Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

1 hour ago, Blue ROI said:

Pearson was brought into fight off potential relegation so the target is still the same for him I imagine.

He's the kind of manager who is suited to this.

He's nothing to lose by going back. You'll be a better judge of this than me but he seems to have done quite decent given the situation he was handed. Maybe boosted by the Liverpool win but that was only the 2nd loss they have had in nearly 2 seasons. 

You'd hate to be relegated of course but given the situation I wouldn't go blaming him heavily if ye did go down. 

Sure no one will - he have given us a chance. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Lionator said:

0.8%. Considering we've been in lockdown I still think that's quite a lot. 

Incidentally it would be interesting to know how many players have had it.

Supermarkets are the biggest place to potentially get it (or certainly were in the first phase of lockdown)

Guest Markyblue
16 minutes ago, Greg2607 said:

Using those "stats" (which I appreciate are probably flawed and not representative) that equates to just over 500,000 people in the UK who would test positive if everyone were tested today.

That's a fairly large amount!

Those tested i assume had no symptoms, so to me it just shows how many people have had it and not been aware. 

Guest Markyblue
14 minutes ago, kingfox said:

3 clubs 

Would be a coincidence if they happen to be Bournemouth, Villa and Norwich :whistle:

Coronavirus party anyone......

IMO this season should be played to a conclusion as soon as it is safe to do so, there is too much at stake for a lot of clubs both Premier and Championship, this obviously means there is going to be disruption in one of the next two seasons to bring the start date back on track.

Either play next season one fixture only or wait until the 2022 World Cup in Qatar (Nov - Dec) and have a one fixture season then 

24 minutes ago, Markyblue said:

Those tested i assume had no symptoms, so to me it just shows how many people have had it and not been aware. 

It's also an opportunity to monitor those people to see how the virus develops, or doesn't develop. 

1 hour ago, kingfox said:

3 clubs 

Would be a coincidence if they happen to be Bournemouth, Villa and Norwich :whistle:

Bournemouth have been the quietest of the bottom six generally, I may have missed it but I haven't heard from that at all about how they think the season should end or returning to training.

2 hours ago, Abrasive fox said:

Currently those people will have only been told not to go to work unless they're a key worker or their job forces is unable to be done whilst working from home. You cannot compare a normal job with someone thats basically entertainment, theyre completely different.

Additionally those that are high risk will end up not working, in a football scenario where the competition is high youre going to end up with a scenario where several players can't play because they or their families fall into the risk category, meaning you'll have several players sat on the sidelines doing nothing. 

I think the resentment from some shown towards players is bizarre. This sort of 'shut up and entertain me' attitude I cannot understand.

I dont think its resentment, its reality. Who pays for players to remain on full pay, with clubs generating no revenue? TV companies wont pay for coverage of events not happening, people wont subscribe to SkySports with no sport on? There isnt an endless pot of money to pay out millions a week.

Either clubs go bankrupt when they run out, which will happen and players are made redundant on statutory redundancy or players go on furlough pay until football can 100% safely resume in 1-2 years time.

2 hours ago, Abrasive fox said:

I think the resentment from some shown towards players is bizarre. This sort of 'shut up and entertain me' attitude I cannot understand.

If football is behind closed doors for the future, what do we actually gain as supporters? 

There’s no occasion to rub it in to other supporters, there’s no pub for banter, there’s no celebrations, there’s highly unlikely to be any fans at European competitions. We would have a few hours of entertainment once a week; a distraction. Think of how horrible winning the FA Cup could be in front of no one. 

From a fans perspective I don’t understand the need to get football back in a closed doors scenario. There’s an argument to say it’s  financially required but every club would be in the same state and there’s very little as a fan we could do about that. 

We are still in the infancy of this process. Bundesliga has shown the way but we are weeks behind Germany as a country in the process. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

If football is behind closed doors for the future, what do we actually gain as supporters? 

There’s no occasion to rub it in to other supporters, there’s no pub for banter, there’s no celebrations, there’s highly unlikely to be any fans at European competitions. We would have a few hours of entertainment once a week; a distraction. Think of how horrible winning the FA Cup could be in front of no one. 

