Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

13 hours ago, Foxin_Mad said:

Its debatable. Obviously NHS, shop workers etc are needed more urgently to survive but society  needs the other leisure/entertainment  jobs/roles to thrive.

The staff (players) of any business are needed if that business (club) is to have any sustainability and viability in the future. There is only so long businesses can exist without income, there is only so long the government can give free money. The virus wont go until (if) a vaccine is found, what is the end game?

I expect if players want full pay and football doesnt restart soon, with no income many clubs will quickly have severe cash flow problems and as such become insolvent.

It’s debatable that NHS workers should work through this? 

I mean, I can’t respect them enough for the work they’re doing but they absolutely should be expected to work through it. Imagine soldiers not working during war-time? Fire fighters not working because a catastrophic fire has engulfed a huge building? The police not being on the streets because of riots? 

Come on now.

Edited by Leeds Fox

8 hours ago, Foxin_Mad said:

The clubs would be bankrupt in a metter of months. So I suppose us as fans lose our clubs, hundreds of years of affinity, memories, history and tradition. Every club maybe in the same position but is that really a position we want to be in. Supporting some Phoenix MK Don's style teams that is reformed in 2 years time?

But football with no clubs is...well nothing!  It's better the clubs play now and exist when we can return, than never being able to watch Leicester again. 

I'd rather that than never go to a live game involving Leicester City FC again, which is possible if we dont get playing soon.

Yes we may get the reformed Leicester Foxes FC formed in 2022 but that wont be quite the same either, MK Don's esq.

Of course behind closed door games are far from ideal, and not the same but its temporary to keep the things we enjoy ticking over.

There’s never been anything tabled that the clubs intend not to play.

Don’t you think the clubs would go into a collective financial agreement with the players?

Every club in the World has the same dilemma, this isn’t restricted to just a few. So actions would be taken as one to ensure the game remains as it is.  

There’s a high likelyhood we will be playing in some form over the coming weeks. I just don’t see the race to get it back on so quick. The World is learning more about the virus on a week to week basis. The footballers will more informed in a weeks time than they are now. The same applies in a month and so on. 

11 hours ago, nnickn said:

If (god forbid) one of Deeneys loved ones gets the virus, will he expect the doctors nurses and Paramedics to work?

I know he served time for assault but he seems sound off field now. I like Deeney and I like listening to him. Pearson has been stating concerns throughout all this and has stated that he doesn't insist on players reporting for training. Deeney has already taken a pay cut, and said if he doesn't go back then he will take another one

I don't get why people are kicking off. I'm guessing his son, who is 5 and has difficulties breathing, takes priority over playing football. Everybody keeps saying "football isn't that important" and then as soon as someone comes out with this everybody kicks off.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

I know he served time for assault but he seems sound off field now. I like Deeney and I like listening to him. Pearson has been stating concerns throughout all this and has stated that he doesn't insist on players reporting for training. Deeney has already taken a pay cut, and said if he doesn't go back then he will take another one

I don't get why people are kicking off. I'm guessing his son, who is 5 and has difficulties breathing, takes priority over playing football. Everybody keeps saying "football isn't that important" and then as soon as someone comes out with this everybody kicks off.

Absolutely! It's ridiculous that folk are having a go at him. If my child was 5 months old and had breathing difficulties, there is no way I would be at work. He's looking out for his family and people are skating him for it? It's mad. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, brucey said:

I don't get this. Millions of people around the world are able to enjoy watching football on TV without having to go to the pub or attending the match in person. If we won the FA Cup with a 90th min winner, I'm sure plenty would celebrate in front of their TVs at home. And there would be plenty of banter over text to Villa supporting mates etc. Sure the atmosphere on TV would be really shit, but that's not that much different than when we were on a losing run. 

Out of interest do you go to games often? Because surely if you do you know that so much of the game is about the interaction with the crowd and the passion. The premier league has sold a big part of it's appeal based on this.

Recently started playing fifa and thought it was interesting that two of the biggest developments since I last played were the fans interaction (cut scenes to the crowd, celebrations in the crowd) and the real fan chants. It's a huge part of the game and I have a real concern that some of the money men in suits don't really get this.

On what basis do you assume the league honchos don’t get that fan interaction is important?  It’s not like anybody has any choice in this - it’s football with no fans or no football for at least a year and probably longer.  It’s fine if you don’t watch, but don’t patronize those who will with that “not real football, not real fans” BS.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Leeds Fox said:

It’s debatable that NHS workers should work through this? 

