Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
TJB-fox

Ghezzal

Just now, Dan LCFC said:

It's what happens when you overpay on both fee and wages. We need to ensure it doesn't happen again.

Unfortunately it’s the gamble you have to make when buying from foreign leagues. No other European league pays the same wages as the prem unless it’s a top top player such as Ronaldo, Messi etc. If we’re going to gamble with players from abroad then we have to put them on English wages. Some will work out well - Kante, Mahrez, Ricardo - some will not work out and we’ll be stuck paying big wages for players out on loan - Slim, Ghezzal, Silva. It’s just the way it is. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Tuna said:

He's next to useless, nowhere near Premier League quality.

Even his best moment for us was in our most humiliating defeat in years.

As one of the few that saw the league cup win over Fleetwood, I have to disagree with you! 

But his two best moments being in games against Fleetwood & Newport kind of says it all.

I kinda feel sorry for him. He never really had any chance here.

A signing made by a manager nobody really liked that much. Like a knock-off version of Riyad Mahrez someone picked up from the bargain bin on a garage forecourt and hoped nobody would notice.

I mean, don't get me wrong... He's pants. But I kinda feel for the guy.

Edited by RoboFox

I think this guy was the only signing I can remember where the consensus here prior to purchase was that he wasn’t good enough, so one up for FT.

Seems like a likeable bloke who I believe has tried hard and was sometimes perhaps unfairly pilloried, but at the end of the day it turned out pretty much as predicted here. Shame our recruitment guys wouldn’t listen/weren’t listening.

Good luck to him, and I hope he manages to make a decent career for himself.

Money poorly spent, but he wasn't/isn't even that terrible.

Far too many looked at him and said 'well he's not Mahrez, therefore he's shit'.

He played the combined total of about 8 full league games for us, most of those off the bench. He was man of the match in the Burnley game. That late cameo against Man Utd at home was quality, and against any other keeper that free kick would've gone flyign in. I can't remember when the ridiculous booing started but it must have been February at the latest - this is a guy that had been in England for just 6 months, backed by the club's manager, and we had thousands booing when he was about to come on, and groaning whenever he tried something and lost the ball.

Yeah sure, Rodgers doesn't fancy him over the other three or four wingers we have, and probably I don't either, but Puel did rate him having worked with him for several years, and Puel had a very, very good eye for a player.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, jeffschlupp said:

Far too many looked at him and said 'well he's not Mahrez, therefore he's shit'.

He played the combined total of about 8 full league games for us, most of those off the bench. He was man of the match in the Burnley game. That late cameo against Man Utd at home was quality, and against any other keeper that free kick would've gone flyign in. I can't remember when the ridiculous booing started but it must have been February at the latest - this is a guy that had been in England for just 6 months, backed by the club's manager, and we had thousands booing when he was about to come on, and groaning whenever he tried something and lost the ball.

Yeah sure, Rodgers doesn't fancy him over the other three or four wingers we have, and probably I don't either, but Puel did rate him having worked with him for several years, and Puel had a very, very good eye for a player.

Half of the first sentence is right by saying money spent poorly on him but the guy was shite and still is shite and will always be shite unfortunately. 

• Like 2

We never really saw much of Ghezzal. I don't think he's as bad as made out, but he doesn't seem to have the pace for playing on the wing, and painfully one footed.

Seem to remember he played centrally one game and looked really promising (can't remember which game that was though), but it's not as if we're struggling for central players. I do think there's a half decent player in there somewhere though, but it's not going to be with us.

Edited by Charl91
  • Like 2

Just think he couldn't adapt to English football. Being skilful is one thing, doing it when you are getting closed down, harried etc is where I felt Ghezzal let himself down. Speed of thought and decision making just not there. Seems a decent enough guy, good luck to him. 

He's obviously a technically gifted footballer, but he had virtually no time to adapt to English football. Do feel sorry for the guy - I reckon Puel would have liked him from what he'd seen in the French league, moreover, being the imaginative man he is, decided that if we sold an Algerian right winger who can cut in with his left whose name begins with 'R', we will get the exact same result if we get another person who fits that mould. Although he's not young, a year playing regularly in the Championship could do wonders. Oh well - good luck to him! 