I don't get this. Millions of people around the world are able to enjoy watching football on TV without having to go to the pub or attending the match in person. If we won the FA Cup with a 90th min winner, I'm sure plenty would celebrate in front of their TVs at home. And there would be plenty of banter over text to Villa supporting mates etc. Sure the atmosphere on TV would be really shit, but that's not that much different than when we were on a losing run. 

Edited by brucey
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, brucey said:

I don't get this. Millions of people around the world are able to enjoy watching football on TV without having to go to the pub or attending the match in person. If we won the FA Cup with a 90th min winner, I'm sure plenty would celebrate in front of their TVs at home. And there would be plenty of banter over text to Villa supporting mates etc. 

It is not the same though, not by any stretch, lets be honest. 

One of my favourite things is celebrating with random people I don't know in away ends.

Of course people enjoy watching on TV etc but it's not the same as being there.

• Like 1

Guest Markyblue
5 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

It is not the same though, not by any stretch, lets be honest. 

One of my favourite things is celebrating with random people I don't know in away ends.

Of course people enjoy watching on TV etc but it's not the same as being there.

Football with no fans is not football. 

32 minutes ago, brucey said:

I don't get this. Millions of people around the world are able to enjoy watching football on TV without having to go to the pub or attending the match in person. If we won the FA Cup with a 90th min winner, I'm sure plenty would celebrate in front of their TVs at home. And there would be plenty of banter over text to Villa supporting mates etc. Sure the atmosphere on TV would be really shit, but that's not that much different than when we were on a losing run. 

Okay we score last minute FA Cup Final, run around our living room. What then? 

No European trip for the fans, no trophy parade, no opportunity to get together in the city. There’s no memories except being sat at home on your armchair. You only have to remember 2016 how football unites people - the whole city for a summer buzzed. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Abrasive fox said:

Currently those people will have only been told not to go to work unless they're a key worker or their job forces is unable to be done whilst working from home. You cannot compare a normal job with someone thats basically entertainment, theyre completely different.

I'm not sure Amazon delivery drivers, Takeaway works, construction worker TV presenters etc are key workers! 

Additionally those that are high risk will end up not working, in a football scenario where the competition is high youre going to end up with a scenario where several players can't play because they or their families fall into the risk category, meaning you'll have several players sat on the sidelines doing nothing. 

I work with a number of people in the NHS who family are high risk and have been given the choice of come to work and stay at alternative accommodation or take A/L or unpaid leave.

No resentment for me, just a realism that they can't have there cake and eat it, play and get paid or don't play and don't get paid.

They are privileged that they can probably make the choice not to work and not have to worry about money for the rest of there lives.

I just think it's an interesting debate! 

Edited by coolhandfox

At some point I do think footballers need to decide if they want redundancy or not. If I was given the option to return to working in a school full time (as many teachers will be) or being redundant I know which I'd, reluctantly I might add, choose.

If I'd been making £65k a week for the last four years I might feel different. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

There’s an argument to say it’s  financially required but every club would be in the same state and there’s very little as a fan we could do about that. 

The clubs would be bankrupt in a metter of months. So I suppose us as fans lose our clubs, hundreds of years of affinity, memories, history and tradition. Every club maybe in the same position but is that really a position we want to be in. Supporting some Phoenix MK Don's style teams that is reformed in 2 years time?

3 hours ago, Markyblue said:

Football with no fans is not football. 

But football with no clubs is...well nothing!  It's better the clubs play now and exist when we can return, than never being able to watch Leicester again. 

3 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Okay we score last minute FA Cup Final, run around our living room. What then? 

No European trip for the fans, no trophy parade, no opportunity to get together in the city. There’s no memories except being sat at home on your armchair. You only have to remember 2016 how football unites people - the whole city for a summer buzzed. 

I'd rather that than never go to a live game involving Leicester City FC again, which is possible if we dont get playing soon.

Yes we may get the reformed Leicester Foxes FC formed in 2022 but that wont be quite the same either, MK Don's esq.

Of course behind closed door games are far from ideal, and not the same but its temporary to keep the things we enjoy ticking over.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, brucey said:

It's not the same as attending, sharing with your mates but if it's your only option,  which it is for me,  it's better than nothing. BCD isn't a great option but it's better than nothing temporarily and clubs going out of business. 

• Like 1