Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

8 hours ago, Gerard said:

I must admit I'd be fuming if we were 22pts clear in the title race and BR put out a team away at Chelsea in the last 16 of the FA Cup that had 4 or 5 first teamers in. What the hell is he saving them for and could easily rest a few in the league. Liverpool should be concentrating on the cups and if their title hopes drop to <99% then reconsider your strategy. 

Yeah especially now the unbeaten record is gone in the league.

Saying that, but I once heard on the radio that teams are liable to fines by the Premier League if they play weakened teams in the league? 

7 hours ago, StanSP said:

How has Man City vs Arsenal been rearranged for next week, 11th March? Ridiculously short notice for fans to arrange whatever they need to. 

The social media bores with their 'eMpTiHaD' jibes will have a field day. 

16 hours ago, AKCJ said:

I got 3/5 right.

I actually think Shaqiri is fouled there. Bloke flies out and gets nowhere near the ball meaning Shaqiri has no chance of getting to the ball without being hit.

There's dives and theres dives for me. 

I also thought James Rodriguez handballs it but shouldn't have been booked.

Agreed.  Contact is not required for a foul, Shaqiri had to take evasive action to avoid potential injury (as did Chilwell against Everton).

The Laws seem to suggest an indirect free kick could be given for impeding a player.

Indirect free kick

An indirect free kick is awarded if a player:

• plays in a dangerous manner
  • impedes the progress of an opponent without any contact being made

I guess he was booked because he exaggerated the contact, maybe that over-rides it 🤷

9 hours ago, RumbleFox said:

I know I'm petty but God damn it's nice to see Liverpool losing again.  X

Yes and no.

It gives Arsenal fans yet another excuse to be all over SM saying that the 2003-04 team was the best ever ... The Invincibles ... blah, blah, blah ...

Oh how I would have loved to have beaten them in the final game of that season.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CUJimmy said:

Yes and no.

It gives Arsenal fans yet another excuse to be all over SM saying that the 2003-04 team was the best ever ... The Invincibles ... blah, blah, blah ...

Oh how I would have loved to have beaten them in the final game of that season.

Arsenal fans still have that one thing they can cling on to, but they've fallen so far in recent years that it's no longer irritating when they go on about the invincibles, and actually just quite sad. 

Much rather have that than have Liverpool fans go on and on about it; they were irritating enough even before they were league-winning material, so I dread to think what they'd be like if they won the league at a canter and went undefeated all season.

• Like 1

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2020/mar/02/netflix-of-sport-to-target-premier-league-rights-after-uk-launch-dazn?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

'Netflix of sport' to target Premier League rights after UK launch
Dazn’s initial focus will be on boxing when it expands to 200 countries, including UK, in May

Mark Sweney Media business correspondent

@marksweney  Email
Mon 2 Mar 2020 13.54 GMTLast modified on Mon 2 Mar 2020 14.31 GMT

A streaming service that is aiming to become a “Netflix of sport” is to expand to 200 countries, including the UK, and is targeting Premier League rights for the British market.

The London-based Dazn, which is owned by the billionaire Sir Leonard Blavatnik, currently operates in nine international markets but the high cost of sports rights driven by Sky and BT has delayed a UK launch.

Dazn, pronounced “Dazone”, is little-known in the UK but it has upset the traditional sports pay-TV model overseas. In December, Dazn secured the rights to Champions League football in Germany from 2021, ending Sky’s two-decade grip. Dazn also has Champions League and Premier League rights in Canada and Japan.

John Skipper, Dazn’s executive chairman and the former president of the sports broadcaster ESPN, told a conference late last year that Premier League rights are key to cracking the UK.

“The UK is a logical Dazn market,” he said. “In terms of the rights in this country, obviously you need Premier League rights, boxing is very important here and tennis is very important here.”

Even with Blavatnik’s billions – the Ukrainian-born tycoon also owns Warner Music, home to Ed Sheeran and Katy Perry, and has a stake in Spotify – Dazn is unlikely to have the war chest to unseat the prime rights held by Sky and BT. Sky and BT paid £4.5bn in the last three-year deal, which expires in 2022.

However, Amazon paid about £90m to simulcast 20 matches a season under the current deal, as the Premier League explored adapting its model for the streaming age. The Premier League is also considering selling matches on a Netflix-style channel of its own in select markets, dubbed Premflix, rather than to TV broadcasters.

