Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Koke

Chelsea (A) pre match

29 minutes ago, mancunianfox said:

I wouldn't drop him based on his Wolves performance (I think that would be unfair) but because I don't think this is the right game to use him in. We will play probably play two DM's + Youri which means Maddison is likely end to end up out on the left again which isn't his best position. I would prefer Barnes' extra bit of pace in that role as Utd showed that this could be a big weakness in this Chelsea side.

Yeah fair, I know it has been discussed that Rodgers should play Madders in the middle. We can still play a midfield of Wilf/Youri/Madders and just restrain them a touch more than usual. I'd play Barnes over Albrighton, Perez will give us workrate and more of a threat than MA and Barnes pace would indeed trouble Chelsea.

45 minutes ago, TonyN11 said:

This team would be fine as long as we never, ever lose posession

After we score, I'd be worried about getting the ball back after they kick off  

Risk little gain little, we were good at getting the ball back against wolves, we just didn’t ever really do anything with it in the final third, bar Ricardo. I’d rather us go all out away at Chelsea and lose 5-2 than 1-0 and not have a shot on target

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mancunianfox said:

It would take a very brave manager to pick that team at home against a champions league side let alone for an away game. Let us not forget that they have Kante who is still one of the best players in the world. Kante vs Madders in central midfield is an epic mismatch.

I don’t really fancy madderz in this one, would like to see how praet and tielemans play together, id only go offensive as we aren’t expected to get more than a point at most anyway and it would be dull to see us the same in the final third as we did against wolves 

2 hours ago, Goober said:

Because their midfield is full of quality players who have proven themselves over a number of years. I've watched them twice and they've looked good for long periods in both games. I'm not sure what's so confusing

What's confusing is the assertion that they've looked good this season, based on one league match that they lost 4-0, if you're basing it on performance past years that's fair enough, I just found it odd that you seemed to be specifically saying from what you saw against Man Utd. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Clarkey123 said:

I don’t really fancy madderz in this one, would like to see how praet and tielemans play together, id only go offensive as we aren’t expected to get more than a point at most anyway and it would be dull to see us the same in the final third as we did against wolves 

I think people are over reacting to the Wolves game slightly. Wolves do this to everyone, not just us and they are very very good at it. I don't think there are many teams in the league who are as good at negating ball dominant sides, Chelsea at home under Lampard certainly won't look to do that and hopefully we can be the ones to exploit that like Wolves did to us.

• Like 3

Just now, mancunianfox said:

I think people are over reacting to the Wolves game slightly. Wolves do this to everyone, not just us and they are very very good at it. I don't think there are many teams in the league who are as good at negating ball dominant sides, Chelsea at home under Lampard certainly won't look to do that and hopefully we can be the ones to exploit that like Wolves did to us.

Fair point

1 hour ago, urban fox said:

for a start they have the best DM currently playing in world football backed up by solid international players. I would have thought that was enough to start with. OK so they got off to bad start but that will mean nothing come next May. That said I do think they are the most likely to struggle to maintain top 4 due to the loss of Hazard

Totally agree @urban fox that wasn't really the point I was making. I was probably being a bit pedantic in all honesty. Any midfield with Kante in is going to be strong, time will tell whether or not they're going to be top 3 this season though... 

2 hours ago, Babylon said:

I'm not sure, I think there has been an improvement. We did actually dominate the play against Wolves, which we didn't really last season. We aren't conceding first all the time either which is a start. The press, when employed seems to get some joy and we've got more out of Vardy.

We got "stuff all and a bit" out of Vardy (very reminiscent of the supply to him under Puel) on Sunday, and I didn't notice any "press" if you mean high press. We didn't concede thanks to VAR versus Wolves, and frankly we never looked like scoring. Just hope for better soon....bloody soon if its destination Europe. I wasn't fully convinced that Rodgers was the right option and  I still hold that opinion.

I would rather not see us having to change managers any time soon though.

2 hours ago, LCFCSOULBOY said:

Just hope we don't play as slow as we did against Wolves. If we do our advantage over then because of extra time in Turkey won't make any difference, like against Wolves midweek game.

If we play fast 1-1 if not Chelsea 2-0

This is what I feel the difference is between ndidi and Kante, with Kante we’d get it back AND get the ball moving forward quickly, with ndidi we get it back then the ball player gives the opposition time to reshape

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

If the only option is Maddison on the left of a 4-3-3 then why is this such an outrage? Maddison in that system is a waste, he also hasn't scored a goal from open play since December worryingly.

Beat me to it. I'd sooner not play him than play him on the wing.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Ashley said:

I'll be happy with a draw. They should be knackered after Extra Time and Penalties in Turkey though. 

Potential win... maybe :dunno:

A strategic approach has us happy with a draw and then targeting wins in our next two games to leave us 8 from 4.  I would imagine that is how a professional club approaches its fixtures. Just trying to win every game is a sound bite you will hear but it isn’t the way it actually is. 

• Like 1

Applying my vast knowledge of the tactical side of football*, I would line up in a 4321. Width provided by the full backs. A midfield 3 that should offer a bit of everything. Maddison and Perez can float around, go wide and come inside. Youri can push forward and Ndidi and another can cover a destroy. 

Schmeichel

Ricardo . Evans . Söyüncü . Chilwell

Tielemans . Ndidi . Hamza/Praet

Perez . Maddison

Vardy

*= FIFA and that 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, st albans fox said:

A strategic approach has us happy with a draw and then targeting wins in our next two games to leave us 8 from 4.  I would imagine that is how a professional club approaches its fixtures. Just trying to win every game is a sound bite you will hear but it isn’t the way it actually is. 

Yep. I'd be happy with 8 from 4. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

I wonder if Rodgers will spring a surprise and start Praet? My gut feeling is that he will come off the bench and then start against the Blades / Newcastle in the cup but you never know.

Would prefer the 4-3-3 or 4-1-4-1 but maybe Praet is the missing piece in the puzzle for Rodgers diamond formation.