Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

11 minutes ago, Nalis said:

At what point do we want Sheff Utd to stop winning games to keep the gap open to 5th?

I don't mind them winning - it especially means another side that isn't 'top 6' misses out on it. And the more points they could take off our rivals for top 4 the better. 

Edited by StanSP
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, AKCJ said:

Handball even without the rule change for me.

He nearly catches it. It falls perfectly to his feet as a result of it hitting his arm.

Exactly this for me. Even without the shit rule change (which it is, it needs binning) it's a clear advantage gained from the ball hitting his arm. I'd expect that to be given by the ref/lino, and if it wasn't then VAR should see that and rule it out any way. 

We had one a couple of months ago against Southampton where Jimenez clearly knocked it on with his arm and went through and scored. The lino flagged and the ref blew and disallowed it there and then. He even got booked for it. 

Edited by The Bear

15 minutes ago, The Bear said:

Exactly this for me. Even without the shit rule change (which it is, it needs binning) it's a clear advantage gained from the ball hitting his arm. I'd expect that to be given by the ref/lino, and if it wasn't then VAR should see that and rule it out any way. 

We had one a couple of months ago against Southampton where Jimenez clearly knocked it on with his arm and went through and scored. The ref blew and disallowed it there and then. He even got booked for it. 

I think this is the important thing. The rule should be changed to allow the goal to be given if the attacker did not gain any advantage due to the handball. Unfortunately this makes it a subjective decision again.

In this case the attacker gained a distinct advantage in any case, so the goal was correctly disallowed. Not sure what Rice was whinging about.

Edited by WigstonWanderer

40 minutes ago, Nalis said:

At what point do we want Sheff Utd to stop winning games to keep the gap open to 5th?

I'm not there yet.  I don't see them as a strong threat for the CL, and I'm still pleased to see them overperforming.  I like Wilder and I like the way they play.

13 minutes ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

It is part of the rules whether people like it or not, any handball leading to a goal is ruled out, makes for no grey areas. This one in particular helped him score 

The most annoying thing is how much the media are now biased against it and are whining about it because it's a London club. 

When we had the goal ruled out against you lot on the opening day, none of them gave a shit and told us to stop complaining and get on with it because those are the rules which we all knew about going in to the season. 

'Get on with it' - Match of the Day pundits slam Wolves players for VAR complaints against Leicester City

Match of the Day 2 pundits Jermaine Jenas and Phil Neville do agree with the decision, even if the former has some sympathy for the men in gold.

"The rules are very clear in terms of being set out," said Jenas, "If it hits your hand and it creates a goal it's going to be disallowed.

"I don't like it, I'll be honest with you, I think it should be a goal. I was listening to Conor Coady's interview and I understand what he is saying.

"He (Boly) has got no idea where his arm is and I don't think it has had that much of an impact in terms of where the ball is landed and that goal should stand in my opinion but what we all need to get to grips with is, we need to accept it.

"The game is changing, the players have all been briefed and there#s no need for them to be remonstrating with the officials like this when the reality is, they all know the rules.

"Boly will know that has touched his arm and therefore the goal isn't going to stand.

"It doesn't mean that just because I don't like it and they don't like it, it doesn't stand - it's a rule."

Fellow pundit Neville agreed, but the former Everton defender had a less sympathy for the aggrieved Wolves supporters and players.

"Jermaine is right," he said. "We started it in the World Cup and we all got briefed beforehand.

"We took the stance of; whatever decision the referee makes, we just have to accept, don't surround the referee.

"What we did find out in the (Women's) World Cup is that the handball is the worst rule, it will get challenged and looked at.

"They know the rules and they have been briefed, but we just have to get on with it.

"You saw with the West Ham and (Manchester) City game yesterday (Saturday), it's offside, deal with it.

"There has been so much rubbish and drama. Ultimately, there have been three decisions by VAR this weekend and they have all been correct by the rules."

Edited by The Bear
  • Like 3

Just now, The Bear said:

The most annoying thing is how much the media are now biased against it and are whining about it because it's a London club. 

When we had the goal rules out against you lot on the opening day, none of them gave a shit and told us to stop complaining and get on with it because those are the rules which we all knew about going in to the season. 

Yeah I found that bizarre, as if it was the first time it'd happened. Its the rule so unless they end up changing it there's no point fans/pundits/players/managers moaning about it being enforced

13 hours ago, AKCJ said:

Handball even without the rule change for me.

He nearly catches it. It falls perfectly to his feet as a result of it hitting his arm.

Exactly this. So many of these VAR decisions are not controversial at all and I for one am thoroughly bored of listening to TV pundits whinging on about every single one. If the lines are drawn correctly then it’s offside. If the ball hits a players hand then it ain’t a goal.

I can understand Moyes being gutted but he’s simply wrong when he says that it was a perfectly good goal.

You can make a case for a rule change but as it stands these decisions are in no way controversial!

Just now, The Bear said:

For all the rest the ref needs to decide if the attacker gained a significant advantage from it

Isn't that where the original issue is? At least with the current new rule there needs to be no referee interpretation. Did it touch the arm/hand? Yes.

Why give it back to the ref to decide? 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

People absolving VAR for that goal being disallowed - the rule was changed to fit in with VAR, so yes it's indirectly because of VAR.

I really do think they'll look back on this season as a bit of a farce in future.

Not true 

the law was changed to stop attackers diverting the ball into the goal unintentionally and because it wasn’t deliberate a goal was directly scored from contact with the arm/hand. 

IFAB decided that they would extend this to play immediately preceding the goal aswell - eg. Remember a Soton player charging down a clearance in last seasons  League cup game at the KP - var ruled it out for handball but that was subjective cos the new law wasn’t in place yet ...Var could have decided it wasn’t deliberate and allowed it ..... 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Bear said:

Because you get nonsense decisions where the ball has literally brushed the arm and hasn't made any difference. 

If VAR look at it afterwards it should be fairly obvious whether it made a difference or not. 

Take Man City’s non winner v spurs 

brushes Laportes arm and falls to Jesus .... it would have reached Jesus anyway but no one has any clue if the slight diversion of the trajectory of the ball made it easier for him to control and get his shot away or not ..... I think making grey areas on this law leads to huge problems - either keep the law or scrap it 

I can see a tricky scenario where a defender pushes an attacker into the ball so it makes contact with the arm (Even though they would likely have controlled without the arm being used) - advantage played from the ref and the next pass puts in another player or indeed the player scores themselves - no way should that be disallowed but I believe it would be ....

5 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Find it very difficult to warm to Torreira. Seems a bit snide and dive-happy. 
Small sample size though.

He's the kind of player who you love if he players for your team and hate if he plays against. He seems talented to me, the kind of nasty deeper lying midfielder every club needs.

• Like 1

Don’t like arsenal but I am looking forward to seeing them finish above spurs this seasons after a horrible season they have had 😂 Wouldn’t mind a 5-0 Liverpool win tonight going to be watching it at the in laws and Mrs brother is a spurs fan so will be very fun to watch him lose his sh** 😂

• Haha 1