Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Koke

Chelsea (A) pre match

I think we'll narrowly lose this in a frustrating game.

I'd be more inclined to go with 4-3-3 in this but actually bench Maddison. I'd rather not play him at all than play him on the wing and I think against a team like Chelsea away from home we're going to need Ndidi and Choudhury in there. Get Barnes in for some genuine threat on the break. Schmeichel | Ricardo Evans Soyuncu Chilwell | Ndidi Choudhury Tielemans | Perez Vardy Barnes

17 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

I think it would work better with either guy, because both of them are always looking to play the ball forward. Hamza just doesn’t do that at this point- his instinct is to bunt the ball back to one of his defenders. Two guys doing that is an obvious problem.

Yeah. Agree.  A problem we have since Kante left. Obviously, even Rodgers thinks Ndidi is just too good of a tackler to leave out but just like Puel is trying to solve the problem of him being very poor technically on the ball, so he tries to supplement him with Hamza perhaps.  I dont know, but I suspect he wouldnt play 2 DMs if Ndidi is a better passer of the ball.

44 minutes ago, Tom12345 said:

Yeah. Agree.  A problem we have since Kante left. Obviously, even Rodgers thinks Ndidi is just too good of a tackler to leave out but just like Puel is trying to solve the problem of him being very poor technically on the ball, so he tries to supplement him with Hamza perhaps.  I dont know, but I suspect he wouldnt play 2 DMs if Ndidi is a better passer of the ball.

I don't get the logic of supplementing a guy who can't pass with another guy who can't pass - how does that help?  Choudhury offers nothing going forward at this point - even Mendy can offer more to build-up play.

There was a sequence Sunday where Ndidi was the first player to touch four straight Wolves throw-ins in our half - that just exemplifies what a tireless defender he is.  I don't dispute the value he brings, but the way you cover-up for his deficiencies is by having enough ball-playing options in midfield (Praet being the most obvious supplement at this point) that Wilf never has to be relied upon to start build-up.  Just hang back and break up attacks, and if he gets the ball he can dump it off to Praet or Tielemens and let them pick a pass.

Edited by Deeg67
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Jazzy_Jeff said:

Schmeichel

ricardo

evans

soyuncu

chilwell

ndidi

perez

maddison

tielemans

albrighton

vardy

subs: ward, Justin, Morgan, choudhury, praet, Barnes, iheanacho 

Would be happy with that. Bring on Barnes earlier than the 60th if we still can't shoot.

8 hours ago, Tom12345 said:

Got to improve Ndidi's passing (what Puel attempted), replace Ndidi with Hamza or convert Hamza into a box-to-box imo. Either way we'll be playing a player to improve his weakest skills.

2 hours ago, Foxxed said:

Got to improve Ndidi's passing (what Puel attempted), replace Ndidi with Hamza or convert Hamza into a box-to-box imo. Either way we'll be playing a player to improve his weakest skills.

His passing isn’t even as bad as people make it out to be, for some reason people seem to be of the opinion that he only manages to complete like 50% of his passes, where as he is actually not far behind Maddison in pass completion

With a higher average of passes per game of course he is likely to have a slightly lower pass completion (more chances for it to go wrong)

DEB16486-799B-4028-B6E8-5CC706148671.jpeg

1 minute ago, moore_94 said:

His passing isn’t even as bad as people make it out to be, for some reason people seem to be of the opinion that he only manages to complete like 50% of his passes, where as he is actually not far behind Maddison in pass completion

With a higher average of passes per game of course he is likely to have a slightly lower pass completion (more chances for it to go wrong)

Aside from comparing two players who don't play in the same position at all, It doesn't mention the passes forward. Most of Ndidi's passes are sideways or backwards.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, That_Dude said:

Aside from comparing two players who don't play in the same position at all, It doesn't mention the passes forward. Most of Ndidi's passes are sideways or backwards.

819 passed forward last season, Maddison managed 922

Top 30 in the league for forward passes last season

More than Gueye, Matic, Fabinho, Rice

Only 50 less than Henderson who was lauded for his forward passing last season

Very good numbers as well when you consider the football and system we were playing under Puel

On 12/08/2019 at 10:12, old koppite said:

I watched their first half yesterday and thought they looked good- didn’t deserve to be behind at ht. I just don’t get how anyone can say they’re crap.

Still a very difficult game for us, and if Kante plays I think we’ll be fortunate to get a draw. 

I thought this, idiots just looking at the final score, and not actually watching the game, especially the first half, the 4.0 score was absolutely flattering for man u, 

2.0 home win 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Very good numbers as well when you consider the football and system we were playing under Puel

Well Puel tried to make him pass forward more, but I'm still impressed by the number of completed passes nonetheless. Way above my expectations.

11 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Do you have a stat on the aggregate feet and yards his long range shots were away from the goal, must be getting close to a few miles over the course of a season?

