Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

Chilwell

There is some interesting stuff in here but I think we some times get sidetracked. It doesnt matter whether a player is born here, loves the club or loves his teams mates, every player will have a shelf life at clubs our size and we will always sell our best players, even if we won the league again this season. The truth is, every club sells there best players with probably the exception of Barcelona and Real Madrid. Everyone else is in the same boat as us but if they are at one of the biggest clubs in England there is a bit more chance of keeping them. Our club IMO has done amazingly well of limiting selling one real marquee player a season but trying at add on or two into the bargain.

As for Chilwell specifically, he has improved a lot over the last 12-18 months and is Englands first choice left-back and is still 22. He too will go. As will Maddison, as will Choudhury, as will Barnes etc. If they continue to improve and get into the England squad and become top class/world class in their positions like a Kante or a Maguire than they will go. Its a reality that some of our fans fail to grasp. 

My hope is we continue to sell just one a season and we continue to sign top players like Tielemans. I also hope we continue to play hard ball and fleece the buyers like we did Man Utd. For now, enjoy the players as we have them as they are not here for life!

• Like 1

The media are vile, now trying to get our players sold even after the transfer window has closed. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7345807/Frank-Lampard-eyes-70million-Ben-Chilwell-Chelsea-boss-draws-list-targets.html

Clubs like Chelski anr amongst the worst with Russian Blood money giving them the chance to buy the league 5 times, when they were only a slightly average team, they did win Div 1 in 1955, but most of their success came during the premiership (5 titles) since 2004. The same applies to Man City owned by a country, yes they are a good team, but struggle to fill the stadium, Man U were an OK team before the 50's, all these teams may not be the big teams forever! Look at Villa, Wolves, Sunderland, Sheff Wed, Blackburn, Newcastle, these were huge pre 60's. Arsenal have always been in the top flight, as well as Everton (9 Div 1 winners), Liverpool have always been amongst the trophies and Spurs only have two Div1 wins. We have bounced between the top two leagues forever, but every dog has his day, we could be up there one day but we need to evolve steadily.

3 hours ago, z-layrex said:

Fact is we can't stop our stars going to bigger clubs, we've had that demonstrated to us time and time again. You can't build anything at a club like Leicester because you will just get financially picked apart following any kind of success. All we can do is bleed them for money and try to carry on.

Thats-the-spirit.gif

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, z-layrex said:

Fact is we can't stop our stars going to bigger clubs, we've had that demonstrated to us time and time again. You can't build anything at a club like Leicester because you will just get financially picked apart following any kind of success. All we can do is bleed them for money and try to carry on.

Spurs have shown the way forward in this regard. They made themselves nightmares to deal with when they sold Berbatov, Modric, Bale and Walker. They've also massively improved the club on and off the pitch and showed the current players that their ambition is genuine.

Now they're in the enviable position that their top players aren't angling for moves away and bigger clubs would rather explore all other options than try to but one of their players.

It does look like we're trying to do something similar here which is good news. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Danizen said:

Spurs have shown the way forward in this regard. They made themselves nightmares to deal with when they sold Berbatov, Modric, Bale and Walker. They've also massively improved the club on and off the pitch and showed the current players that their ambition is genuine.

Now they're in the enviable position that their top players aren't angling for moves away and bigger clubs would rather explore all other options than try to but one of their players.

Rose, Ericsson, Dembele and Alderwerald, didn't they all want to leave?

17 hours ago, Danizen said:

It worked for Spurs for a while, because they convinced the players to sign new slightly improved contracts every year or two, then when anyone came calling they had years left.  Ericsson and Alderwotsit though have broken that model and hold all the card now.

2 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

A week before we play chelsea, hmm!

Yes, makes you wonder where the supposed source is. Nevertheless, transfers over until at least January and,  if Chilwell had any long term designs to go there he'll be trying to play out of his skin so it's a win win 😄

ItAs must be difficult for journalists needing to produce a story just after the transfer window has closed. It seems very unlikely there is any truth in this story: Lampard knows he can't sign anyone until next summer. As the story would have been written before the Chelsea game, Lampard will not know whether he will need afet back. Furthermore, many more performances like yesterday's would make this even more unlikely...

