Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

4 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

That is a fair point but I think Deenry is talking about his own personal situation first rather than trying to get the season cancelled.

I think he is the sort of bloke who would say what he has regardless of position.

Had it been other members of the squad I'd agree it might seem like a PR effort to delay the season etc.

If anything his stance will cost you and he must be aware of that. Which is even more impressive

• Like 1

Tricky for Pearson.  Whatever the club’s positioning on continuing, his job at this time is surely to get the team ready to compete.

His veteran dressing room leader is effectively on strike (however valid the reason).  Would love to know how a renowned man manager handles this inside the four walls with the rest of his squad.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stuntman_Mike said:

So you have a problem with his club having the riches to pay him if he doesn't go in because he wants to protect his family, if that is what they agree, but you don't have a problem with his club having the richest to test their players weekly when people like me and you who work for the NHS get zero tests? 

If you don't care about wages then it shouldn't matter what their employer agrees with them.

My statements have nothing to do with the amount of money involved or what Watford choose to do, if they choose to pay him, that's down to them. 

More of the principle that if you refuse to carry out you contracted employment, you shouldn't expect to be paid.  

Troy is in a very privileged position, were he can probably never work again and be financial fine, there are 100,000's of people who have the same concerns and worries but have no choice but to carry on working. As they simple can't just refuse to work and expect too get paid. 

As for testing the more the merrier for me.

Edited by coolhandfox
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Foxin_Mad said:

So how many young athletes have died of covid 19?

When do you start playing football again? In the autumn/winter when the NHS is overwhelmed with Flu?

Are you willing to accept pretty much all clubs are insolvent, gone forever? All players across the UK lose their jobs, all staff at clubs lose their jobs forever? All because of a risk that doesnt really exist beyond normal flu for young healthy people? Of course protect the vulnerable, those in the age groups and with conditions likely to die, those that chose to make their own personal decisions can remain on furlough until October. Otherwise this is throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Stuff we love will be gone forever unless we wake up to reality. We might be alive, locked inside but what enjoyment will be left?

Countdown on series link?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Markyblue said:

Not seen many liverpool players scared to play. But in fairness i have seen a report that being in the bottom 6 gives you a much higher chance of catching the virus.😂

There's some in our squad that don't want to play, and many other squads. People need to be mindful of the pressure the media will put the players under, it's their cash they're worried about more than anything. Suits their narrative when they frame the leaks around the bottom 6 clubs.

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

Genuine question, this is my own ignorance, is covid 19 statistically more dangerous to BME people because they're on average from more vulnerable communities or is there evidence that it's literally, biologically less threatening to Caucasians? 

I know some diseases really are more or less threatening to some ethnicities? 

If it's the former, though, surely that's not particularly of concern to Troy Deeney with all due respect? He'd get much better healthcare than any of us. 

Have read some stuff about vitamin D conversion, but none of it is proven so far.

Guest Markyblue
12 minutes ago, Abrasive fox said:

There's some in our squad that don't want to play, and many other squads. People need to be mindful of the pressure the media will put the players under, it's their cash they're worried about more than anything. Suits their narrative when they frame the leaks around the bottom 6 clubs.

Cancel football for 18 months then, when it comes back there will probably be 2 leagues. 

1 minute ago, Markyblue said:

Cancel football for 18 months then, when it comes back there will probably be 2 leagues. 

Would it be 18 months? Its all a guess and even if it comes back temporarily that scenario might still happen. Not sure its as cut and dry as some make out.

Also the clubs that aren't going to play (eg L1/2) are the ones that will go bust so am yet to see how playing now helps them.

Edited by Abrasive fox

Guest Markyblue
Just now, Abrasive fox said:

Would it be 18 months? Its all a guess and even if it comes back temporarily that scenario might still happen. Not sure its as cut and dry as some make out.

Well if it's not safe now you cant start next season in August with a potential second wave which would be in the winter so surely next season would have to be cancelled as well.

Guest Markyblue
Just now, Abrasive fox said:

Hence why I don't think its simple

Certainly not simple , i see football as we know it going for ever, 4 professional leagues is never happening. Some famous old clubs are going to the wall unfortunately. 

