Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

3 hours ago, Markyblue said:

I think it's fair to say the whole fit and proper person thing is a load of bollocks.  These people literally kill people they disagree with and they are going to run a premier league club,  not because they are into football but it legitimizes them, absolutely shamefull .

Not the Premier league I know but when we had Bassini taking over he had been bankrupt twice and changed his name because of it.

Has a  takeover ever been blocked ?

Edited by Super_horns

11 hours ago, peach0000 said:

Government funding isn’t in the spirit of the game but that’s only a small part of the issue. It’s the fact it’s the Saudi government that’s the big issue that’s unacceptable for me. Where will the premier league draw the line? Would it be okay for Bashar Al-Assad to buy Burnley or Kim Jong Un to buy brighton? Genuinely confused at what point they’d say no.

Do we have normalised diplomatic relations with Saudi ?  We seem happy to sell them weapons .......  maybe if we took a principled stand on arms supplies we could justify a principled stand on allowing the same people to buy our football clubs .......

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Do we have normalised diplomatic relations with Saudi ?  We seem happy to sell them weapons .......  maybe if we took a principled stand on arms supplies we could justify a principled stand on allowing the same people to buy our football clubs .......

Nice, like the idea but what about the person(s) selling, they'll want to off-load to the highest bidder.

It's akin to all these massive housing developments cropping up. You can't blame the developers when it was a decision by the original landowner to sell the land, and who wouldn't given that position.

10 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Worryingly I think we have a good diplomatic relationship with the Saudis. The big power struggle in the 

Middle East is between Iran and Saudi Arabia and the West sees the Saudis as our allies.

17 minutes ago, Spiritwalker said:

Worryingly I think we have a good diplomatic relationship with the Saudis. The big power struggle in the 

Middle East is between Iran and Saudi Arabia and the West sees the Saudis as our allies.

This I’m aware of but just making the point that being ‘friends’ with govts who are a lot less than squeaky clean makes it tough to then tell them they can’t take a financial interest in out football clubs ........I mean some big companies are struggling and could go bust with tens of thousands of job losses. What if the Saudi fund want to rescue some of these companies and there is no conflict of national security ??

36 minutes ago, David Hankey said:

Nice, like the idea but what about the person(s) selling, they'll want to off-load to the highest bidder.

It's akin to all these massive housing developments cropping up. You can't blame the developers when it was a decision by the original landowner to sell the land, and who wouldn't given that position.

Yeah, and you can't blame mass shootings on the gun toting wacko. Should have never sold him the gun 🤨

...or sold his nation the arms etc.

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

This I’m aware of but just making the point that being ‘friends’ with govts who are a lot less than squeaky clean makes it tough to then tell them they can’t take a financial interest in out football clubs ........I mean some big companies are struggling and could go bust with tens of thousands of job losses. What if the Saudi fund want to rescue some of these companies and there is no conflict of national security ??

I think the key point is the one made in your previous post, ‘principled stand’. Principles seem to go out of the window

where large sums of money are involved, both in government and most definitely in football.

Edited by Spiritwalker
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, goody2028 said:

Safe to say Newcastle fans are getting a tad carried away...

With so many challengers there isnt going to be a standard/established top 4 anymore. Even if investment was successful, Newcastle might find themselves in the top 4 one season, out the next, same goes for the bulk of the bigger teams bar Man City and Liverpool at the minute.

• Like 3

Everton have spent big for the last three seasons, got a very promising manager in, sacked him and got in Ancelotti. They’re still mediocre. If Newcastle become any good, it’ll take 5 years 

2 minutes ago, Nalis said:

With so many challengers there isnt going to be a standard/established top 4 anymore. Even if investment was successful, Newcastle might find themselves in the top 4 one season, out the next, same goes for the bulk of the bigger teams bar Man City and Liverpool at the minute.

To be fair even Man City and Liverpool are approaching the end of a cycle. Liverpool will loose a few at the end of this season, maybe even the manager if he feels he's achieved everything? Man City similar, Pep maybe has one more year left? Aguero probably not far off wanting one last challenge, Silva leaving end of the season and still plenty of issues in defence. 

I might be wrong, but think the current situation will have accelerated some peoples exit plans as they realise they've probably all lost one 'normal' season of their careers.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Everton have spent big for the last three seasons, got a very promising manager in, sacked him and got in Ancelotti. They’re still mediocre. If Newcastle become any good, it’ll take 5 years 

There's a difference between spending big and spending well though isn't there. This is what annoys me about the abuse Leipzig get. They could spent £100m on a player, but they don't, they buy ten prospects for that amount and sell them all for £40-50m each and already have three replacements lined up for each position. Yeah it might not be nice taking over and rebranding a team, but they've invested the vast sums sensibly... That's what Everton were supposed to be doing, especially when they got Walsh in, but Koeman was having none of it and they've bought crap after crap. Their one top prospect has been out on loan for two seasons! Mess of a club. 

Edited by AjcW

46 minutes ago, Spiritwalker said:

Pochettino was being interviewed on Sky and was asked if he’d consider an offer from outside the top six clubs

and replied by asking, who are the top six clubs?

I like his response, the top six thing is utter bullocks... certainly this season. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spiritwalker said:

Pochettino was being interviewed on Sky and was asked if he’d consider an offer from outside the top six clubs

and replied by asking, who are the top six clubs?

27 minutes ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

I like his response, the top six thing is utter bullocks... certainly this season. 

I know we all moan about the Sky Top Six thing but to be fair, apart from Everton (twice) Southampton (once) Newcastle (once) and us (once) the top six in the last 10 years has been consistent. We're shaking things up a bit again.

It actually took me by surprise Southampton finished 6th in 2015/16, I'd obviously not looked that far down the table much :D

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, peach0000 said:

Would it be okay for Kim Jong Un to buy brighton? Genuinely confused at what point they’d say no.

If Charlie Methven read that, he's on the line to North Korea right now with a great, one-time-only price for controlling shares in SAFC.

I think our model is the way to go, develop young players. Then maybe sell one at a huge profit each year. 

for example I still think we will make a massive profit on gray. Signed him for 3 I think we will get 10 - 15 for him.

Southampton made the mistake of selling 3 or 4 one summer.

• Like 1

A journalist on Sunday supplement has drawn a comparison between your average person commuting to work (train) and going about their day being able to avoid people better than a footballer once contact in training is brought in.

Whilst this maybe true, he's ignoring the huge fact that everyone that player will come into contact with in the training ground, will have been and continue to be tested twice a week for the virus. 

They're safer than the general public and journalists need to stop drawing stupid comparisons between 'normal work life' risks and risks the footballers face.

• Like 1

4 of the top 6? Would that be the “big 6” or the current top 6 on the league 

either way find it hard to believe 4 out of the 6 clubs would want him 

https://www.skysports.com/share/11993872

Joshua King: Four of Premier League top six want to sign Bournemouth striker

Bournemouth striker Joshua King is wanted by four of the top six clubs in the Premier League this summer.

Manchester United made a £20m bid for King on Deadline Day in January but they did not improve their offer after it was rejected.