Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

Chilwell

We've just sold our 26 year old English centre back with 4 years left on his contract, for a world record fee of £80m. It's highly unlikely IMO that we're going to let a home grown English left back with FIVE years left on his contract leave for anything less.

We've proven that we'll play serious hardball with these cvnts. 

• Like 3

Wouldn't sell at any cost. The Maguire money should be plenty to cover everything we need for a while and we couldn't get a left back as good as Chilwell is and will be. You can't buy heart and soul for a club, we've hit the jackpot with Barnes, Chilwell and Hamza coming into the team being Leicester fans. They should be at the core of our squad for the next 10 years. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Billy Big Balls said:

Wouldn't sell at any cost. The Maguire money should be plenty to cover everything we need for a while and we couldn't get a left back as good as Chilwell is and will be. You can't buy heart and soul for a club, we've hit the jackpot with Barnes, Chilwell and Hamza coming into the team being Leicester fans. They should be at the core of our squad for the next 10 years. 

Chilwell isn’t a Leicester fan and isn’t even from Leicester.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Chilwell isn’t a Leicester fan and isn’t even from Leicester.

First of all I never said he was from Leicester. Secondly I have made the assumption that he's a Leicester fan which is fair enough but I've never seen anything about him supporting anyone else. Either way, the point still stands as he's surely got some sentiment towards the club and city he's lived in since he was 12 years old. Out of interest, what club does he support? I can't find it anywhere. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

We've just sold our 26 year old English centre back with 4 years left on his contract, for a world record fee of £80m. It's highly unlikely IMO that we're going to let a home grown English left back with FIVE years left on his contract leave for anything less.

We've proven that we'll play serious hardball with these cvnts. 

Plus in his position,  he's a much better player than Maguire. Good left backs are harder to find. Arguably Maguire is only the media darling he is in his position for England as there isn't a dearth of good English centre halves. For example, in their day he wouldn't get a sniff against the likes of Ferndinand and Terry. Arguably last season he was second fiddle to an ageing Irishman named Evans.

Chilwell though, with the exception of Ashley Cole in recent times is more advanced in his position and has more room for improvement. 

30 minutes ago, PaulW said:

By the time their ban ends, moving to them would mean moving to a club beneath us in the league!

It won't though will it. They'll still finish above us this season. 

First of all I never said he was from Leicester. Secondly I have made the assumption that he's a Leicester fan which is fair enough but I've never seen anything about him supporting anyone else. Either way, the point still stands as he's surely got some sentiment towards the club and city he's lived in since he was 12 years old. Out of interest, what club does he support? I can't find it anywhere. 

I don't know who he supports, but I think he's from Milton Keynes.

• Like 1

Chelsea - Since Frank said he would double his wedge.

• Haha 1

Fact is we can't stop our stars going to bigger clubs, we've had that demonstrated to us time and time again. You can't build anything at a club like Leicester because you will just get financially picked apart following any kind of success. All we can do is bleed them for money and try to carry on.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, z-layrex said:

Fact is we can't stop our stars going to bigger clubs, we've had that demonstrated to us time and time again. You can't build anything at a club like Leicester because you will just get financially picked apart following any kind of success. All we can do is bleed them for money and try to carry on.

Pretty much this. It's same for all clubs at our "level". Similarly, the big English clubs can't stop their best players from going to Real Madrid and Barcelona. We're all at different levels.

41 minutes ago, z-layrex said:

20 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Pretty much this. It's same for all clubs at our "level". Similarly, the big English clubs can't stop their best players from going to Real Madrid and Barcelona. We're all at different levels.

I think this is a pretty pessimistic view. I can understand why you'd think this, but I don't think it's as bad as you think.

We finished 9th last season, and yet we only lost one first-team player. The exact same thing happened last season, as well. We also were able to significantly strengthen a few positions both last season and this. There weren't even any serious bids for any other of our first team this summer, as far as I'm aware.

We're not getting picked apart like Soton were. We're showing ambition and setting an example of a smaller club can compete at the top.

One thing I don't like about football is how unfair it is. It's all set up to keep the rich clubs rich. However, things do change. Very slowly, maybe, but they do. They might have used an oil baron's cash to get there, but Chelsea and Man City weren't always title contenders. The 2nd tier is like a Who's Who of former giants.

I think this will be an interesting season. I think the line between the "big 6" and the rest could be starting to blur.