Dazn will expand to 200 countries including the UK on 2 May, with an initial focus on boxing. Dazn has a $1bn (£780m) deal with Eddie Hearn’s Matchroom Boxing, which promotes fighters including Anthony Joshua. However, the deal does not include Joshua’s fights in the UK, which are aired by Sky, which Dazn is expected to bid for when the deal comes up for renewal. The company also has a $350m deal in place with Canelo Álvarez, the largest contract in the history of boxing, as well as with promoters including Oscar de la Hoya’s Golden Boy Promotions.

Dazn has yet to set the price of its new service but it is expected to be about £4.99 a month.

“Establishing Dazn as the global home of fight sports is just the first step,” said Joseph Markowski, the Dazn senior executive who is to run the new global service.

The worst case scenario is if we end up with 4 rights holders.

If the PL aren't going to do Premflix then i have a forlorn hope that the same matches are available from more than one rights holder so we the customers get real competition not the current EU inspired monopoly disguised as a competitive market.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Christoph said:

Just be like Amazon and they'll have a couple of games here and there. In which case it means paying for another provider to watch more games. Load of sh*te

Competition is good for the consumer...

5 minutes ago, bmt said:

Competition is good for the consumer...

Certainly don't disagree but at the moment if you're from the UK and want to watch as much premier league football as possible then you're goign to have to subscribe to

Sky Sports

BT Sports

Amazon 

and now possible DAZN?

4 subscriptions soon adds up. The problem is that these companies are bidding for exclusive rights to these matches. So there is only one provider showing the match you want at the time. 

25 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Wonder how much this could affect Wolves, if at all... 

No doubt we'll get lumped into the discussion, but I doubt it'll affect us at all. We don't have THAT many Gestifute players any way. 

7 minutes ago, Christoph said:

Certainly don't disagree but at the moment if you're from the UK and want to watch as much premier league football as possible then you're goign to have to subscribe to

Sky Sports

BT Sports

Amazon 

and now possible DAZN?

4 subscriptions soon adds up. The problem is that these companies are bidding for exclusive rights to these matches. So there is only one provider showing the match you want at the time. 

It was tongue in cheek, I hate that argument. The way customers here aren't protected is obscene in my opinion, although I guess that is why we can attract the best players in the world

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Christoph said:

Sky Sports

BT Sports

Amazon 

and now possible DAZN?

Not sure how it will work in the UK but in Canada with DAZN I get all the Premier league games including the 3.00pm on Saturday. It costs $150.00 Canadian a year.

7 hours ago, gurru991 said:

Not sure how it will work in the UK but in Canada with DAZN I get all the Premier league games including the 3.00pm on Saturday. It costs $150.00 Canadian a year.

Wont be possible in the UK as Sky and BT (and now Amazon) bid so much money for the exclusive rights to games. Unless Dazn can russle up a few billion then its always possible. 

6 hours ago, WigstonWanderer said:

This is not competition in the normal sense. The only competition is between broadcasters to get their share of monopoly rights. This is the antithesis of how competition should work.

I know, was being sarcastic. It used to be said when companies bid for the rights it would be good for the consumer, but it obviously isn't. Even the standard of commentary and punditry is usually poor.

• Like 1

The first tiny, tiny hints of doubt about the Special One are starting to appear on the Fighting Cock.

So, how much would we have to pay to get rid of him? 40 million? We are f****d for years now.

Is he a double agent being paid by Abramovich or the goons to f*** us up!

Send him back to Jurassic park please Levy

It's like we're playing Mourinho monopoly and we've landed on "go straight to year three."

SpursCOVID.PNG.b717b9f762b1fad9bfff1b3efa65d265.PNG

On 04/03/2020 at 12:18, mozartfox said:

Can you imagine what FT would be like if we were Liverpool right now?  There would be a Klopp ‘out’ Poll running by now and people slagging off VVD and calling Salah/Mane as useless.

"It doesn't matter what has happened in the past 2 years - finishing runners up in the PL, winning the CL, losing one PL game in a year or so etc - because we've lost 3 of our last 4 games in all competitions so we're clearly on the slide, Klopp has no Plan B, the players are believing their own hype, VVD is shiite, we didn't strengthen enough in January, there's clearly a massive problem in the dressing room, we'll be mid table or worse this time next year, maybe it's time for Klopp to go..." etc

• Like 2