Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mark

The Politics Thread 2019

3 minutes ago, bovril said:

He should have just gone for it and appointed Mark Francois Foreign Secretary. 

There are rumours Rees-Smug will be Minister for the 18th century. 

3 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

feels very much like jobs for the boys, patel, raab & javid are mental front benchers to have. Only logic I can get out of this is their stances on brexit, 

And they're all completely amoral, incompetent and only in it for the money. And if they get what they want they'll have more money than we can imagine. This will come at the expense of public services.

You can't believe a word he says.  How can he possibly go on about domestic policy in a speech when he has a majority of 2, soon to be 1?  He isn't in a position to deliver on any of what he jabbered on about.  He's all talk, no substance.  

And the people he's brought in - frightening.  Rees-Mogg just tops it off.  

Bunch of jokers the lot of 'em.  

35 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

In its heyday this used to have some decent political discussion and analysis, if sometimes heated and disagreeable, now it's just a vacuous hole of vapidity. Not much of a surprise when most people that might provide some counter balance to many topics were chased away for not dabbling with the groupthink. Sad.

Don't think people have been chased away.  I think it's more a case of people growing tired of the same old arguments and the subsequent unwillingness to engage and respond to screeching 6th form protest politics.

Anyways 31st of October it is.  Not a chance in hell Johnson can go to Brussels and ask for/accept any extension after his speech today.  If the EU fail to re-open and re-negotiate Theresa May's deal it's WTO on the 31st.

The ball's now in their court.

3 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

We decided since the vote, though not connected to it.  I voted leave, and I’m positive that we would have left by now with a leave PM, and that the uncertainty  is much worse than leave.

Yes, but the exchange rate now is much lower than it would have been have been had the Brexit vote gone the other way. You would have got many more AUD for your pounds, I suspect as much as 40 or 50 cents per pound, who knows, maybe more. It can make an absolutely huge difference when emigrating.

When we decided to move here the pound stood at around $2.80, but while waiting for completion on the sale of our house it dropped to around $2.50, and I was worried that we’d have to cancel the move it it went much further. Fortunately it bounced back up just in time and we ended up on about $2.85. Happy days!

Likewise, I suspect that UK house prices are lower than they would otherwise have been, if only due to EU citizens leaving, but also I’d imagine due to falling confidence in the population at large.

If you don’t resent these knock-on effects then I truly admire your devotion to your principles.

Edited by WigstonWanderer

1 minute ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Yes, but the exchange rate now is much lower than it would have been have been had the Brexit vote gone the other way. You would have got many more AUD for your pounds, I suspect as much as 40 or 50 cents per pound. It can make an absolutely huge difference.

When we decided to move here the pound stood at around $2.80, but while waiting for completion on the sale of our house it dropped to around $2.50, and I was worried that we’d have to cancel the move it it went much further. Fortunately it bounced back up just in time and we ended up on about $2.85. Happy days!

Likewise, I suspect that UK house prices are lower than they would otherwise have been, if only due to EU citizens leaving, but also I’d imagine due to falling confidence in the population at large.

If you don’t resent these knock-on effects then I truly admire your devotion to your principles.

EU citizens aren't leaving.  Net EU migration stood at 74,000 in 2018.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, BlueSi13 said:

EU citizens aren't leaving.  Net EU migration stood at 74,000 in 2018.

I believe the trend is downwards though, but it does appear that non EU immigration is up, so perhaps migration isn’t so much of a factor at present.

Nevertheless, the uncertainty surrounding Brexit is sure to affect house prices, particularly with Boris now threatening no deal. I still have a UK property that I’d like to sell, so unfortunately still have a horse in this race.

1 hour ago, Kopfkino said:

In its heyday this used to have some decent political discussion and analysis, if sometimes heated and disagreeable, now it's just a vacuous hole of vapidity. Not much of a surprise when most people that might provide some counter balance to many topics were chased away for not dabbling with the groupthink. Sad.

