last minute deal for maguire hurts man utd more than us is bonkers.  I hope rodgers is able to persuade top and co that we need a deadline well before when the window closes.

I guess the later they sign him the less time they have to bed him in, if we are happy with Evans, Morgan, Benkovic and Soyuncu as our CB options it doesn't really matter when we sell. If we need to buy a replacement then it doesn't benefit either club. Although Man U need to build a whole new defensive unit we don't so it is probably more disadvantageous to United than us.

1 minute ago, whoareyaaa said:

here today gone tomorrow.. 

looking more likely to happen now...

IMO we should be holding on to him as his value will not drop over the course of the next year and in turn we are strengthening Man Utd.

If we can find an adequate replacement then it may sweeten the blow but not by much would be a big hole in the team this close to the window.

Not sure. As others have said, Evans was probably our best CB last year, but that should not run down Harry's value to the team.

Even in the friendly games thus far, it was clear that when we seem to run out of ideas, that Harry strides forward with the ball, into midfield, commiting opposition players, moving them into positions they would rather not be.

This in turn, gives more space for other players.

It is this, far more than the defensive side of his game that Leicester will miss if he leaves.

If he goes, that is the element we need to replace, and it seems that Caglar has been binned off (bit early folks) after his recent games :nono:

So a ball playing, preferably pacy, CB who is willing to step out of defence with the ball.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Not sure. As others have said, Evans was probably our best CB last year, but that should not run down Harry's value to the team.

Even in the friendly games thus far, it was clear that when we seem to run out of ideas, that Harry strides forward with the ball, into midfield, commiting opposition players, moving them into positions they would rather not be.

This in turn, gives more space for other players.

It is this, far more than the defensive side of his game that Leicester will miss if he leaves.

If he goes, that is the element we need to replace, and it seems that Caglar has been binned off (bit early folks) after his recent games :nono:

So a ball playing, preferably pacy, CB who is willing to step out of defence with the ball.

One injury to the backline though and we become very short all of a sudden, so we will have to buy regardless which is why I think we should just keep him for another year.

I think we have a pretty settled squad as well would be nice to keep it that way.

Edited by whoareyaaa
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, LinekersApples said:

Ricardo > Wan Bissaka

Evans > Maguire

Actually - changed my mind.

Evans is a better defender, but is not of more value (on the pitch) to the team. :thumbup:

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Much as I agree that with a lot of what has been said regarding it not necessarily being desirable to sell Maguire, and acknowledging that it MIGHT be necessary to spend many pound notes on replacing him, I am just trying to stick to one notion - that buying a player for £17m and clearing £53m 2 years later is a large profit. 

It is worth bearing in mind that 3 centre backs have already been purchased during Maguire's time at the club, so the work to replace and re-invest could be argued to already be in place. And of course I don't want our best players to leave - however I suspect pragmatism kicks in for all parties eventually, and receiving a world-record fee for a defender cannot be casually dismissed. Hard as it is to swallow, the Manchester clubs do represent a (financial, if nothing else) opportunity in the present to any player, that must be hard to resist. The fact that I or you might claim that we'd never leave LCFC is for the birds - we're not in that position, we support LCFC and we don't know what it's like to earn these (let's face it) obscene amounts of money every week, and what it does to the mind.

So no, I'd rather LCFC didn't have to sell Maguire - but the cold hard fact is, profiting by £53m is a lot of dough. And if (and I know it's a big if) he wants gone, then he's better gone. 

And @weller54 - I raise your profit to a better prophet (see what I did there?) in Nostradmus....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If this thread gets to 250 pages and an actual deal still hasn’t been struck then the club should tell United where to stick it. It’s dragging on far too long now and it’ll only unsettle the team.

I also hope they don’t waste all of the money on a panic-buy replacement, if we knew we were going to eventually sell him then we should’ve bought earlier in the window and gotten a better price. Although I always thought that’s why we bought Benkovic and Soyuncu? I hope we give them the chance and instead spunk the money on a shiny new toy (winger please).

• Like 1

This, assuming it goes through, is a career-defining move for Maguire. It’ll also make him an absolute wedge.

Financially we’ll do well out of this deal. I’m not sure we’ll look to buy any more CBs, Tarkowski and Dunk would cost £40million at least and any other selling club will raise their prices for players as they’ll want a slice of the Maguire fee too.  

Morgan is now in his last year here as a player I think.  It makes sense to develop Benkovic and Soyuncu, unless Evans gets injured and then Morgan will be in the team for his experience. Not sure we’ll buy anyone else in this window...

9 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Much as I agree that with a lot of what has been said regarding it not necessarily being desirable to sell Maguire, and acknowledging that it MIGHT be necessary to spend many pound notes on replacing him, I am just trying to stick to one notion - that buying a player for £17m and clearing £53m 2 years later is a large profit. 

It is worth bearing in mind that 3 centre backs have already been purchased during Maguire's time at the club, so the work to replace and re-invest could be argued to already be in place. And of course I don't want our best players to leave - however I suspect pragmatism kicks in for all parties eventually, and receiving a world-record fee for a defender cannot be casually dismissed. Hard as it is to swallow, the Manchester clubs do represent a (financial, if nothing else) opportunity in the present to any player, that must be hard to resist. The fact that I or you might claim that we'd never leave LCFC is for the birds - we're not in that position, we support LCFC and we don't know what it's like to earn these (let's face it) obscene amounts of money every week, and what it does to the mind.

So no, I'd rather LCFC didn't have to sell Maguire - but the cold hard fact is, profiting by £53m is a lot of dough. And if (and I know it's a big if) he wants gone, then he's better gone. 

And @weller54 - I raise your profit to a better prophet (see what I did there?) in Nostradmus....

What If the difference was finishing above Man United by keeping hold of Maguire then the whole fan base would agree not to sell... unlikely this would be the case but the money should not really be a concern considering the profits after bringing in a replacement would be minimal, if that's what we intend to do, if we don't then we are walking on thin ice as Morgan is ageing, Evans could easily obtain a injury and Sonyu and Benko have literally no experience to there name

2 minutes ago, car1os said:

This, assuming it goes through, is a career-defining move for Maguire. It’ll also make him an absolute wedge.

Financially we’ll do well out of this deal. I’m not sure we’ll look to buy any more CBs, Tarkowski and Dunk would cost £40million at least and any other selling club will raise their prices for players as they’ll want a slice of the Maguire fee too.  

Morgan is now in his last year here as a player I think.  It makes sense to develop Benkovic and Soyuncu, unless Evans gets injured and then Morgan will be in the team for his experience. Not sure we’ll buy anyone else in this window...

2 incoming minimum I hear :) 

14 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Actually - changed my mind.

Evans is a better defender, but is not of more value (on the pitch) to the team. :thumbup:

@VIKTOR-LE5

What I meant here is Evans IS a better defender than Harry, but that Harry offers something Evans does not, specifically his ability to step out of defence and make more telling contributions to attack/passing than Evans can

Love them both mind :scarf:

• Like 1