Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Things or people in sport you just love to watch

I was having this conversation at work today, and being the only Pom didn’t completely go down well, but it did lead to a great conversation about things we love to see in sport.

My unpopular conversation starter was: are there many things in cricket better to watch than a fired up and confident Stuart Broad steaming in for one of his magic spells?

Obviously many Australians disagreed, he’s about as popular here as Steve Smith is over there. 

But what are the other things you love to see in sport past or present - Rodger Federer on centre court at Wimbledon? A particular footballer in full flight? Many years ago I used to love watching Micheal Laudrup  - never gets mentioned in greatest footballers ever conversations except by me, he’s the player who made me see the real beauty in the sport.

Any other suggestions, particularly for players you’ve seen live and in action.

• Like 1

John McEnroe back in his day, he was a ticking time bomb just waiting for to explode and also a fantastic player.

Messi, he’s unbelievable.

Michael Johnson, Usain Bolt, Mo Farah,  actually any Olympic or World track event, I used to love the Coe, Ovett and Cram era.

MOTD (when we’ve won)

Edited by Mark 'expert' Lawrenson
  • Like 1

Used to love watching KP in full flow. For me is the best I've ever seen in an England shirt.

Ronaldo whenever he's involved in a Champions League knockout tie is always pretty special as well. Absolute force of nature.

In the first half of our title winning season I also can't remember ever enjoying watching a player more than Riyad. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, LinekersApples said:

I am a huge fan of exceptional performers and especially aesthetic activities.  Such people can be very exciting. 

Mia Khalifa in season 2014/15 was at her absolute best. Many faultless performances, although i must admit that there were several occasions where I left early.

Weirdo.

Though I think the man an arrogant conceited SOB, Federer in full flow on Centre Court is still a sight for sore eyes, and it's pretty amazing that he's managed to maintain such form for so long.

Jimmy Anderson in classic English swing conditions is great too, can make every single batsman in the world - even those of the calibre of Kohli and Smith - look ordinary, and he has. (Edit: actually, add Stuart Broad to that when he has one of those days where he is utterly unplayable and gets 5 or more for next to nothing.)

And a rather niche one - in terms of technical excellence, Magnus Carlsen playing chess, despite the fact that computers are by a distance the best players these days. I never thought I'd see a more complete player than Kasparov, but I was wrong.

Edited by leicsmac

Kevin Pieterson was spectacular, and Flintoff in the Ashes 2005 was the reason I got into Cricket, that one over at Ponting was legendary stuff.

Rafa Nadal at the French is as close to unbeatable as they come.

Leo Messi in full flow is mind blowing.

Also used to love watching Jason Robinson in both rugby formats.

Good thread btw :appl:

Football:
Messi

Ronaldinho
Ronaldo (Brazilian)

Thierry Henry

Cricket:
Sachin Tendulkar

Virat Kohli (test matches)

Any decent player in the shorter format of the game - Roy, Bairstow, Kohli, Bumrah, Sharma, Tahir, Gayle, De Villiers - the list is huge really.

Tennis:
Rafa Nadal

Roger Federer

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga (there was a time about 4-5 years ago where he was just entertaining to watch on the courts).

8 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Football:
Messi

Ronaldinho
Ronaldo (Brazilian)

Thierry Henry

Cricket:
Sachin Tendulkar

Virat Kohli (test matches)

Any decent player in the shorter format of the game - Roy, Bairstow, Kohli, Bumrah, Sharma, Tahir, Gayle, De Villiers - the list is huge really.

Tennis:
Rafa Nadal

Roger Federer

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga (there was a time about 4-5 years ago where he was just entertaining to watch on the courts).

Agree with Tsonga, such a shame he never won a grand slam. A proper character.

I agree with the original post. It’s theatre when a page bowler gets going. Whether that’s Broad, Anderson, Lee, Ambrose, Walsh, Donald for example. Cricket can be gentle but the moment a pace bowler sendings the stumps flying its a violent shot. 

On the topic of football, fat Ronaldo is the one player who’d get me 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

On 03/08/2019 at 06:41, Libertine said:

Henry

Suarez

Just two players where it always looked like something was going to happen whenever they got the ball.

Suarez is the player I'm disappointed I never got to see live. The years we were in the Championship when he was in the PL at Liverpool. Unbelievable footballer.

Edited by Fox92