Such is the times we live in, sadly. Everything is getting pushed to 11 and that means discussion here is a reflection of that - that being said, however, compared to other places this is a proverbial knitting group, as Finn once said.

Speaking personally I've only got one issue on which I'll brook precious little disagreement with the facts as they stand...but such seems to be becoming the norm much more elsewhere. Polarisation at its dark finest.

2 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

Boris is the first Prime Minister who was born out of the UK. Not just that but he was a citizen of another country for 50 ****ing years. 

Mental. 

Does that mean he gets the flick when Brexit happens? :)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Yes, but the exchange rate now is much lower than it would have been have been had the Brexit vote gone the other way. You would have got many more AUD for your pounds, I suspect as much as 40 or 50 cents per pound, who knows, maybe more. It can make an absolutely huge difference when emigrating.

It’s only money ;)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, WigstonWanderer said:

10 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

It’s only money ;)

In my experience it hasnt been below $1 = 60p since the 90s

I could be wrong, but i cant remember the "double ya money" since Bob Hawke was in power

Edit, clearly i was wrong...

https://www.poundsterlinglive.com/bank-of-england-spot/historical-spot-exchange-rates/gbp/GBP-to-AUD

Edited by ozleicester

8 hours ago, Kopfkino said:

It's a good reflection of society as a whole really. There's no perspective, there's no compromise. Those with the opposite political opinions to you are evil and that's that, no conversation, no rationality. 

Saying that, this cabinet does absolutely terrify me. Patel and Williamson especially. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Lionator said:

Saying that, this cabinet does absolutely terrify me. Patel and Williamson especially. 

And me. It’s not even that they represent traditional conservative values it’s honestly that they are sooo far to the right that muggles beware, the death eaters are in charge and though Boris appears to be in charge right now Voldemort who has split his soul into a variety of Horcruxes is waiting in the wings, posing as Leader of the Commons.

I was wondering at what point do normal, sane people put a stop to brexit through whatever means necessary? 

Hedge fund manager describes moment he won £220 million on Brexit vote: ‘The morning has gold in its mouth’
www.independent.co.uk

An outspoken hedge fund manager has described the moment he cashed in millions on Britain’s vote to exit the European Union and said he felt “fresh as a daisy”.

Speaking to the BBC on the morning that Britain’s decision to exit the bloc became clear – and as David Cameron prepared to resign as Prime Minister – Crispin Odey, a somewhat jubilant hedge fund manager, had just made £220m by betting the markets would collapse in the event of a Leave vote.

“There’s that Italian expression,” he told the broadcaster. ‘Al mattino ha l'oro in bocca’ – the morning has gold in its mouth – and never has one felt so much that idea as this morning really.” 

We’ll tell you what’s true. You can form your own view.

From 15p €0.18 $0.18 USD 0.27 a day, more exclusives, analysis and extras.

Laughing to the camera, he added: “I still think tomorrow they are going to take it all away from me. I’ve lived for too long in the Euro world. You might have been up all night but, you know, I’m feeling fresh as a daisy.” 

Mr Odey, who was briefly married to Rupert Murdoch’s daughter Prudence, was a Leave supporter who, before the EU referendum, saw his personal fortune plummet by £200m – turning him from billionaire to multimillionaire. According to the Sunday Times rich list, published in April this year, Mr Odey suffered a sharp decline in wealth to £900m after profits tumbled at his hedge fund, Odey Asset Manager. 

The financier’s comments came in a BBC documentary entitled Brexit: A Very British Coup?, and appeared alongside Alan Duncan, a Government minister, doing an impression of the former London mayor – and now Foreign Secretary – Boris Johnson appearing flustered on the morning after the referendum. Also featured is the then Ukip leader, Nigel Farage, flaunting his Union Jack socks and expressing his desire for a pint to be named after him. 

“All I need is the right beer named after me. That’s all we need. A proper British pint. A pint of Farage please.”

‘Brexit: A Very British Coup?’ is broadcast on BBC 2 at 9pm on Thursday night