I mean, I can’t respect them enough for the work they’re doing but they absolutely should be expected to work through it. Imagine soldiers not working during war-time? Fire fighters not working because a catastrophic fire has engulfed a huge building? The police not being on the streets because of riots? 

Come on now.

Think you have misunderstood the post. Of course the NHS and emergency workers will be working, it sort of comes with the territory, why they should be paid more for working on the front line.

My point is that other industries are important to the well-being of the nation especially is iconic institutions of lost.

1 hour ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

There’s never been anything tabled that the clubs intend not to play.

Don’t you think the clubs would go into a collective financial agreement with the players?

Every club in the World has the same dilemma, this isn’t restricted to just a few. So actions would be taken as one to ensure the game remains as it is.  

There’s a high likelyhood we will be playing in some form over the coming weeks. I just don’t see the race to get it back on so quick. The World is learning more about the virus on a week to week basis. The footballers will more informed in a weeks time than they are now. The same applies in a month and so on. 

There has not, I think most clubs realises the financial necessity to restart whilst they have some cash, but surely if 10 Players from a few clubs decide not? to play because they deem it 'unsafe' then it will be not practical to restart. 

My point is that is we don't restart and finish this season, we are not starting next season in August or whenever and completing it during the already 'dangerous' winter flu season. The implications of that are a lot of football clubs out of business. 

This is a multi million pound industry, as always if the players do what they are told to they will be 99.9% safe. Of course there is a a history of some players doing silly things. 

They probably are not going to restart now before mid June as a month of private controlled training is needed, how far do we push it back? We have known and learnt since day one to take precautions to minimise the spread, and that hygiene (as always) is important, we know that those over 60 are most at risk, and those with pre-exisiting conditions. By all means protect those people to the fullest extent, but don't let it absolutely screw life for the rest of us who are going to have our lifestyles (lose jobs and homes) damaged for the rest of our lives because of the financial and social implications of this massive over reaction. The long term damage caused by all of this for the majority of people who are fit and healthy and were living good enjoyable lives is far more terrifying than this virus. 

11 hours ago, fox_up_north said:

At some point I do think footballers need to decide if they want redundancy or not. If I was given the option to return to working in a school full time (as many teachers will be) or being redundant I know which I'd, reluctantly I might add, choose.

If I'd been making £65k a week for the last four years I might feel different. 

An easy way to get their contract torn up and then sign for another club in a years time with an 8 figure signing on fee? Sounds lovely.

Listening to 606 from the weekend just gone, an hour in a Newcastle fan has rang in comparing the human rights allegations against the potential new owners to Mike Ashley ruining the football club. Honestly one of the most deluded fans I've listened to, makes some of us on here seem like geniuses

2 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Obviously fans in stadiums is preferable, atmospheres are preferable, the match day experience is preferable. I miss going to games, I can't wait for it to come back and even watching on TV its definitely weird watching empty grounds. 

But anyone that prefers no football to behind closed doors just isn't a fan of the actual sport itself. I mean the simple game of football. And I guess that's absolutely fair enough, I mean, don't get me wrong whatever floats your boat. People like Love Island and the X Factor, they like Adele and Arianna Grande, I don't. You're allowed to like TIFO and ultras and calling the opposition fans willy pullers, I don't resent you that. 

But objecting to there actually being football to watch on the telly? Politely do one. First and foremost, I love the actual game and the fact the best pros in the world are actually getting back to playing it? And I can break up the boredom of being on lockdown by watching it? As long as they're kept fairly safe then god bless it. 

100% this. I absolutely loved playing Sunday league football, there were no fans at that, but love for the game is love for the game.

I was really enjoying the Bundesliga games I watched even without fans. I actually had music on at the same time. 

• Like 1

Obviously fans in stadiums is preferable, atmospheres are preferable, the match day experience is preferable. I miss going to games, I can't wait for it to come back and even watching on TV its definitely weird watching empty grounds. 

But anyone that prefers no football to behind closed doors just isn't a fan of the actual sport itself. I mean the simple game of football. And I guess that's absolutely fair enough, I mean, don't get me wrong whatever floats your boat. People like Love Island and the X Factor, they like Adele and Arianna Grande, I don't. You're allowed to like TIFO and ultras and calling the opposition fans willy pullers, I don't resent you that. 

