Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Shaker01

Bury FC.

2 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

What Chinese consortium is going to buy Bury ffs lol

Bolton could be more plausible. Bigger club, bigger fanbase, Premier League standard stadium...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

It's why I specified bury like, even Bolton needs a significant amount of investment they've not even got a squad really 

I think there's more potential there. Anyone who buys the club will almost definitely have to stand relegation to League Two, but once that's out of the way, you've a club that will dwarf anyone in the division.

Decent owners would easily take them out of League Two, have a good stab at League One and then you've got a club with a modern 27,000 capacity stadium and the fanbase to fill it.

Bury's potential is more limited. Yo-yoing between Leagues One and Two, attendances below 5,000 and very little Championship football for years. They are, and always have been, a small, local working-class club with a fanbase to match. The reality is that they're best served with a local ownership structure, which could and should offer a stable but unremarkable future  whereas Bolton could conceivably attract sizeable foreign investment. That, of course, could be triumph or disaster. 

5 minutes ago, Bilo said:

I think there's more potential there. Anyone who buys the club will almost definitely have to stand relegation to League Two, but once that's out of the way, you've a club that will dwarf anyone in the division.

Decent owners would easily take them out of League Two, have a good stab at League One and then you've got a club with a modern 27,000 capacity stadium and the fanbase to fill it.

Bury's potential is more limited. Yo-yoing between Leagues One and Two, attendances below 5,000 and very little Championship football for years. They are, and always have been, a small, local working-class club with a fanbase to match. The reality is that they're best served with a local ownership structure, which could and should offer a stable but unremarkable future  whereas Bolton could conceivably attract sizeable foreign investment. That, of course, could be triumph or disaster. 

Actually agree on this, regarding that a rich owner/consortium (foreign or not) has more potential in taking over at Bolton than Bury.

The bit in bold has made to ask:

Would your view here be the same with Lincoln City FC (a club that is growing well on-and-off the pitch and is similarly sized to Bury)?*

*I thought this would be relevant, as think you've mentioned in the past on this forum that you support then as well as LCFC and/or live/work that way?

(Apologies if I'm incorrect in this assumption.)

Edited by Wymeswold fox

3 minutes ago, Bilo said:

Bury need someone who isn't in it to make a load of cash and wants the club to be part of the community and not one of these endless amounts of owners who think every small club can make it into the premiership.  Some clubs will always have limitations and should be run frugally, you can still have success that way but it wont be quick.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Actually agree on this, regarding that a rich owner/consortium (foreign or not) has more potential in taking over at Bolton than Bury.

The bit in bold has made to ask:

Would your view here be the same with Lincoln City FC (a club that is growing well on-and-off the pitch and is similarly sized to Bury)?*

*I thought this would be relevant, as think you've mentioned in the past on this forum that you support then as well as LCFC and/or live/work that way?

(Apologies if I'm incorrect in this assumption.)

I live in Lincolnshire and have a soft spot for Lincoln, but that's about it.

I would agree, yes. Not every club can, or should, have billionaire owners who want their club to be a plaything to progress through the leagues at all costs. With clubs of that size, it's never going to be sustainable and they'll always be in a dangerous state of dependency on the money tap.

There is nothing wrong with local ownership or even fan ownership in these instances. In fact, it's better. Clubs like Lincoln and Bury need someone at the helm who understands the community and the role the club plays within it, not some Singaporean billionaire whose football knowledge is constructed by YouTube and thinks he can sign Mbappe up to a spell at Gigg Lane. 

• Like 1

Didn’t realise their grounds were only 10 miles apart.

You have to wOnder whether there is enough support to keep both clubs in the EFL especially with so many other football distractions

Utter ineptitude all round. 

Dale is a serial business wrecker, the EFL were staggeringly inept in allowing him to take charge of the club and the disparity in TV money from Sky simply hammers more nails into the coffin. 

The result is that a 134-year-old club is now dead with debatable prospects for a phoenix club given the sheer volume of clubs in Greater Manchester and Dale clinging on to Gigg Lane for dear life.

• Like 1

Interesting how everyone is quick to blame the EFL as youd expect.

And yet no one blames the due dilligence of the previous owners who sell the clubs to these spunk trumpets in the first place.

If you dont run a sustainable business your business folds.

So what if the EFL helped out? Theyd be in that position again in 10 years time like chester without properly managing the club.

Theres only space for 20 teams at the top. You gamble you stand to lose.

And in gambling theres always more losers than winners.