Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

This whole Ancelotti to Everton move baffles me. Clearly the money on offer made it hard for him to refuse, but I can't see it working out.

Looking forward to seeing that famous eyebrow though, reaching previously undreamed of heights as the Toffees continue to disappoint. Don't know if it's got its own Twitter account yet, only a matter of time if it hasn't.

12 minutes ago, The Bear said:

Wolves v Leicester moved to Friday 14th Feb (8pm, BT). Frigging Friday night on Valentines day! Plenty of couples there that night then... 

10 of our next 13 games all on TV #boxoffice

You sound like you're celebrating it.

10 of our next 13 are also on TV with West Ham away being moved for no reason whatsoever...Ah actually that's being harsh they moved it to give us 2 hours extra rest (Sure I read that). So 11 of our next 13 fixtures have been ****ed about with - Tell a lie don't think Newcastle has been messed with and thats on TV ironically.

37 minutes ago, casablancas said:

That’s a worry for me. Think when Pep walks the Man City board will come all guns for big daddy. Musings from media have already pointed to them looking at him for long term pwp replacement 

They are going to want to bring in a manager who has experience of winning the champions league - surely? I agree though, I think Pep will be off at the end of this season. 

8 minutes ago, rachhere said:

They are going to want to bring in a manager who has experience of winning the champions league - surely? I agree though, I think Pep will be off at the end of this season. 

It’s just what I read. But big daddy fits the bill. Attractive football and he’s still young and with the resources they have he could build a dynasty that could last decades. I pray they want someone with champs experience. It’ll be best for us if pep did go soon as the longer he stays the more likely brendon will be to leave when he goes. If he goes soon hopefully they’ll look at big daddy and think he hasn’t got the experience just yet. 

2 minutes ago, casablancas said:

It’s just what I read. But big daddy fits the bill. Attractive football and he’s still young and with the resources they have he could build a dynasty that could last decades. I pray they want someone with champs experience. It’ll be best for us if pep did go soon as the longer he stays the more likely brendon will be to leave when he goes. If he goes soon hopefully they’ll look at big daddy and think he hasn’t got the experience just yet. 

Yeah I have read too and it makes me nervous, but hopefully just a case of lazy journalism! I agree - I would sooner Pep goes now and they bring in another long-term project.

55 minutes ago, casablancas said:

That’s a worry for me. Think when Pep walks the Man City board will come all guns for big daddy. Musings from media have already pointed to them looking at him for long term pwp replacement 

Which I think could be this summer.

He's looking pissed off, throwing his toys out the pram abit when he speaks and am I right in saying this is about the maximum he stays anywhere or coming up to that term? He won't be there much longer.

Now, similar to the Arsenal job and my views on that being that I didn't think Rodgers would leave because it'd be took soon to leave us and rightly or wrongly given the stuff said about Rodgers upping and leaving Celtic he'd be on a hiding to nothing if he upped and left us so early in his tenure added to that if it didn't go well at Arsenal (Which they're a basket case club at the moment) he'd be taking steps backwards and have to rebuild even more than when he was released by Liverpool.

Given Rodgers has just signed his new contract I think the summer would be again, too early to leave, if indeed a vacancy should open at Man City this summer, also even though Man City/Pep hoards and stockpiles players, signs players to simply stop other clubs from having them they seem to be going through abit of an 'injury crisis' and given their form it arguably shows how fragile Man City because of it although no-one in the media would allow you to believe that, they're rather just focus on 'What if Leicester lost Jamie Vardy?!' not even entertaining if Man City lost players as they have or if Liverpool got injuries.

I think Rodgers will be here this season, next season then dependant on what available potentially leave the following - which may indeed coincide with Pep's departure but I just have a hunch it'll be this summer.

On 19/12/2019 at 09:25, The Bear said:

Then it's a bollocks article. They haven't spent nearly enough to get in any real trouble, the TV money makes sure of that. Unless they're paying their new signings £200k per week each. 

a lot of loan players probably wouldn't have required very high wages paid by them …. owning players is much more expensive ….. they spent a lot in transfer fees.  i doubt the premier league will do anything as they have been pretty pathetic in the face of man city etc etc etc

To be fair as a season ticket holder without 300pts and now trying to go to a lot of away games, the moves for TV especially away, actually means that I can go to a lot of away games and now get close to 300pts!!