But objecting to there actually being football to watch on the telly? Politely do one. First and foremost, I love the actual game and the fact the best pros in the world are actually getting back to playing it? And I can break up the boredom of being on lockdown by watching it? As long as they're kept fairly safe then god bless it. 

Beautiful post. Spot on.

Nobody has objected to football on TV. I thought you were a better poster than seeing an argument as 2+2=5. 

I don’t see the urgency more than anything else or why football supporters feel the need to vilify footballers choosing not to play. We have football on television now, just wait for the information to come through from the scientists and we will be ready kick off soon 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

5 hours ago, Abrasive fox said:

Out of interest do you go to games often? Because surely if you do you know that so much of the game is about the interaction with the crowd and the passion. The premier league has sold a big part of it's appeal based on this.

Recently started playing fifa and thought it was interesting that two of the biggest developments since I last played were the fans interaction (cut scenes to the crowd, celebrations in the crowd) and the real fan chants. It's a huge part of the game and I have a real concern that some of the money men in suits don't really get this.

I have been to games, but not often, as I no longer live in Leicester, don't drive, and sometimes work weekends. 

It really annoys me when the few who are lucky enough to go to games in person, think that the rest of us should be deprived of our weekly entertainment and escape, just because watching behind closed doors football on TV is not as good as going in person. We know that perfectly well, thanks. 

Edited by brucey
  • Like 3

Newcastle Utd fans on Twitter once again doing themselves proud in their ever-continuing desperation for the Saudi Regime to take them over.

All I've read so far is "What about their other investments" rather than addressing the actual point. I've no problem, frankly, with fans wanting this take over to happen, but I object to the harrassment, haranguing and defending of a brutal regime whenever someone even flinches at criticism. It's weird. So weird.

I mean yes while also no.

The atmosphere of the crowd directly affects the game. The tempo of all games was so drearily slow it was nigh on unwatchable for me.

It felt like I was watching two groups of elite footballers train against each other as opposed to the blood thirsty derby it would have been had fans been allowed to watch.

I'll probably feel different when it comes to watching games i'm actively invested in (games that affect Leicester City) but I really couldn't care less for watching more of the Bundesliga. It was very bizarre and not really my cup of tea.

I love all aspects of football and the crowd/atmosphere is a very big aspect of it. 

4 hours ago, Foxin_Mad said:

There has not, I think most clubs realises the financial necessity to restart whilst they have some cash, but surely if 10 Players from a few clubs decide not? to play because they deem it 'unsafe' then it will be not practical to restart. 

My point is that is we don't restart and finish this season, we are not starting next season in August or whenever and completing it during the already 'dangerous' winter flu season. The implications of that are a lot of football clubs out of business. 

This is a multi million pound industry, as always if the players do what they are told to they will be 99.9% safe. Of course there is a a history of some players doing silly things. 

They probably are not going to restart now before mid June as a month of private controlled training is needed, how far do we push it back? We have known and learnt since day one to take precautions to minimise the spread, and that hygiene (as always) is important, we know that those over 60 are most at risk, and those with pre-exisiting conditions. By all means protect those people to the fullest extent, but don't let it absolutely screw life for the rest of us who are going to have our lifestyles (lose jobs and homes) damaged for the rest of our lives because of the financial and social implications of this massive over reaction. The long term damage caused by all of this for the majority of people who are fit and healthy and were living good enjoyable lives is far more terrifying than this virus. 

So those clubs forfeit their TV and prize money. The clubs will get players out playing for them. They need the TV money.

Your MK dons analogy didn’t feel work earlier because when Wimbledon went pop they reformed, reclaimed their history and are in the process of building a ground in their locality. Hundreds of instances where football clubs come back 

UEFA are aiming for the European competitions to be completed for end of August. So next start will be starting late September at best. 

The PL could literally look at it week by week. As I’ve said before Russia could start as late as 28th July. The league is completely compromised as it is. Spurs for example have a fully fit Harry Kane and Son as their strikers now. Trips to grounds like Bramall Lane are void of their atmosphere. We have a tier of teams in middle who simply won’t care 

As for the last paragraph, I really don’t see what it as to do with football or Premier League 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

16 minutes ago, The whole world smiles said:

Beautiful post. Spot on.

Agreed, Finnegan is spot on. 

It may not be the same experience without fans but I would much prefer to watch a mute game than there to be no football at all.