Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mark

The Politics Thread 2019

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

What a Cheerleader Boris is.

His 3 speeches so far (acceptance, outside no 10 & commons today) all have been incredibly upbeat, positive & can do.

I wonder how long he'll maintain this approach and I wonder what he'll say the moment things go south or wrong for him.

Maybe he's right and maybe this is exactly what the country needs right now, but I hope it's not all just 'sizzle' and no 'substance'.

You could sing Kumbaya whilst drowning, but you're still going to drown. :ph34r:

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ozleicester said:

In my experience it hasnt been below $1 = 60p since the 90s

I could be wrong, but i cant remember the "double ya money" since Bob Hawke was in power

Edit, clearly i was wrong...

https://www.poundsterlinglive.com/bank-of-england-spot/historical-spot-exchange-rates/gbp/GBP-to-AUD

Sorry, I don’t quite follow

4 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

I can't change the BREXIT vote, though on a personal note it hasn't helped.  UK housing market is very slow - we have been trying to sell since the start of the year and not had an offer yet despite a price drop.  There are few buyers.  On the other hand Perth house prices are also lower and still dropping I believe.  Had I moved 4 years ago instead of buying my house I would have had more $ but now have lost probably 20% of my house value in Perth. 

Well I hope things work out for you. House prices here (in Perth)  haven’t risen for 10 years after doubling in the the previous 4. In the last year or 2 there’s been a definite fall, though not as far as I can tell a crash (yet). This is mainly due to the end of the mining boom, I believe. Over east they’ve had huge price increases, but likely that will eventually lead to a crash I’d expect.

37 minutes ago, Charl91 said:

This is the thing that gets me.

I didn't want, or vote for Brexit, but pre-referendum I could at least see some of the arguments, even if I couldn't agree with them. But most of the "benefits" have proven to be undeniably false, which has strengthened my remain views 10 fold.

But at some point along the way, the reasons for Brexit have been lost, and now for some Brexit in itself is now the end-goal - not for any tangible benefits, but simply because Brexit needs to happen. It's like a cult. 

I still think Brexit is a means to an end, which is to move the UK away from Europe and closer to American interests and continue the transfer of economic control to the private sector. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

“Yes they’re brown but they’re the wrong kind of brown”

They are definitely the wrong kind of brown and I am ashamed of them. That Priti Patel is horrible and has no Hindu values at all. She is just a horrible self centered woman and does not represent Indians.

17 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

I saw a good analogy the other day that Brexit is like a Ponzi scheme. Started off with promises of a quick, painless, problem-free departure with whatever benefits and when it proves to obviously not be quite the case, you double down, don't accept and spend your time convincing people it's worth it. It's well grounded as a psychological phenomenon. I think some Brexiteers have become their own worse enemy by choosing the absolutist route rather than any kind of sensible route.

I keep grappling with the Leave/Remain question, I've no idea what I want. I can't countenance no-deal, struggle to countenance a substantial Canada+ FTA so it feels difficult to want to Leave given the way Brexit is going. However, as an EU-sceptic opposed to supranationalism and knowing remain is a vote for 'more Europe' rather than things being as they have been I don't think I could ever vote or genuinely want us to Remain. I want us to be a bit of a catalyst for Macron's two-speed Europe but a significant portion of Leavers are too adamant on being more distant and a significant number of Remainers won't accept us not being full-up members.

I'm not very well versed on the issue and it could be terrible, I really don't know, but secession to the EEA seems like somewhat of a happy medium to me.

1 hour ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

Having the Tory party members have the final say on the PM is/was patently ridiculous and smacks of something out of the 19th century. I’d much rather that by law the only options to replace a PM are for party MPs to elect a new leader, or a GE. It may well have been the same result in this instance, but at least MPs are elected representatives of the nation as a whole.

1 hour ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

There's actually four parts to this broadcast. They get gradually worse (or better) depending on your viewpoint. 

This is generally a cracking programme anyway. Always try and watch it when I'm in the states. Nothing like it over hear at all with our misguided obsession with media 'balance'. 

12 hours ago, Innovindil said:

Tbf I'd go ballistic if we even had a second referendum at this point, I was all for it before, genuinely so, but after the new lib dems leader has come out and said she'd ignore it even if it had brexit winning a second time, there's no point to it. It's been suspected all along, but this "people's vote" isn't about getting confirmation, it's about having a shot at reversing it and nothing more. 

Add Caroline Lucas to that as well.

The People's Vote campaign was never about giving us a "final say", it was always about stopping Brexit by whatever means necessary. 

But it's too late now.  Brexit will happen on the 31st regardless.  With Corbyn not tabling a motion a No Confidence vote yesterday, there is now no chance of a General Election being held prior to Halloween.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Stadt said:

I voted leave but would much rather remain now because it became obvious to me we weren’t going to be better off as a nation outside of the EU. I’m still not very keen on it as institution but we’re throwing the baby out with the bath water now. In my opinion, the narrative has gone from, “We’ll be better off out, we can negotiate our own trade deals and we can control immigration!” to “We’ve been through worse before” obviously a mostly flippant comment but for some at least there’s a Brexit at all costs approach which is inherently dangerous.

Well if that REALLY turns out to be the case, you could always campaign for us to rejoin after Brexit?  

Could even campaign for us to adopt the Euro, join the Schengen Area, have our military become part of an EU defence force and/or allow us to submit to ever closer economic and political union within a Federal Europe or USE? 

Surely if Brexit is such a horror show such a campaign and referendum would be a cake-walk?

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, BlueSi13 said:

Add Caroline Lucas to that as well.

The People's Vote campaign was never about giving us a "final say", it was always about stopping Brexit by whatever means necessary. 

But it's too late now.  Brexit will happen on the 31st regardless.  With Corbyn not tabling a motion a No Confidence vote yesterday, there is now no chance of a General Election being held prior to Halloween.  

Massive mistake getting Campbell to parrot people’s vote on every tv and radio show(for what seemed like months)in the first place.He just preached to the converted and in the process entrenched a lot of leavers even further.Which added fuel to the Brexit party.He actually thought that if he said it often enough people would just accept it.Unfortunately for him enough people know he’s just full of s—t.

The post referendum remain argument has been pretty woeful anyway.Telling people who have next to nothing,that they are going to be lose their next to nothing is just going to go in one ear and out the other.Its laughable.

It’s quite difficult to explain to the hundreds of thousands of construction workers.Who have seen their wages increase, due in large part to the slow down in EU intake,that Brexit is a bad thing.Good luck with that one

Also you do not have to be right wing to want to leave the EU.Another massive misconception that is made.Especially on this forum.