Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
That_Dude

Ayoze Pérez

I actually quite like Ayoze, think he brings something different and was a mainstay during 2 top 5 finishes. Even if people argue he was the weakest player in those 2 years, he was still important, and arguably undervalued IMO in terms of the balance he brought to the side. 

That said think he’ll move on this summer to a La Liga club. Believe he said that’s what he was looking at doing before he was enticed by our “project”, so can see that’s where he ends up. Hopefully we can recoup £5-10mil in the process

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StanSP said:

£30m is a lot for what we paid a few seasons ago but this is amusing nonetheless. 

When will people learn? Bernardo Silva and Riyad Mahrez did not pull up any trees in their first seasons under Guardiola. Rodri also did not have anywhere near the level of impact that he is having now. Players take time to adjust to playing under Guardiola. You watch Grealish next season, he'll be much better. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, BenTheFox said:

When will people learn? Bernardo Silva and Riyad Mahrez did not pull up any trees in their first seasons under Guardiola. Rodri also did not have anywhere near the level of impact that he is having now. Players take time to adjust to playing under Guardiola. You watch Grealish next season, he'll be much better. 

Fair enough if he does. And agree that some players take a while to settle in (I've made the same argument for players we've signed and that we should be patient). 

But for £100m paid I'd want a bigger return through a few more goals and assists in the first season. 

3 hours ago, BenTheFox said:

Exactly this. His ability has been diluted by the fact that he is surrounded by multiple world class players. I mean, if you have Mahrez, Silva, Foden and KDB playing around you then you’re output will be less because goals and assists will be more distributed. Plus, as Grealish rightly said yesterday, he has often had game time when City have been closing games out. Guardiola has sent him on with the fundamental aim to keep the ball. I am sure he will do well next season.

7 hours ago, Foxes96 said:

I actually quite like Ayoze, think he brings something different and was a mainstay during 2 top 5 finishes. Even if people argue he was the weakest player in those 2 years, he was still important, and arguably undervalued IMO in terms of the balance he brought to the side. 

That said think he’ll move on this summer to a La Liga club. Believe he said that’s what he was looking at doing before he was enticed by our “project”, so can see that’s where he ends up. Hopefully we can recoup £5-10mil in the process

He has some merits, sadly the bullet header down here that got him the move, that Newcastle saw us coming, £30m indeed, laughable.  Clever but lightweight & actually quite lazy.

Took that 1st goal very well yesterday, sadly it was very similar to the sitter he skied at the Bridge last year to take us to the Champions League, that won't be forgotten. (well by me anyway!!)

He offers us 3 good games a season with 4 goals and 1 assist. Not good enough for an attacking player in a team that scores loads of goals. I'd bin him. Accept the first decent offer. 

• Like 2

When you think of the “winning mindset” that Rodgers has repeatedly spoken of, Ayoze is the complete opposite.

Not been a serial winner, is adequate at most things and limited at others.

Hopefully the stats that have been mentioned above might be picked up by another clubs scouting department (let’s gloss over other scouting attention to detail).

I don’t dislike the guy but even with the 5 subs, lack of European football means I can’t see him getting much of a sniff.

Fair play to his link up with Ricky but he only played 13 games himself this season so not a strong enough argument to keep.

Another Rodgers ‘enigma’.

Perez can change games. We’ve all seen it. His link up play CAN be sublime and has goals in him.

But then he can be absolutely absent in games, you literally wouldn’t know he’s playing.

Perez epitomises our time under Rodgers… the sublime to the sometimes ridiculous.

Edited by Col city fan

6 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Another Rodgers ‘enigma’.

Perez can change games. We’ve all seen it. His link up play CAN be sublime and has goals in him.

But then he can be absolutely absent in games, you literally wouldn’t know he’s playing.

Perez epitomises our time under Rodgers… the sublime to the sometimes ridiculous.

I know I seem to blame Rodgers for everything - but he just does not develop players - he discards them.

WE paid for perez - we  pay his wages - so why not get  personal coach to sort him out for the different roles that Brendan requires of him?

I can’t help think the Perez appreciation has come from his limited minutes this season?

He was playing week in, week out for the previous two seasons and was by far the weakest link (in his defence) in a strong chain.

If we had to rely on him either at RW or cover for Madders (which he has previously done ample times) then we’d not kick on from his previous years of offering very little consistently. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

I know I seem to blame Rodgers for everything - but he just does not develop players - he discards them.

WE paid for perez - we  pay his wages - so why not get  personal coach to sort him out for the different roles that Brendan requires of him?

Quite a lot of money as well if I recall?

I agree. A signing of that magnitude can’t just be left to play a bit part role in a team such as ours. But we know that football is it’s own world… in any other profession, bosses need to see returns on investments. In football… well just look at 100 million for Grealish who clearly isn’t in Pep’s first team plans at present.

For what we paid for Perez, his role to the first team doesn’t equate really. 
If you really look at the signings Rodgers has made, very few have actually cemented first team positions. In terms of, a clear first team player.

Thats poor really however anyone might want to spin it.

Edited by Col city fan

2 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Quite a lot of money as well if I recall?

I agree. A signing of that magnitude can’t just be left to play a bit part role in a team such as ours. But we know that football is it’s own world… in any other profession, bosses need to see returns on investments. In football… well just look at 100 million for Grealish who clearly isn’t in Pep’s first team plans at present.

For what we paid for Perez, his role to the first team doesn’t equate really. 

sad thing is there is a good player in there - and he could have been an asset. Sure he need some Gym work and to stay on his feet... a personal development coach could have sorted him out I am sure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HighPeakFox said:

I'd like to know how true it is that £30m has actually been spent on him. Opinion/facts on this seem to differ...

Who knows? Both clubs don't seem to mind the number being used, so I have no problem with people working on that assumption.

I like Perez. But he has one more good contract in his career, and it probably won't be here.

2 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

I've not checked, but I'm gonna guess that if you look at most of best performances over the last 3 seasons, this guys name is on the team sheet. Not saying he's not played in bad games, but I kind of feel he's been there when we've played well mostly. 

That's not saying we can't improve on him either, I just think he maybe does a lot that people don't notice.

To be honest I thought he was certain to be flogged off this summer, and I would have agreed with it too. Recently though, he has shown some quality and I would be disappointed for us to sell him when I feel we might be getting something out of him now. 

17 hours ago, jmono84 said:

Thing is I never really rated what Grealish did at Villa and for Man C to pay £100m is disgusting.

....everything was built around him at Villa and he ran the team!!!

Pep has indoctrinated him into the way he wants him to play and you will see him playing with more game time. Mahrez was similarly held back in his first season.

The price for Grealish has perhaps been the catalyst for Maddison to get his head down and perform, because he came out of the division first and has found himself way behind Grealish in all aspects. 

13 hours ago, Harpenden Fox said:

Ayoze Perez = Graeme Hick

...not sure I get this one!!!

It seems like a comparison that cannot be made, but I may have missed something. Hick was "...the great white hope" a formidable batsman against county bowlers. He was a run machine in County cricket, centuries and double hundreds time after time. He came up against International bowlers with genuine pace and it was clear to see he could not handle it.

• Like 2