Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mark

The Politics Thread 2019

On 27/07/2019 at 00:17, lifted*fox said:

DEMOCRACY!

What a cretin!.. 

Deluded brexiteers keep spouting on about respect the democratic vote of 2016, we voted to leave so leave means leave.. 

Well how about respecting my democratic vote to remain in 1975?.. I haven't changed my mind. 67% voted to be part of the EU..

The argument maybe that things have changed since 1975, perhaps yes.. But that same argument could be said about things changing dramatically in the last 3 years too. 

Brexit was a protest vote nothing more nothing less, if you voted leave please explain what you were voting for in 2016?.. Be honest with yourselves, were you told the truth? 

Johnson and Farage lied, the campaign was fraudulent and illegal and still leave only scraped though by a tiny margin. 

Now the people know the true horrors of what Brexit will do to our economy and our children and Grandchildren's futures let's have a deciding vote.. It's 1-1 (1975 and 2016).. 

I'm pretty convinced Remain would win by a landslide. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, weller54 said:

What a cretin!.. 

Deluded brexiteers keep spouting on about respect the democratic vote of 2016, we voted to leave so leave means leave.. 

Well how about respecting my democratic vote to remain in 1975?.. I haven't changed my mind. 67% voted to be part of the EU..

The argument maybe that things have changed since 1975, perhaps yes.. But that same argument could be said about things changing dramatically in the last 3 years too. 

Brexit was a protest vote nothing more nothing less, if you voted leave please explain what you were voting for in 2016?.. Be honest with yourselves, were you told the truth? 

Johnson and Farage lied, the campaign was fraudulent and illegal and still leave only scraped though by a tiny margin. 

Now the people know the true horrors of what Brexit will do to our economy and our children and Grandchildren's futures let's have a deciding vote.. It's 1-1 (1975 and 2016).. 

The difference is that the first referendum was implemented 

2 hours ago, weller54 said:

What a cretin!.. 

Ted Heath lied during that referendum to stay in.

The fundamental problem with referendums is that politicians lie so the public, whichever side they vote for are essentially voting blind.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Heathrow fox said:

The difference is that the first referendum was implemented 

And that referendum was sold to us on lies and misinformation as well.

Edit: Oops, Davie beat me to it :thumbup:

Edited by Parafox
  • Like 1

Goodness how much money and time has been taken/spent over these 3 years and still we aren't certain of leaving or staying - and with or without a deal.

I suppose it is something that they appear to be preparing for the latter but as we know things change very quickly!

And then there will be the aftermath and fall out to deal with once its over..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, weller54 said:

This isn't technically correct. The 1975 referendum was about membership of the EEC, the Common Market. It was about economic union, unlike the EU, which is a political union as well as an economic one.

Edited by SouthStandUpperTier
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Parafox said:

And that referendum was sold to us on lies and misinformation as well.

Edit: Oops, Davie beat me to it :thumbup:

OK.. 

So let's have a decider. 

Surely we all know so much more information now and even if we leave with Buffoon Boris's no deal scenario on October 31st it doesn't end there... That's the start of years and years of arguing about trading terms, economic uncertainty etc etc.. It will be endless and so disruptive for our country. 

My generation isn't going to feel the fallout of the chaos, yet its my generation (50-65 year olds) who voted in their hoards to leave. The pathetic views .. 'Yeah we're Great Britain, we don't need the EU.. Brittania rules the waves you know!!'.. We were OK before joining, and we'll be OK without them!!... 

Well, how about thinking about the younger generation?.. 

Most of my generation have done pretty well since being part of the EU.. Own our own homes, got decent pensions.. Most I know have expensive cars and go on cruises, have a holiday home etc yet they are prepared to play Russian Roulette with their kids and grandkids future on some whim that we'll be better off on our own. 

Selfish... Because they have nothing to lose. 

But their kids and grandkids have everything to lose! 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

Goodness how much money and time has been taken/spent over these 3 years and still we aren't certain of leaving or staying - and with or without a deal.

I suppose it is something that they appear to be preparing for the latter but as we know things change very quickly!

And then there will be the aftermath and fall out to deal with once its over..

Absolutely.. 

All this crap about saving 39b by leaving!!.. 

That figure will be dwarfed by the amount of damage caused by leaving without a deal.. Hundreds of Billions!... That means LESS money for the NHS not the extra 350m a week we were promised by Johnson and Farage!... 

Jesus, we now have one of those cretins as our PM! and the other jumping off the Ukip bandwagon and onto the so called Brexit Party for his own financial gain.. Absolutely nothing to do with our Country's interests... 

We are living in extremely dangerous times. 

• Like 2

I think there are two possibilities. First, that Boris sees Brexit as a means to an end and thinks if / when it is delayed or thwarted he can sell himself as the defender of British citizens against the bullying EU and traitorous remainer MPs. 

The second possibility, slightly scarier, is that the government now actively wants a no deal Brexit, which means they are willing to accept severe economic pain and the breakup of the UK. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bovril said:

I think there are two possibilities. First, that Boris sees Brexit as a means to an end and thinks if / when it is delayed or thwarted he can sell himself as the defender of British citizens against the bullying EU and traitorous remainer MPs. 

The second possibility, slightly scarier, is that the government now actively wants a no deal Brexit, which means they are willing to accept severe economic pain and the breakup of the UK. 

Or three, the government doesn't want no deal, but accepts it has to happen if the EU remains unwilling to reopen negotiations to remove the Irish backstop which is the expressed will of the House of Commons (Brady Amendment).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49141375

16 minutes ago, bovril said:

The Conservative Party have been so scared of Farage for the past 4/5 years they will be desperate to keep their voters away from him. They will now be pursuing No Deal as a first choice as they will do absolutely anything to keep in power and keep voters away from the Brexit party as they see that as the true threat and not a Corbyn led opposition.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, bovril said:

Bit of a mess this Brexit thing innit. 

I'm an Aussie and the whole thing seems crazy. On one hand it would be strange to be subject to laws not drafted by your own parliament, and I can understand unease about the free migration thing, but the economic ramifications of leaving the EU without a deal would be huge? ill be in London on deadline, I'm curious about how the public will grapple with it.

2 hours ago, davieG said:

Ted Heath lied during that referendum to stay in.

The fundamental problem with referendums is that politicians lie so the public, whichever side they vote for are essentially voting blind.

Actualy the fundamental problem with referendums is that the public get a vote.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Well I for one think Boris has started off ok:D

If you mean he hasn't made a complete twat of himself yet, then you may be right.

That's setting the bar pretty low, though.

Just now, Buce said:

If you mean he hasn't made a complete twat of himself yet, then you may be right.

That's setting the bar pretty low, though.

I thought he made a right twat of himself with all that DUDE stuff in his acceptance speech.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 27/07/2019 at 00:17, lifted*fox said:

DEMOCRACY!

Clever stuff isn’t it.  I bet the remain campaign team wish they had thought of this first.

Seriously though, this is the present of campaigning and in fact all forms of advertising; to somehow make out this is lying or cheating is bullshit.

Edited by Jon the Hat
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Clever stuff isn’t it.  I bet the remain campaign team wish they had thought of this first.

Seriously though, this is the present of campaigning and in fact all forms of advertising; to somehow make out this is lying or cheating is bullshit.

People shouting bloody murder at people using machine learning and high level data science is genuinely ridiculous.