Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mullet1

Are we done now

4 minutes ago, Corky said:

Yes, just read a post on Trav's thread about FFP which makes it clearer. I think we'll sell Maguire and probably recoup a bit from Silva and Slimani.

Maguire will be worth the same next season we have no reason to sell yet. Silva and Slimani for sure

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lineker's Left Foot said:

Where are these rumours of Thauvin coming from as I’ve seen Arsenal and Man City fans saying we’ve bid for him

Just rumours on Twitter earlier. Nothing in it. 

Our outlay has been £30m for Ayoze, £12m for JJ & £40m for Youri all adds up to £82m which is nearly what you think it would take for Man U/C to nab Maguire. Which overall isn't bad business it just means when we do likely lose Harry we have to either promote Soyuncu/Benkovic or buy a replacement for more big money, perhaps another £40m player. Then people are on about adding a winger - another £25m+

We still have to shift out Adrien Silva & Slimani at a minimum, think Kelechi will be given another season. No noises around King or James yet. We managed to release Okazaki & Simpson and have replaced them appropriately, but Tielemans has replaced Silva and that ones still with us.

So I think there's still business to be done, mainly out. We've got off to a solid start and are about halfway there overall. We'll be spending more than we make either way and that's incredible if we've received over £100m come 8th of August.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spicer said:

We need to shift some players on if possible. We have a lot of fringe players and a large squad. King, James etc

Ghazzel, Diabate Slimani etc probably need to go or at least go on loan. I have a feeling we could see 1 maybe 2 more new players in.

No way we splash anywhere close to 40 on a CD if Harry goes.  Whoever they sign will be for depth, not a "replacement" - the replacements are already in the squad.

The whole question of whether to sign a surefire starting winger is a fascinating one.  If you do, that either pushes Perez to the "super-utility" role or Barnes (or Maddison) to the bench.  Not that those are necessarily bad things for a club with big ambition - all of those guys would still get plenty of opportunities.  But resources are surly not infinite.  I find it hard to believe we would splash 30M on Perez unless he was targeted to start, so if we do add a frontline winger I suspect that means the default eleven sees Perez pushed to the left and Barnes to the impact sub role.

48 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

No way we splash anywhere close to 40 on a CD if Harry goes.  Whoever they sign will be for depth, not a "replacement" - the replacements are already in the squad.

The whole question of whether to sign a surefire starting winger is a fascinating one.  If you do, that either pushes Perez to the "super-utility" role or Barnes (or Maddison) to the bench.  Not that those are necessarily bad things for a club with big ambition - all of those guys would still get plenty of opportunities.  But resources are surly not infinite.  I find it hard to believe we would splash 30M on Perez unless he was targeted to start, so if we do add a frontline winger I suspect that means the default eleven sees Perez pushed to the left and Barnes to the impact sub role.

Can’t see Perez playing on the left, it’s either right wing or up top imo 

3 hours ago, Fightforever said:

I hope we aren't done now I dread to think what would happen if vardy, tielemans and maddison were all injured. Also as many have mentioned if we are going all out we may as well buy a quality winger.

We'd cope. So many what if's. What if we had a squad of 40? We can't keep buying without selling. It's fans that are saying we are going all out, the club uses terms more akin to gradually building a successful and self sustainable club. They will have a professional and considered business model that they will stick to regardless of the whims of armchair supporters sat with their cheesy wotsits scratching their bollocks whilst musing over next player video clip or media rumour. ?

Need to shift out the deadwood first.  Not going to be easy.  Slim/Jacko/James/King/Silva/Diabate would be excellent.   Rather than spending money on more additions, use it to pay-off some of the surplus?  Take the hit now rather than kick the can down the road.

17 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

Need to shift out the deadwood first.  Not going to be easy.  Slim/Jacko/James/King/Silva/Diabate would be excellent.   Rather than spending money on more additions, use it to pay-off some of the surplus?  Take the hit now rather than kick the can down the road.

We can easily shift all but king and James on loan or sell, but James is injured yet again, and on silly money, king isn’t good enough for prem and is on silly money, I’m afraid we are stuck with them until their contracts run out

49 minutes ago, Monsell1976 said:

We can easily shift all but king and James on loan or sell, but James is injured yet again, and on silly money, king isn’t good enough for prem and is on silly money, I’m afraid we are stuck with them until their contracts run out

I fear you are correct. Whoever extended James's Contract needs a reality check to avoid this happening EVER again

9 hours ago, Fightforever said:

I hope we aren't done now I dread to think what would happen if vardy, tielemans and maddison were all injured.

You can say that about nearly any team though if you take out their three best attacking players. Where would Liverpool be if Mane, Salah and Firminho were all injured. Probably only Man City who could lose Aguero, Sterling and De Bruyne and still put out a very good attacking line up.

Edited by brookfox
  • Like 3

56 minutes ago, Monsell1976 said:

I'm still holding out hope (perhaps foolishly) that Kingy can be utilised as an AM supersub... for the last 4 years he's been shoehorned into playing as an 8 which he just isn't suitable for. James hasn't demonstrated that when fit he can be reliably called upon since 2014/15, baffling that Shakespeare chose to give him that contract

11 hours ago, Babylon said:

Last year of Vards being a 20 goal a season striker (probably), a few players wanting moves come the end of the season. It all screams... if you can do it, then now is the moment.

This.  Imagine being the only club outside the usual suspects to win the bloody thing TWICE!  Don't think I'd be able to cope.

12 minutes ago, PaulW said:

This.  Imagine being the only club outside the usual suspects to win the bloody thing TWICE!  Don't think I'd be able to cope.

It’s not a risk .....

no one is finishing above Man City 

our max max aim is top 4 

probably best if we try for 40 points to begin with ..........

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

It’s not a risk .....

no one is finishing above Man City 

our max max aim is top 4 

probably best if we try for 40 points to begin with ..........

Absolutely no way we are winning it again, top 6 should be the goal, top 4 would be amazing.

As many have previously mentioned, a lot hinges on shipping out the likes of Silva, Slimani (highest earners of those not actively in match day squads) and then James, King however I can see both of these players on loan somewhere next year.

Kelechi deserves one more chance and we are thin on numbers for out and out strikers.

I'm thrilled with this transfer window thus far, the X Factor that could prove a domino effect is Maguire and whether Yanited cough up the cash.

If that happens, I'd expect another winger in (and wouldn't be surprised if we went hard and splashed £35-50mil), however we've got a gem of a player in Barnes and many games last season he did not look out of his depth. Goals will come with confidence and experience for the young lad and we've got fairly decent backups in Gray (who I still believe can flourish) and the ever consistent Albrighton.

Edited by glebe_sydneyfox