Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Koke

Sheffield United (A) pre match

17 minutes ago, FIF said:

You'd take out our two most energetic and influential players and replace one with a slow midfield clogger? 

No way.

I'll go with the same starting lineup - except Chillerz back in for Fuchs. 

Barnes to be the first sub brought on though - and that should be for Tielemans if he plays like he did in the first 2 matches or Vardy if he "isn't getting the service".

Sheffield have looked solid at the back but without any real spark. They make mistakes so we need to press them from the first minute. High and hard press and we come away with a 3 or 4 goal victory.

How different are Perez and Barnes in terms of energy? The latter is faster as well. At this point (although early on) Barnes looks like more of a threat and we don't need both Choudhury and Ndidi playing against Sheff Utd. I like both but this game isn't calling out for both. They'll play with 5 across the back to, so the last thing we need is to find ourselves overly defensive. We've been caught out like this plenty of times before.

I'd be tempted to move Maddison centrally with Barnes on the wing to inject a bit of pace.

Tielemans for Barnes is/would be completely the wrong sub.

For what it's worth, Vardy is bound to open his account for the season against these. Can see the celebration already.

Edited by Frost
  • Like 1

Tielemans and Maddison need to start centrally, end of. For me, the way that makes the most sense to enable that is Perez and Barnes as wingers and the other two as 8s. If Rodgers wants it to be a diamond with Praet in it, he's boss, just worried about width against a team like Sheffield Utd.

40 minutes ago, FIF said:

You'd take out our two most energetic and influential players and replace one with a slow midfield clogger? 

No way.

I'll go with the same starting lineup - except Chillerz back in for Fuchs. 

Barnes to be the first sub brought on though - and that should be for Tielemans if he plays like he did in the first 2 matches or Vardy if he "isn't getting the service".

Sheffield have looked solid at the back but without any real spark. They make mistakes so we need to press them from the first minute. High and hard press and we come away with a 3 or 4 goal victory.

Bit harsh to call Praet a slow midfield clogger. And I don't see how Perez was more influential than, say, Maddison this game. 

2 hours ago, RowlattsFox said:

Maddison is not playing as a winger, he may be put there on graphics but I'm pretty confident Rodgers doesn't want him staying wide, he wants him roaming inside from the left and then covering out their when we don't have the ball. Same goes for Perez on the other side.

Difference in second half was we were able to get some control and this allowed the rotating positions to work better.

exactly.

The same way the graphic has Hazard as a winger, he's not. 

4 hours ago, st albans fox said:

We have to look to win this but players with that attitude would be an issue. She’d u’s  second game back in the prem, unbeaten thus far, have confidence, strength and are well organised. I will be more than happy with a scrappy 1-0 though is suspect our game plan will be to pass it around ad nauseum and get in around the back and show some composure once we are. 

Scrappy 1-0 win it is then!!

39 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Schmeichel

Pereira

Cags

Evans

Chillwell

Ndidi

Praet

Tielemans

Maddison

Barnes

Vardy

The pace up top will kill them when we counter attack them.

I could see us having about 83% possession for this game, not including counter attacks. 

5 minutes ago, Danny Clender said:

I could see us having about 83% possession for this game, not including counter attacks. 

Hahah, the way Chrissy Wilder likes his teams to attack, we should get plenty of opportunities to break on them when they inevitably lose the ball.

It should be a good game, I've got massive respect for Sheff Utd to be fair, Wilder seems a top bloke and I'm glad he's managed to get a chance in the Prem. He's put together the kind of team you'd love as fan base, much like Pearson did with us

• Like 3

1 minute ago, filbertway said:

Hahah, the way Chrissy Wilder likes his teams to attack, we should get plenty of opportunities to break on them when they inevitably lose the ball.

It should be a good game, I've got massive respect for Sheff Utd to be fair, Wilder seems a top bloke and I'm glad he's managed to get a chance in the Prem. He's put together the kind of team you'd love as fan base, much like Pearson did with us

So true, they're this years favourite underdog. 

Schmeichel

Ricardo

Evans

Soyuncu

Chilwell

Ndidi

Tielemans

Praet

Perez

Vardy

Maddison

Subs: Ward, Morgan, Justin, Choudhury, Barnes, Albrighton, Iheanacho 

Harsh to drop Perez after two games. They play 3 in the middle so I’d go like for like and encourage Maddison/Perez to drift inside leaving the fullbacks to overlap 

This is BRs call,with no repucusions from me...

Choudry pushing up with Tielemans,and Ndidi DM,works fine by me..but if he wants to start with Barnes or Albrighton,also fine by me...

Choosing now team selection,gives you the wrong perspective,if you want to debate the right and wrongs of the days performance..The selection from the squad won't be wrong,but the selected teams performance with subs,will be the criteria...

We have a top 16-maybe 18 squad,they should all fit in!!..

Would prefer us to go back to the three in midfield from the backend of last season, bring Barnes in for Hamza. 

Don't like playing the newly promoted teams away early on, we will have to take the sting out of it early on, certainly start better than yesterday. They won't give us as much space as Chelsea did second half.

That being said, it's a game we've got to be winning, no excuses really. 

This absolutely will not be easy. They're on a high and we know how tough it is to play against teams with that buzz. Atmosphere should be electric so our end need to be on form as well.

I'm hoping that we have too much quality but we've started the last two games pretty terribly in all honesty so I'm worried we'll do similar.

• Like 1

Though game. They'll be up for it. We can't afford to play like we did first half yesterday and all game against Wolves.

Need to get going quick, put them under pressure, get 1-0 up.

Please please hope we win. 

5 hours ago, Finnegan said:

For me, part of the Tielemans problem is the Maddison problem. 

I know I keep banging the drum about playing Maddison out of position* but we signed Tielemans off the strength of how he played as an alternating 8/10 in a 433 with Madders. They both played so well with each other to play off, the system let them alternate in holding responsibility and helped them link up and find space. 

We make a big fuss about needing him, sign him then change the shape. 

At worst it's daft, at best they'll need time to adjust. 

Maddison - Tielemans 

Ndidi 

For me, that's the third best central midfield in the league after Man City and Tottenham. Obviously it helps its an area Chelsea, Arsenal and United are all weak in (and Liverpool largely ignore) but I honestly believe its the biggest strength of our team. 

Other teams might have better individual midfielders but I think ours as a sum is our strength. 

So why are we messing with it? 

*as we played last year under BR. 

I assume we wanted Hamza in midfield with Tielemans and so Maddison had to go out wide. I suspect that'll change next match with a less defensive setup. But it still doesn't explain why Tielemans continues underperform - and has been doing so since the last match of last season. I don't understand the argument that Tielemans can only perform if Maddison is in the centre tbh.

Edited by Foxxed

We can’t start with Albrighton/Maddison on one side and Perez on the other, not enough verticality with those lot. Barnes makes us a lot more dangerous because he stretches defences.

• Like 2

Just now, Stadt said:

We can’t start with Albrighton/Maddison on one side and Perez on the other, not enough verticality with those lot. Barnes makes us a lot more dangerous because he stretches defences.

Had a very good game when he last played there for West Brom.