Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
FoxinNotts

Arjen Robben

Seems an unlikely signing too me. Undecided if it would be beneficial. Fancy? yes. Useful, not so sure.

An older experienced head may help the young uns, but it does seem against the modus operandi of the club.

Likely to miss half a season injured and be expensive, on the flip side it doesn’t block the pathway our players like Barnes too much, whilst also giving us another option. So that sort of signing would make sense for a season until he see how good Gray and Barnes can be.

Edited by Babylon
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Likely to miss half a season injured and be expensive, on the flip side it doesn’t block the pathway our players like Barnes too much, whilst also giving us another option. So that sort of signing would make sense for a season until he see how good Gray and Barnes can be.

Think you've hit the nail on the head there. The more I think about it, the more it does make sense. You'd think he understands he's not a guaranteed starter now too.

As long as his wages aren't insane, I'm all for it. Would love our wingers to learn from him.

Edited by CloudFox

7 minutes ago, Wolfox said:

Surely this is all nonsense?  Doesn’t fit our profile one bit…

Probably, yes. That’s the most likely outcome because we were linked by bookmakers initially but now other outlets jumped in on the slow news day story it’s become real in a fake sort of way.

• Like 1

On a team full of talented kids Robben is a perfect fit.  Not only can he teach the likes of (especially) Barnes and Maddison every trick in the book, he's an SOB who busts his ass on the pitch, opponents hate facing and will get in a youngster's face if he's dogging it.  Contrary to what some here are saying, I think he'd be 100% first choice on the right if he's healthy, with plenty of rest built into his playing schedule.

Edited by Deeg67
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, Babylon said:

I'm excited, who knows if it'll actually happen?

For me it would be a statement signing, for club, fans and players. This is what we aspire to be.

Great inspiration for our younger players, especially the wingers/attackers. 

11 hours ago, The whole world smiles said:

James miller is one dimensional. Yet he starts games and ahead of shakiri (apologies for spelling). Managers love work rate and tactical know how in players sadly it seems fans don't. 

Managers love having players like that in their squad but ask Klopp who his strongest 11 is and I'm sure Milner will not be in it. He has versatility on his side which means he's 2nd choice in alot of positions, but Albrighton has been poor on the rare occasion he's played centrally and is untested at full back (probably for good reason) 

I stand by what I say, he's a great option to have, but his inclusion should be situational, not nailed on. If he is our starting winger next season, we haven't done well enough in the window. 

17 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

Probably, yes. That’s the most likely outcome because we were linked by bookmakers initially but now other outlets jumped in on the slow news day story it’s become real in a fake sort of way.

Robben saying himself it's been discussed doesn't dissuade you from calling it most likely bogus?

If it was genuine, it’s one of those isn’t it.... a player like Robben could really go either way but on a free, and on reasonable wages I don’t think it would be too much of a risk. Like a few have said it’s never a bad thing to have a player of his quality at the club, young players can learn so much from a player like him, and if he was to spend half the season injured then so what? I’d imagine his stature alone would be a huge benefit to the club. 

The proof is in the pudding when it comes to older players, Sir Les, Esteban? 35 in this day an age is nothing, and if you can get one good season out of him and he contributes toward a trophy and a top 8 finish then your gamble has paid off. 

• Like 1

There is absolutely nothing in this.

Odd's have gone so low just because Rodgers mentioned Robben whilst at Chelsea in a conference. Absolutely nothing to indicate we are in for him, that he is interested in us. If he doesn't return to Holland, he will retire. 

49 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

Pinch of salt but didn’t someone post a link to him saying it was an option?

59 minutes ago, Wolfox said:

Surely this is all nonsense?  Doesn’t fit our profile one bit…

We can’t just but kids and only kids. I think signing the odd old head to fill a squad space fits our profile exactly. It doesn’t stunt the growth of younger players as they won’t expect to start and will understand their space in the squad. See Wes and Fuchs extensions.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Pinch of salt but didn’t someone post a link to him saying it was an option?

That article completely misquoted him, he was talking about retiring being an option not joining Leicester 

• Like 1

The bulk of our transfer kitty will hopefully be going on Tielemans, so we're not going to be able to afford a marquee signing on a winger this window.

Getting a slightly-past-his-best world-class player for a year is risk-free in my eyes, even if he does miss a few games through injury.

If we get him fit and firing, him and Barnes on the wings will be something else.

5 minutes ago, Ted Maul said:

The bulk of our transfer kitty will hopefully be going on Tielemans, so we're not going to be able to afford a marquee signing on a winger this window.

Getting a slightly-past-his-best world-class player for a year is risk-free in my eyes, even if he does miss a few games through injury.

If we get him fit and firing, him and Barnes on the wings will be something else.

After Tielemens the winger is the one player were off breaking the top 6... and we have missed a winger since Mahrez left.

Spend now while we have momentum with this young squad.

Rogers wouldn't of come in if he was told hes only allowed one top player in the summer.

Edited by les-tah

One year contract around 100k a week seems low risk for what we would gain in his experience, plus the fact he would still scare the s*it out of most full backs and the young lads can learn from him. Hope Brendan makes this happen 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, les-tah said:

After Tielemens the winger is the one player were off breaking the top 6... and we have missed a winger since Mahrez left.

Spend now while we have momentum with this young squad.

Rogers wouldn't of come in if he was told hes only allowed one top player in the summer.

He explicitly said when he signed that there weren't any discussions about summer transfer budgets. Now, I don't believe that for a second but I don't think its too farfetched that we only go for one marquee, long-term signing per year (or at least, per window).

It's easier said than done to pick up an exciting young prospect; we have a chance with Tielemans because of the special circumstances with the loan and Silva but the majority of players in that sort of bracket are still outside our grasp. A player like Robben on a short-term deal could well push us into that top-6 bracket, and with European football we'd instantly become much more attractive to that 'tier' of player.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wardyfox86 said:

Managers love having players like that in their squad but ask Klopp who his strongest 11 is and I'm sure Milner will not be in it. He has versatility on his side which means he's 2nd choice in alot of positions, but Albrighton has been poor on the rare occasion he's played centrally and is untested at full back (probably for good reason) 

I stand by what I say, he's a great option to have, but his inclusion should be situational, not nailed on. If he is our starting winger next season, we haven't done well enough in the window. 

I get what your saying and I'm not arguing that albrighton should be starting every week but Millner will start the champions League final in my humble opinion. Because Klopp knows he can trust him. Same a Park Ji sung in the champions League final against Chelsea.

Edited by The whole world smiles
  • Like 1