4 hours ago, Steve Earle said:

As one of the few that saw the league cup win over Fleetwood, I have to disagree with you! 

But his two best moments being in games against Fleetwood & Newport kind of says it all.

He scored a great goal against fleetwood but other than that goal he was lousy,

was very sloppy on the ball

4 hours ago, jeffschlupp said:

I think I would have to agree with that. I felt he appeared to be better in the centre than out on the wing. Quite often when he appeared to be criticised for passing back etc you could see him looking for an alternative but our other players were invarioubly not up with play. If you compare his opportunities to Iheanacho and Gray they were limited but I'd pick him in the number 10 role ahead of Nacho every day of the week. Fans expecting Marhez type 2 were always going to be disappointed. I personally wish him all the best, unlike Nacho he always appeared to give of his best.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nettle said:

Half of the first sentence is right by saying money spent poorly on him but the guy was shite and still is shite and will always be shite unfortunately. 

You can clearly judge shite,  I'm surprised our recruitment team aren't all over you like a rash you're that good!  Oh they're not. Why the vitriol? His background would tend to suggest he's certainly not that bad. He appears to have always given of his best and it just didn't work out end of but, I suppose the use of such extremes allows you to puff your chest out a little bit. 

Edited by volpeazzurro
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

You can clearly judge shite,  I'm surprised our recruitment team aren't all over you like a rash you're that good!  Oh they're not. Why the vitriol? His background would tend to suggest he's certainly not that bad. He appears to have always given of his best and it just didn't work out end of but, I suppose the use of such extremes allows you to puff your chest out a little bit. 

When a player has this before you sign him, as opposed to a highlight reel we all suspected he would be shit

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, HankMarvin said:

When a player has this before you sign him, as opposed to a highlight reel we all suspected he would be shit

I remember one such compilation of Jordan Henderson being f***ing useless at Burton Albion in the cup for Liverpool a few years ago.

The same player lifted the Champions League trophy aloft 2 months ago.

Players that were shit for one game or in fact one club aren't necessarily going to be shit everywhere they go. For a club that won the league with a band of rejects, that's not hard to understand.

6 hours ago, jeffschlupp said:

Is he the right fit for us? No

Should we have spent £12m on him? No

Should we have given him a 4 year contract? No

Does the current manager rate him? No

But shite? That is just plain wrong, and stupid.

As I went on to say in a post you've apparently only read one sentence of, he has had some quality moments given he only played 23 times for us in all comps, most of those off the bench. Shite players also don't record 16 goal contributions in 29 league games in a top 5 league and for a Champions League club in Lyon who would comfortably beat us.

Our entitled fanbase, most of whom must 'forget' watching players like Junior Lewis, have booed the lad on multiple occasions having only played a dozen or so games in blue. Did we write off Jamie Vardy after one season, did we write off Albrighton when he couldn't get in a team that went 13 winless, did we write off Drinkwater when he was absolutely diabolical at first and then again in 14-15?

I'll leave you with this from James Maddison, who I reckon might just know his stuff about attacking skill and quality.

"Ghezzal has the most tricks at the club. He’s a very skilful player. The fans have only seen glimpses of it so far. You should see his skills in training. He’s a bit like Mahrez the way he carries the ball.”

I mean, yeah, we did. All 3 lol

Our fans are incredibly quick to write players off.

You feel Perez needs a goal soon before the vultures begin to circle.

Edited by Nod.E
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, jeffschlupp said:

I remember one such compilation of Jordan Henderson being f***ing useless at Burton Albion in the cup for Liverpool a few years ago.

The same player lifted the Champions League trophy aloft 2 months ago.

Players that were shit for one game or in fact one club aren't necessarily going to be shit everywhere they go. For a club that won the league with a band of rejects, that's not hard to understand.

It’s not one game there are many examples he also was sold for 12.5m profit in one season, they sold 228m of players that year.

Obviously didn’t need the money.

So why was he sold, because they realised it was too good to turn down.

because as their fans alluded to at the time he was “shit” 

look at his whole career only once has he scored more than 2 in a season.

The anomaly was the one season he got 8 goals.

The rest have all been very similar.

sure he will find a level in Turkey or something but it’s clear he isn’t up to Prem Standard.