Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Foxexile16

Matty James

4 hours ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Surprised at the bitterness towards Matty from many on here. I'm sure his career hasn't panned out like he wanted to with all the injuries. He had the potential to play for England, he was that good. I'm pleased LCFC have sorted him out financially, it can't have cost the club that much in the grand scheme of things.

I wouldn’t say it’s bitterness per se; I think a lot of people are just frustrated at the number of perceived “hangers on” in the squad that will barely get near even a League Cup matchday XI or XVIII. I agree with everything else you’ve said though, I’m glad we’re supporting him. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

I wouldn’t say it’s bitterness per se; I think a lot of people are just frustrated at the number of perceived “hangers on” in the squad that will barely get near even a League Cup matchday XI or XVIII. I agree with everything else you’ve said though, I’m glad we’re supporting him. 

For sure. I just think at this point I don't see a way back into our plans for him.

As mentioned, the same applies to King, but he seems fairly content to basically be a bit-part cup player at this point, which is questionable ambition-wise but fine for me as long as he keeps being the positive influence on other players behind the scenes he's said to be and eventually ends up elsewhere in the club staff. I'm not so sure James has the same (lack of) career ambition and so I'd hope he sees the writing's on the wall and chooses to get his career back on track elsewhere - I would expect he'd leave with the best wishes of most of the fanbase if he did go.

Edited by OntarioFox

I don’t see it myself.

I have no wish to malign Matty James. He was a decent player during our development and played a part in getting us to where we are now. Similar to Andy King he should be remembered fondly and with gratitude - and then moved on. We need better now. 

I just don't see the unrealised potential that others do. He always looked neat and tidy, but didn’t have a single attribute that stood out as great (passing, tackling, goal scoring, late runs into the box, ability on the ball - none). Just a decent-ish player that would never have attracted interest from one of the big boys. 

I honestly think he’s one of those players who is remembered more fondly because of his a really unfortunate absences rather than ability. A player whose stock rises in absence. Conversely I think that Drinkwater’s contributions are forgotten because of the way he left for Chelsea and a element of schadenfreude about what’s happened since.

• Like 1

He's a bit of a Nugent, too good for the Championship but not good enough for the prem. Add in the injuries and even as a squad player we've outgrown him. 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/05/18/footballs-inbetweeners-players-good-championship-cant-cut-premier/david-nugent/

Edited by Lambert09

5 hours ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Surprised at the bitterness towards Matty from many on here. I'm sure his career hasn't panned out like he wanted to with all the injuries. He had the potential to play for England, he was that good. I'm pleased LCFC have sorted him out financially, it can't have cost the club that much in the grand scheme of things.

He is on 32k a week and has been with the club since 1st July 2012, coupled with the 1.25million transfer fee he's cost us in the region of £12,898,000.

I'd quite like just shy of £13m.

4 hours ago, Poznan34 said:

A few short memories here. Remember the great escape 14/15 - it was James and Cambiasso in centre mid. Drinkwater was on the bench. 

He was 24 that season, it's not a massive stretch to think he could have played for England like Drinkwater did, had injuries not destroyed his career. 

Does this mean he is 29 this season? He has missed the best years of his career, not sure why we have kept him.

4 hours ago, Poznan34 said:

A few short memories here. Remember the great escape 14/15 - it was James and Cambiasso in centre mid. Drinkwater was on the bench. 

He was 24 that season, it's not a massive stretch to think he could have played for England like Drinkwater did, had injuries not destroyed his career. 

Rose coloured spectacles because of the emotion of what we achieved through the great escape in 2014/15. 

It’s true that James was often first choice with Cambiasso during that season but, let’s face it, we were poor for most of it. As for the run-in itself James obviously played a part in that run of 7 wins, 1 draw and 1 defeat, but wasn’t the most instrumental player in it. From memory I’m  betting he only started half those games and probably featured as a sub or was subbed in most of them.

It’s massively unfortunate for him that he then lost his place to Drinkwater for the following season. Would we still have won the title if he’d played instead of DD? We’ll never know - but I seriously doubt it. 

5 hours ago, Poznan34 said:

Getting a Cap for England shouldn't really be seen as a milestone in the last 20 odd years

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/englands-worst-ever-xi-luckiest-13227121

9 minutes ago, SystonFox said:

Has matty James really ever been “over weight” or is it just a myth?

I feel like he just has a thicker build than the avg midfielder. There's no way of knowing if that is what contributed to his knee injuries. With the physio's and sports science staff that we have, I find it hard to believe they would have been careless about his weight during his recovery. The ugly truth is, some people are predisposed to picking up certain kinds of injuries. 

6 minutes ago, SystonFox said:

Has matty James really ever been “over weight” or is it just a myth?

He certainly looked over weight when he came back from his injury. He basically won the lottery when we offered him an extended contract. I fear given the time spent injured, he'll never play pro football again. 

7 hours ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

I'm more bitter toward the likes of Nacho tbh, drawing a huge wage from the club and giving nothing back.   At least MJ has been injured and has an excuse.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rusko187 said:

He is on 32k a week and has been with the club since 1st July 2012, coupled with the 1.25million transfer fee he's cost us in the region of £12,898,000.

I'd quite like just shy of £13m.

And a total of 113 appearances. Not sure of the minutes but thats got to work out to   be a stupidly high pounds per hour . 

Leicester are a good company with a strong financial structure so are able to look after an injured or ill employee better perhaps than other clubs and other businesses. Some companies can afford to absorb this cost, others unfortunately can’t. It’s a fact of life and I’m happy that Leicester as a club are able to look after players faced with long term career threatening injuries. 

2 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Not sure why people are bothered about his wages, won't most of the bill be picked up by insurers while he's injured? 

I knew players are insured, but don’t know a lot about the policies, but I thought they only paid out if the career ends due to injury and wages are paid by the club as he’s under contract, I don’t know.

It’s was like beckham and other sports stars insure their legs and arms for £££££££, in the event of permanent loss of income 

4 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Needs to be moved on if possible. Waste of time and money.

I think we probably need to hire a mini-van to move out those that need moving on.

2 hours ago, sm1 said:

He certainly looked over weight when he came back from his injury. He basically won the lottery when we offered him an extended contract. I fear given the time spent injured, he'll never play pro football again. 

He’s far from fat, having met the bloke at the races he’s just got a large frame.