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Based on the last match he's still one of our worst passers of the ball. Hamza, Chilwell, Ricardo, our CBs, Maddison and Tielemans are all significantly ahead of him. He is a beast when we need to tackle or intercept - there's hardly a better player in the Premier League. And his arial dominance is impressive. His ability to win us the ball is unparalleled. But when we have the ball and we need someone to make an incisive pass then he's lacking. He'll break them down, he'll tackle the ball away, he'll intercept their passes but he won't make the pass that splits them open.

Edited by Foxxed
  • Like 1

On 12/08/2019 at 09:52, Ric Flair said:

I think Praet will come in for this which hopefully will mean we shift Maddison back inside along with Tielemans in their usual role. Praet can operate as a narrow left sided midfielder and tick the diamond box for Brendan. We cannot leave Chilwell to conjure up all attacks down that left side, it would be ok if he was as good as Ricardo but he isn't, it's leaving us totally inept down one side of the pitch. This isn't an overreaction after one game, we saw it numerous times last season when Puel tried it and then Rodgers has seemingly taken over the baton after a superb first 7-8 games.

Harvey Barnes performance yesterday was so refreshing to see, I felt he ended last season a bit meekly and you sensed Rodgers wasn't quite as enamoured with him as Puel had been. He's now being challenged to earn his spot and I hope he forces his way in, we badly need his movement and ability to play wide left and drift across the forward line, he should suit Rodgers fluid style where his attacking midfielders all interchange. I noticed his first touch seems to be improving too in pre-season, this is key for him under Rodgers as he must be able to play those fast one two's.

Schmeichel

Ricardo

Evans

Boss Man (Soyuncu)

Chilwell

Ndidi

Perez

Tielemans

Maddison

Praet

Vardy

Agree.

Chilwell is simply an athlete and not a footballer. Nothing has changed in his football ability in the last 12 months, which is why he’s a waste of space going forward. Therefore we do need something further up the pitch that can actually fill this void and create something.

We need players who can run past people from what I can see. Barnes is one, Rico can do it from deep but I don’t see anyone else. 🤔

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Simoken said:

wow.... I wasn't expecting captain doom and gloom to arrive just yet but... **** me people need to lighten up. I guarantee a #rogersout comment will appear if we lose or draw come Sunday. fml

Glad that your comment was more measured than mine. Was going to type my own version of your statement and erased it before I read yours. Thank You.

I'm beginning to realize why I was always lerker when it came to forums. Time for me to take a break. Except for the Matches of course!

2 hours ago, moore_94 said:

Oh dear. I am not the biggest fan of Maddison’s, but surely you are not suggesting that Ndidi is a better passer of the ball than Maddison or close to him??

Apparently, based on the stats for the last game, Ndidi is a better passer than Messi! Wow.

48348AF0-5751-4A30-A43A-66614EF82571.jpeg

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, NotTheMarketLeader said:

Agree.

Chilwell is simply an athlete and not a footballer. Nothing has changed in his football ability in the last 12 months, which is why he’s a waste of space going forward. Therefore we do need something further up the pitch that can actually fill this void and create something.

We need players who can run past people from what I can see. Barnes is one, Rico can do it from deep but I don’t see anyone else. 🤔

Agree. I hope though Barnes starts instead of Hamza and possibly Praet starts instead of Maddison.

7 minutes ago, Tom12345 said:

Oh dear. I am not the biggest fan of Maddison’s, but surely you are not suggesting that Ndidi is a better passer of the ball than Maddison or close to him??

Apparently, based on the stats for the last game, Ndidi is a better passer than Messi! Wow.

48348AF0-5751-4A30-A43A-66614EF82571.jpeg

No, and you don’t need to be pedantic.

I am simply showing that his passing is not as crap as a lot of people seem to believe it is.

Except maybe a bit of a better improvement in his 80% passing completed (out of 100 passes he does not complete 20, only 4 more than Maddison, only 6 more than Tielemans, who are both expected to be better passers) his passing contribution is more than acceptable when it isn’t his main job, yet he is also still in the higher rankings of players getting the game moving forward.

With how unreal his defensive contribution to our team is, he deserves a little bit of leeway regarding his passing and not being bashed for it constantly.

His passing has actually improved last season compared to the season before, no reason to believe it won’t keep improving.

People just seem to be stuck to the idea that his passing is terrible and can’t move away from that idea, so the instant he makes a bad pass (which unsurprisingly all players do) they jump on it and make it a bigger thing than it is.

35 minutes ago, goose2010 said:

KAnte picked up an injury against United so hasn't travelled for the game tomorrow. Hopefully the injury isn't too bad but if it keeps him out on Sunday that will be a real bonus for us.

If we have designs on the top six then I disagree with you ...... a niggle that restricts his participation for much of the season sounds pretty good to me .....