Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

City linked with Swansea City starlet Dan James

On 10/04/2019 at 14:01, Ric Flair said:

Who do we think is better Bowen or James? Bowen will cost at least £15-20m and is a freak this season but James since I said had no end product is on a one man mission to score and assist every game. He is also the quickest player I have seen in a long while.

For me you get both. Sell on Ghezzal & Gray if we can get around £25m for Gray imo you have to sell. I know Gray is still young but he just isn’t improving.

On 10/04/2019 at 14:01, Ric Flair said:

Who do we think is better Bowen or James? Bowen will cost at least £15-20m and is a freak this season but James since I said had no end product is on a one man mission to score and assist every game. He is also the quickest player I have seen in a long while.

Could be another Keane / Maguire situation. Everyone wanted Keane but we made a wise choice by signing Maguire instead. 

Based on performance it makes sense to go for Bowen (like Keane). 

But it could be argued James is more naturally gifted and we can nurture him into the superior player (like Maguire).

Edited by foxes21
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, foxes21 said:

Could be another Keane / Maguire situation. Everyone wanted Keane but we made a wise choice by signing Maguire instead. 

Based on performance it makes sense to go for Bowen (like Keane). 

But it could be argued James is more naturally gifted and we can nurture him into the superior player (like Maguire).

Sign them both, at the quoted prices it’s really a no brainier.

• Like 1

He's obviously fast, but also great with the ball and knjows where the goal is.

He's doing that quite regularly in the Championship and genuinely believe he can therefore cut it in the top-flight.

However, just feel Rodgers will want an already proven top-flight striker (from any certain league) to replace Okazaki.

But James would be a great fit for a team like Bournemouth or Burnley, clubs that are known to buy English players who are still developing but can be a threat every one in three games etc imo.

Amazing pace but four goals in 29 games puts him on par with Gray at a year and a half younger and at a division lower.

When in the Championship Gray had six goals and one assist. Dan James has four goals and six assists. James has a better pass percentage but Gray had more man of the match awards.

Worth a punt if we've got money left over from Tielemans and a striker essentially.

8 hours ago, Foxxed said:

Amazing pace but four goals in 29 games puts him on par with Gray at a year and a half younger and at a division lower.

When in the Championship Gray had six goals and one assist. Dan James has four goals and six assists. James has a better pass percentage but Gray had more man of the match awards.

Worth a punt if we've got money left over from Tielemans and a striker essentially.

Let’s be fair to Dan James as well it’s his first 29 games in the league 

if you want to compare championship stats Gray made 72 appearances for Birmingham scored 8 and assisted 3 

James has made 29 appearances for Swansea and has scored 4 and assisted 7 

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/vergleich/spielervergleich/statistik/def/spieler/292417&319301

1 hour ago, jammie82uk said:

Let’s be fair to Dan James as well it’s his first 29 games in the league 

if you want to compare championship stats Gray made 72 appearances for Birmingham scored 8 and assisted 3 

James has made 29 appearances for Swansea and has scored 4 and assisted 7 

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/vergleich/spielervergleich/statistik/def/spieler/292417&319301

Starts are more insightful than apperances. But if we go by minutes: Gray had double the minutes and double the goals. James double the assists in the same period, however.

Hopefully James, if we get him, has more potential and will improve faster and adapt to the Premier League. But his current Championship performance isn't leaps and bounds better than Gray atm.

The best thing about him is that we could convert him into a striker but his goal scoring record isn't currently great. Bowen's is better.

Edited by Foxxed

On 05/04/2019 at 11:24, lgfualol said:

Fast as ****. 3 goals 6 assists in the champ doesn't wet me willy though.

Four goals and eight or nine assists now (depending on how you see the Routledge rebound in the away win at Ipswich), that in 29 games. A portion of that as a sub.

Performances have also improved once he's seen more time on the pitch.

Yes - question marks over his finishing, reminds me of Gray. lol Looking at Championship match recaps, some of the open goals he's missed... Well...

On 15/04/2019 at 09:58, Strokes said:

Sign them both, at the quoted prices it’s really a no brainier.

That would be my preference too!

grey and ghezzal being offloaded is a no brainier.

even if we had to sell albrighton to find these two I would be opposed to it. Don’t get me wrong I love albrighton, he’s our best wide option hands down. But if Bowen and James came in he would be down the pecking order and he isn’t getting any younger.

43 minutes ago, dooflip said:

even if we had to sell albrighton to find these two I would be opposed to it. Don’t get me wrong I love albrighton, he’s our best wide option hands down. But if Bowen and James came in he would be down the pecking order and he isn’t getting any younger.

Happy to sell Gray as he would command a good fee and is now leaving that zone of "young potential". Ghezzal was just an awful buy full stop. For the life of me I'll never understand why we pay serious money for players in their mid 20's when the evidence before us is that they won't be good enough to get in our team. £25m we spent on Ghezzal and Ward who are players in their mid 20's and it was obvious before they even signed they came here with little potential to be better and little hope they would be first team regulars. 

As for Albrighton though he is Mr Reliable, he guarantees his fair share of assists and will run all day and do the ugly side of the game, he's a footballer's footballer. I'd be happy to see both Bowen and James here but we can't rely on them to be a success at this level. Barnes, Albrighton, Bowen and James fighting it out for two positions is very appealing though. 

57 minutes ago, dooflip said:

Albrighton is a model pro, happy to play pretty much anywhere on the pitch, always puts a shift in and is seemingly content with his role just outside the starting XI. With such a young squad (and potentially a few even younger new faces coming in) someone with his experience and professionalism is vital to have around. I'd look to keep him at all costs, personally.

I actually don't mind Ghezzal, so I think he'd be OK to keep around if we can only get one of Bowen/James in. He's not a starter but he's an adequate bench player and he's grown over the course of the season after a rocky start. From the interviews he's done he seems pretty keen to work hard for a place, too, which bodes well.

I'd have no qualms about Gray being offloaded, though, for the right offer. Hes got potential (as we've said ever since he signed) but unless Rodgers has seen something in training it doesn't look like he's going to step up here. He really needs a pre-season transformation like Chilwell had last year to warrant a place in the XI next season. The fee for Gray would easily offset the cost of one of Bowen/James with a decent chunk left over.

• Like 2

Some talk through a reliable journo on twitter that James is joining Bournemouth.

The interesting part of that story is that Ryan Fraser doesn't look like he will be signing a new contract due to his form this season presenting the chance to move on to a new challenge at a bigger club, and also Bournemouth will look to cash in this summer to avoid losing him for nothing.

I'd hope we're in the Queue for him! However he will be in demand for sure. Lots of talk linking him with Spurs and Arsenal which would of course end our hopes, not sure he's quite that level for a starting position mind!

21 minutes ago, AjcW said:

Some talk through a reliable journo on twitter that James is joining Bournemouth.

The interesting part of that story is that Ryan Fraser doesn't look like he will be signing a new contract due to his form this season presenting the chance to move on to a new challenge at a bigger club, and also Bournemouth will look to cash in this summer to avoid losing him for nothing.

I'd hope we're in the Queue for him! However he will be in demand for sure. Lots of talk linking him with Spurs and Arsenal which would of course end our hopes, not sure he's quite that level for a starting position mind!

that's the one i heard …….. someone who actually gives 100% will do well there