Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Shaker01

Bury FC.

4 hours ago, filbertway said:

So what has this chap Steve Dale done wrong. Struggling to find what he has done wrong himself, he seems to have come in just over a season ago when the club was already looking pretty desperate financially.

Can anyone point to any decent articles or posts that explain what he has done in the past year to make matters worse?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/jun/25/bury-owner-steve-dale-debts-winding-up-petition-points-penalty

18 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Seems to be what I have already read. I'm struggling to find out what he has done himself.

From the outside, it seems like a bloke who came into a club in a mess and has started trying to solve the problem. Possibly bought the club under false pretenses and isn't keeping up to promises he made...although I've not seen anything to suggest that.

Would be genuinely interested to hear exactly what has happened eventually.

• Like 1

On 19/08/2019 at 13:53, Cardiff_Fox said:

Worth mentioning to the arguments about Prem club bailing out. 

Man City gave Bury access to their old training ground - no rent, just simply keep the property maintained. They didn't. 

Stuff like this makes me a bit sceptical about it all. It's hard. I don't want them to die at all but I don't agree with them being given a safety net to run themselves like this either. It's unfair on lots of other clubs who've not had this problem. Mansfield Town were basically robbed of promotion last year by this.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Manwell Pablo said:

Not really fair that is it. 

As Cardiff pointed out they've been involved with Salford for a long time and cannot get involved in Bury's situation now as they compete in the same league as Salford, it's a total conflict of interest. 

They didn't cause this and it is certainly not on them to sort it out,

I suppose however Bury's troubles have been going on for some time. I mean they've almost went to the trouble of building a new football club, while they could invested into well established club with a lot of history. I can imagine they must have thought about it somewhere down the line. 

Forgive me if this against the rules but can't someone just walk away from one football club and buy another... like couldn't one brother stay at Salford and the other takes over at Bury, cutting off all his ties with Salford. 

14 hours ago, Leicesterpool said:

I suppose however Bury's troubles have been going on for some time. I mean they've almost went to the trouble of building a new football club, while they could invested into well established club with a lot of history. I can imagine they must have thought about it somewhere down the line. 

Forgive me if this against the rules but can't someone just walk away from one football club and buy another... like couldn't one brother stay at Salford and the other takes over at Bury, cutting off all his ties with Salford. 

Well no that is ridiculous

Getting involved with Bury would of been a lot more expensive and complicated than taking Salford on, besides it wasn't just the Neville's involved with Salford it was the entirety of the class of 92 bar Beckham (who is now involved). So they picked somewhere that had relevance to them all. Bury were in nothing like the mess they are now when the Salford take over started

Lets remember the Neville brothers are individuals and former sportsman not business men, they earn a good whack but I doubt they have enough money or experience to run a club like Bury by themselves, they only own 10% of Salford each, the kind of time and money they would have to invest to as a new sole owner of a club like Bury in the trouble it is would be absolutly astronomical compared to Salford.  like I said it was not them who got Bury into this mess I do not see why people are viewing them as the ones who morally should walk out on everything they have spent and all the years of building at Salford take on the mammoth task of sorting it out, it's nothing to do with them.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Manwell Pablo said:

Well no that is ridiculous

Getting involved with Bury would of been a lot more expensive and complicated than taking Salford on, besides it wasn't just the Neville's involved with Salford it was the entirety of the class of 92 bar Beckham (who is now involved). So they picked somewhere that had relevance to them all. Bury were in nothing like the mess they are now when the Salford take over started

Lets remember the Neville brothers are individuals and former sportsman not business men, they earn a good whack but I doubt they have enough money or experience to run a club like Bury by themselves, they only own 10% of Salford each, the kind of time and money they would have to invest to as a new sole owner of a club like Bury in the trouble it is would be absolutly astronomical compared to Salford.  like I said it was not them who got Bury into this mess I do not see why people are viewing them as the ones who morally should walk out on everything they have spent and all the years of building at Salford take on the mammoth task of sorting it out, it's nothing to do with them.

Exactly. 

With respect to salford, when the '92 took over, they were in non-league with a much smaller following compared to the likes of Bury. The '92 were able to go in and put their mark, stamp and vision onto the club. Which would cost significantly less at Salford than at an established league club like Bury. 

Arguably they had and have the opportunity to build a proper legacy at Salford and lets them grow themselves as owners with the club rather than diving straight in at a club like Bury.

But to ask them to walk away from a set up they've worked hard on to allow them all to continue their media/coaching commitments into a place that will frankly need 24/7 attention until cleared.

On 21/08/2019 at 16:45, filbertway said:

Seems to be what I have already read. I'm struggling to find out what he has done himself.

From the outside, it seems like a bloke who came into a club in a mess and has started trying to solve the problem. Possibly bought the club under false pretenses and isn't keeping up to promises he made...although I've not seen anything to suggest that.

Would be genuinely interested to hear exactly what has happened eventually.

A family member of his has effectively bought the debt at a knockdown price (this via the administrators - the debt was bought from previous owners company) and then via a CVA hope to claim back more. (It’s daughters partner who set up the company two days before the CVA was agreed) 

In his time at the club he’s added further to the debt pushing it towards a CVA agreement. 

So for example buy the debt of £500 at £100, but then CVA says that 50% of creditors are to be paid....therefore company stands to gain £250. £150 profit 

The latest deal what was offered to Dale would have seen him claim nearly a million after buying the club for a pound. 

Throw in the bizarrre online statements and seemingly fainting a serious illness aswell, the bloke comes across as a morally corrupt crook 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

Bury have until midnight.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/49434347

It's sad to see clubs in the lower divisions having to go through such a mess. Portsmouth, Blackpool, Bolton, Coventry, Birmingham.

This is from a year ago:

Clubs that have faced winding-up petitions between 2012-13 and 2016-17
Championship: Bolton, Nottingham Forest, Ipswich Town, Leeds United
League One: Oldham Athletic, Southend United, Swindon Town, Port Vale, Bury
League Two: Leyton Orient, Hartlepool United, Notts County, Mansfield Town, Accrington Stanley, Wycombe Wanderers, Northampton Town, Carlisle United.
Note: Club placed in the league their last winding-up petition was issued against them.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/41083617

There needs to be a better financial oversight of spending, expenses and a more thorough check of current owners' financial prowess and the true financial backing of potential new buyers. 

But I do also see issues stemming from the Premier League, dripping down the tiers below. There's so much money involved in the top flight, that more and more clubs below, starting in the Championship, have a hard time competing, especially with the newly-relegated ones.

Players' wages have gone through the roof for smaller teams, maintenance costs in general. No easy task to run a football club these days - which clubs truly do make a regular profit? It tends to be a "bottomless barrel" as we tend to say over here. As a football club owner, you need to be willing to write off massive amounts of money. Every single season.

Football clubs also need to be more connected to their community, and if a local consortium that has the best at heart is able to either fully buy a club or at least be able to control a considerable amount of shares, that'd be a start.

At least insolvencies aren't as much a common sight any longer as they were a decade ago or before that.

Edited by MC Prussian
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

Tbf the club was in similar perils when he took over, do you block a move which could potential prove fruitful or block it and let the club die?

Follow due diligence, fit-and-proper tests. the EFL have let Bury down.

I'm afraid with all the billions in the top two tier and the cash not filtering down to the lower leagues,situations like what Bolton and Bury are in will be more prevalent.

Just think a few years ago Bolton were Premier League and Bury were always well affiliated with Man.Utd

Everyone sees the money in football,but it's not in all the league's.

Without the real hardcore fans supporting these non fashionable clubs we will end up with empty stadiums and pay per view football.