Incredible how so many fans were moaning about him yesterday. 

Yes, it wasn't his best game and I thought him and Perez were our 2 poorer performers, but he's been excellent the last 12 months and has lots of time to improve, especially his final ball. 

To only sell 1 player a season, bring in players that improve the starting 11, invest in our training facilities and stadia and people are still unhappy 😲

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hollyfox said:

Incredible how so many fans were moaning about him yesterday. 

Yes, it wasn't his best game and I thought him and Perez were our 2 poorer performers, but he's been excellent the last 12 months and has lots of time to improve, especially his final ball. 

To only sell 1 player a season, bring in players that improve the starting 11, invest in our training facilities and stadia and people are still unhappy 😲

Think thats a bit of a stretch.

6 minutes ago, m4DD0gg said:

Well, whilst he's not the finished article, he's highly regarded by many top managers and is England's full back. 

The prices being quoted, even if they are not official offers, suggest that he's pretty decent and has time to develop further. 

16 minutes ago, m4DD0gg said:

Not really,  I think Hollyfox is right. The lads 22 years of age not 26 at the top of his game and playing for Madrid. Therfore, for his age, when the last two managers have put him as a first choice on their team sheet,  the fact that he's been coveted by Guadiola and Klopp,  combined with the fact an England manager keeps picking him, tends to suggest that he just may be doing something right most of the time.  Oh yes, did I mention that he was only 22 as well? He wasn't at his best yesterday at age 22. What do you reasonably expect?  Do you have a better alternative in mind at a similar age we can afford? 

Recognise the talent per age we have. Recognise the value he is to us now and monitarily in the future. One poor game per dozen doesn't require such whining.

To be fair, I wouldn't really want to sell Chilwell at any price given his ability, which will only increase.

If Chilwell did become interested, and it began to cause unrest between him and the club meaning that offloading would be the easiest option for all involved, it's got to be 90M + given the going rates.

With all the above in mind, I don't see this as being a genuine reliable interest anyway. I think someone like Man Utd, Liverpool or Man City are much more likely to turn Chilwell's head should they ever come calling.

Thanks but no thanks Chelsea.

• Like 1

On 11/08/2019 at 17:51, Claridge said:

I know I’m in the minority, but for the life of me I don’t see a 70 million player,when I see Chilwell play

I'm with you on this. He's improved over the last year, but still his end product is no better then Schlupp. 

6 minutes ago, sm1 said:

I'm with you on this. He's improved over the last year, but still his end product is no better then Schlupp. 

Could you seriously compare the two? One isn't an automatic choice for Palace and the other, admired by a number of high profile managers and now an international player. So if you had your pick then, nail your colours to the mast,   would you ditch Chilwell and re-sign Schlupp in replacement? 

Just now, volpeazzurro said:

Could you seriously compare the two? One isn't an automatic choice for Palace and the other, admired by a number of high profile managers and now an international player. So if you had your pick then, nail your colours to the mast,   would you ditch Chilwell and re-sign Schlupp in replacement? 

I'm not comparing the players ability per se, just their end products. Chilwell gets into great positions but his crossing ability is no better then Schlupp. If you compare the end product of Roberts or Trent to Chilwell, there's no comparison. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sm1 said:

I'm not comparing the players ability per se, just their end products. Chilwell gets into great positions but his crossing ability is no better then Schlupp. If you compare the end product of Roberts or Trent to Chilwell, there's no comparison. 

Not being funny, do you mean Trent Alexander Arnold and Robertson from Liverpool? 

It's incredible that I thought, at one time, players like Richard Smith were the next best thing. 

We've just broken the world record for the sale of a Centre Half. 

Now we've got Choudhury, Barnes, Madders, Chilly and a few other young players with a lot of potential and if they continue to progress, the big clubs will come sniffing again. 

Atm I feel only Riccardo and Tielemans are pretty much the finished article but we'll still be demanding huge fees which will keep us in a great position. 

Hopefully we'll keep them for a good few seasons yet👍

• Like 2