Additionally we keeping getting positive results away from home, so its a pleasure to go and see us win and the crap drive back form Everton where they close every road south isn't so bad!!  And we are a great team to watch at the moment!!

My lad and I have been to about 15-20 away games over the last 3 seasons and the only time he has seen us lose was Wolves in the League last year and we nearly got a draw there!!  So they are all great trips.

3 hours ago, Matt said:

You sound like you're celebrating it.

10 of our next 13 are also on TV with West Ham away being moved for no reason whatsoever...Ah actually that's being harsh they moved it to give us 2 hours extra rest (Sure I read that). So 11 of our next 13 fixtures have been ****ed about with - Tell a lie don't think Newcastle has been messed with and thats on TV ironically.

It was a tongue in cheek comment really. It means we get more exposure I guess, especially if we go on a decent run and stay around the top 6. Will also be good for any Jan transfer prospects. 

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

a lot of loan players probably wouldn't have required very high wages paid by them …. owning players is much more expensive ….. they spent a lot in transfer fees.  i doubt the premier league will do anything as they have been pretty pathetic in the face of man city etc etc etc

Owning players is only expensive due to wages with FFP. Transfer fees are all amortised in the accounts (divided - fee/time) over several years, but wages go on the books fully. Also, newly promoted teams are limited in the wage bill they're allowed in the first season and that figure only increases incrementally in small amounts year by year. 

I'd say that has been a limiting factor in our spending over the last two seasons. Our Chief Exec has said the money and the ambition is there waiting and ready, but FFP makes it difficult to do that as quickly as they'd like. 

Edited by The Bear

1 hour ago, Otis said:

Re: Winter break

During Sept, Oct & Nov, (The ideal months for football) we payed 11 matches. This January alone we have 11 matches scheduled.

Winter break my arse...

For me the international breaks need looking at.

Ok some of them are qualifyers, alot are pointless friendlies - which could be argued they are needed to get the team together, try players out, try different things but no one enjoys them and they disrupt a large part of the start of the season and I think alot of teams struggle to be allowed to get into any ryhthm (arguable this season and the season we won the league it allowed us to break it up, give ourselves targets to get to, e.t.c, but in past seasons i've often thought there was a struggle to get into any rhythm.)

I dare say the stat you've given is due to International breaks for 2 weeks in each of the months you have said, I wouldn't want the Christmas schedule changed too much, I like the tradition and I like sport during Christmas but if it wasn't for so little games taking place during the early months of the season you could certainly lose some of the fixture congestion during December/January - It just a case of where do the pointless internationals take place.

I don't think clubs or authorities can complain when there ares so many pointless international friendlies at the start of the season and/or players getting little to virtually no Summer break - taking them all over the world on club tours.

Edited by Matt
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Otis said:

Re: Winter break

During Sept, Oct & Nov, (The ideal months for football) we payed 11 matches. This January alone we have 11 matches scheduled.

Winter break my arse...

That’s how it is and always has been though. I don’t particularly get winter breaks as football is now a squad game and it tests the strength of each teams squads when winter comes around. Dealing with the hard winter football separates the good from the great and the bad from the dreadful I would hate for it to disappear. Football in England will lose a lot of its soul if it goes down the German route.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The boy Linacre said:

To be fair as a season ticket holder without 300pts and now trying to go to a lot of away games, the moves for TV especially away, actually means that I can go to a lot of away games and now get close to 300pts!!

Additionally we keeping getting positive results away from home, so its a pleasure to go and see us win and the crap drive back form Everton where they close every road south isn't so bad!!  And we are a great team to watch at the moment!!

My lad and I have been to about 15-20 away games over the last 3 seasons and the only time he has seen us lose was Wolves in the League last year and we nearly got a draw there!!  So they are all great trips.

Same for me. It will take me years to get my points up to around 300, but all these tv games mean that I can raise my ST points by 15 or so every season just through away games.

I know it is tradition and stuff, but a why is it, that a game played outside on grass has far more games in the winter than in the summer? Seems crazy to me. Still it is the same for all the teams, so not much to do than prepare the best for it.

the champions league is an issue, too. why do they not start playing that until the end of september? if they started that like a month earlier then there would be a lot more free midweeks towards this time of year so everyone at the top could stop crying. 

oh and the fact we have a game in between boxing day and new year's day just because it's a saturday is crazy. the whole point of christmas is that nobody knows what day it is. nobody cares about that saturday 3pm game. we've had a game 2 days before and we've got another one 3 days later.