Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

6 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Totally agree - where is the problem .....the contact with the arm creates the chance for the pass and the goal ......that’s what the new law is for ....hands and arms cannot be involved in scoring goals .........whether it’s the scorer or the creator of the scoring opp ......I like the rule - the defender will argue that he got his head to it to clear and rice’s arm gets in the way ....

I appreciate people will argue about it being different for defenders and contact with the arm but that risks people just blasting the ball at arms or flicking it at hands in the area to get pens ......

But again, if Snodgrass has the option to square it, does so and West Ham score, the goal stands. Yet the ball still wouldn't have gone in had it not been for the initial ball hitting the hand, the chance for the goal would still never have come about without it. Which makes it an utter nonsense. 

21 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Right. 

Anyone questioning that needs to realise the hand aids Rice being able to play the pass and assist Snodgrass. 

The hand doesnt come into play that phase of play doesnt happen and Rice gets forced wide. 

Quite simple really. 

I would argue however that's point blank range but yeah, handball. 

What if it went for a corner from the final shot and they scored from that? 

What if a Sheffield Utd player had touched it with his hand and it prevented an assist or a goal -isn’t it the same principle? 

Is Rice supposed to kick the ball out of play in case they score?

You can see how it’s stupid.

I would say least its consistent on handball but we've had 3 goals against us with such incidents miss (and admitted by the Premier league)

So really as pointed out above VAR isn't doing  much to sort out controversial incidents - just adding to them.

Having said that someone somewhere would be complaining if that goal had stood!

10 minutes ago, Kitchandro said:

What if it went for a corner from the final shot and they scored from that? 

What if a Sheffield Utd player had touched it with his hand and it prevented an assist or a goal -isn’t it the same principle? 

Is Rice supposed to kick the ball out of play in case they score?

You can see how it’s stupid.

What if it went for a corner from the final shot and they scored from that?   Then it wouldn’t matter

What if a Sheffield Utd player had touched it with his hand and it prevented an assist or a goal -isn’t it the same principle?   Depends if the defender has made himself ‘bigger’ by use of his arm 

Is Rice supposed to kick the ball out of play in case they score?  Players need to become cuter ....if they know it’s touched their arm then they need to keep possession rather than shoot or make a chance creating pass  

I accept that many will think the new law is an ass but on balance in think it’s one of the better changes made over last couple years 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Totally agree - where is the problem .....the contact with the arm creates the chance for the pass and the goal ......that’s what the new law is for ....hands and arms cannot be involved in scoring goals .........whether it’s the scorer or the creator of the scoring opp ......I like the rule - the defender will argue that he got his head to it to clear and rice’s arm gets in the way ....

I appreciate people will argue about it being different for defenders and contact with the arm but that risks people just blasting the ball at arms or flicking it at hands in the area to get pens ......

No that logic doesn’t work.

If someone heads it goalwards and a hand gets in the way, it has to be deliberate. Or if a cross is about to be tapped in and a hand gets in the way, it has to be deliberate.

It’s the same principle. The rule isn’t consistent with the principle of hands/arms directly affecting goal scoring chances. So it merely favours the defending team, for no fair reasoning that can be backed up.

As I said above, where do you draw the line? How far back is the handball relevant? I’d say it’s always relevant, it’s the butterfly effect.

Again, is Rice supposed to avoid playing a killer pass because he knows it’s hit his hand, on the off chance they score? 

There are so many reasons it doesn’t work.

Plenty of unintentional hand balls are given just because a player is deemed to have made his body bigger, how do you measure that? 
Determining handball or not will always be contentious however the laws are written and interpreted.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

So really as pointed out above VAR isn't doing  much to sort out controversial incidents - just adding to them.

Football is a hugely subjective game- people will always look at the same incident different ways depending on their bias. Most of the offsides, for example, haven't been controversial- the issue is that the rule was brought in to stop players goal hanging 15 yards behind the defence, not to judge if a player's armpit or head was further forward on a TV screen. But the rule states that if a body part that can be scored with is ahead of the last defender when the ball is played, it is offside, so those decisions are correct.

As I've said before, I've little sympathy for the teams, players, managers involved here. The Premier League didn't force this- it came about because people couldn't accept a bad decision. All those comments about "costing us millions, relegating us, costing jobs" meant we have to sit through this to get to the right decision- and they still aren't happy. As ever, the focus was on the negative impact of decisions- have you heard any manager call for video assistance when a decision went in their favour? Or did they play it off with a "sometimes they go for you" excuse?

The game wasn't perfect, it never will be, but this stuff is just tedious now. So do something about it- accept it is here and you'll be impacted or get rid of it, still be impacted but have the chance to celebrate or moan accordingly.

If everyone hates it, join together and ditch it. The game will carry on.

• Like 4

Just now, davieG said:

Plenty of unintentional hand balls are given just because a player is deemed to have made his body bigger, how do you measure that? 
Determining handball or not will always be contentious however the laws are written and interpreted.

Unless they apply it to all handballs like for attackers. The rule is clear. Otherwise we continue to debate what is handball and what is accidental or natural

Away from the controversy, West Ham were poor, really poor. You often hear it said of older players that their legs have gone. Zabaletta was the epitome of this, couldn’t get up and down and handed over possession so often. They looked devoid of ideas  and I would have them in the worst 3 sides in the division right now. 
Sheff United on the other hand, well organised, everyone knows their role and up to 5th. 
Would love to see them get a European place, don’t think many teams would fancy going to Bramall Lane on a big European night.

5 hours ago, Kopfkino said:

Why can't it be both a VAR and a rule issue. 

Without VAR it doesn't get given. The rule would still be shit had the ref noticed it and brought it back straight away but it'd be immediate just like the offside goal that was ruled out. Instead we get all the emotion, animation, and excitement and then we have to wait for a bit whilst a bloke 200 miles away looks at a TV screen. It's really the fact that VAR just chips away at the emotion of the game which means it gets shit because people don't want football to be some utilitarian hell hole where everything is 'right'. 

This is the biggest problem. For me if you're going to make a sacrifice like this, you need to get it spot on and yet I think VAR has proven that that simply isn't attainable.

I don't think it was wrong to experiment VAR but nobody can convince me this is working and is good for the game, regardless of the propaganda churned out.

Sick of talking about it every week but I can't get away from it either. Perfect for the pundits who have another thing to stop them talking about actual football. Please just get rid of it for god sake.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Nalis said:

At what point do we wany Sheff Utd to stop winning games to keep the gap open to 5th?

It's been a while for me. We really need to give them much more respect - us of all supporters should know that. Definitely wanted them to lose yesterday.