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

Genuine question, this is my own ignorance, is covid 19 statistically more dangerous to BME people because they're on average from more vulnerable communities or is there evidence that it's literally, biologically less threatening to Caucasians? 

I know some diseases really are more or less threatening to some ethnicities? 

If it's the former, though, surely that's not particularly of concern to Troy Deeney with all due respect? He'd get much better healthcare than any of us. 

The question was asked by a number of managers in the conf call with SAGE members. They didn’t have a clear informed answer as of yet. This was in the Athletic last week. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Foxin_Mad said:

So how many young athletes have died of covid 19?

There was an example of a 19yr old professional in France who went into a coma from CV19. Some of the players in Serie A have struggled to shake it off as well. 

Surprised at how vicious the language some have used here - Deeney’s asked a question, they don’t have an answer yet. SAGE and UK government will give an answer and you’d expect Deeney will play. About five managers also had questions which they couldn’t deliver answers on. 

Two stage process to it - get them on the training ground and get them tested. Hopefully over the course of the next couple of weeks, the situation improves and the concerns about playing are reduced. I don’t see the immediacy of getting out there super quick. Even more so now UEFA have said they are aiming Champions League for end of August. Any Bundesliga teams could look foolish completing their season early 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Markyblue said:

Well its just as well all the bame staff working for the nhs haven't got the same morals, oh yea also all the over 50s and people with health issues who have carried on working without the backup millionaire footballers will receive.  Stick to your morals troy and let others stick to theirs.

Deeney’s exact point is why should he get preferred treatment over those persons? Regardless if it’s private

37 minutes ago, Abrasive fox said:

The top brass at the Bundesliga were stronger enough to admit that their clubs need the TV money to function. The link between the leagues which have cancelled? All due a new TV deal and they want to be a position to get that payment as early as possible in September 

1 hour ago, KingsX said:

Tricky for Pearson.  Whatever the club’s positioning on continuing, his job at this time is surely to get the team ready to compete.

His veteran dressing room leader is effectively on strike (however valid the reason).  Would love to know how a renowned man manager handles this inside the four walls with the rest of his squad.

Pearson has been one of the most vocal managers on the PL conference calls regards safety. Mourinho unsurprisingly the loudest to get back playing and eyes it up as a chance for Spurs to get 4th. Apparently there’s problems brewing at Sheff U if anywhere 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

Yes but again Pearson isn't afraid to say what he thinks even if people don't agree.

He seemed happy enough to tweet about going to training the other day though.

Pearson was brought into fight off potential relegation so the target is still the same for him I imagine.

He's the kind of manager who is suited to this.

He's nothing to lose by going back. You'll be a better judge of this than me but he seems to have done quite decent given the situation he was handed. Maybe boosted by the Liverpool win but that was only the 2nd loss they have had in nearly 2 seasons. 

You'd hate to be relegated of course but given the situation I wouldn't go blaming him heavily if ye did go down. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

The question was asked by a number of managers in the conf call with SAGE members. They didn’t have a clear informed answer as of yet. This was in the Athletic last week. 

I don't think some people are grasping the fact scientists simply do not have every answer.

Answers to questions such as why BME people seem to be more effected aren't being hidden, this virus emerged maybe 6/7 months ago. Science takes time to reach accurate answers.

1 hour ago, Markyblue said:

Well if it's not safe now you cant start next season in August with a potential second wave which would be in the winter so surely next season would have to be cancelled as well.

A second wave wouldn't definitely be in the winter, we don't understand the seasonality of the virus yet.

There could quite easily be a second wave in a month if people break social distancing rules. 

43 minutes ago, Abrasive fox said:

There are also a lot of people who have been expected to carry on as normal over the last 9 weeks or are expected to go back to normal in the coming weeks, who also don't want to got back to work.

Footballer don't have the monopoly on being worried about working or returning to work.

Just now, Stevosevic said:

That's low.

Which should be expected considering they SHOULD have been at home for the last 8 weeks. 

0.8%. Considering we've been in lockdown I still think that's quite a lot. 

Incidentally it would be interesting to know how many players have had it.

Using those "stats" (which I appreciate are probably flawed and not representative) that equates to just over 500,000 people in the UK who would test positive if everyone were tested today.

That's a fairly large amount!