Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
TJB-fox

Ghezzal

On 05/08/2018 at 19:48, Alex007 said:

He can't do much... Really, he's a bad player... 

Remember Thauvin in Newcastle ?? That's Messi compared to Ghezzal... No troll ! 

On 05/08/2018 at 19:57, Alex007 said:

How could this be possible ?? 

You didn't know Rachid "Le Kebabier" Ghezzal, aka the slowest / the dumbest / the craziest winger of Ligue 1 ? 

On 05/08/2018 at 20:09, Alex007 said:

He's bad at everything... 

Just ask yourselves : is there a player who have failed in Ligue 1 (in two differents teams) and who suddenly succeed in Premier League ?? 

Could be historic for you !! 

On 05/08/2018 at 20:36, Alex007 said:

Not exactly ! It means "thank you Leicester to pay Monaco 14 millions euros for that player:D:D

We thought the Monaco fan that was posting might be bitter at the time

turns out he was insightful 

As for quoting Maddison saying how skilful he is in Training, them blokes that go round doing freestyle skills are good but they ain’t playing top level football.

Bottom line

If BR thought he could bring something to the team he wouldn’t be getting shunted out on loan after a year.

• Like 1

... I was at the Liverpool game at home last season, he looked very skillful and composed on the ball. The only problem is he can not play on the wing, absolutely no instinct as a winger!! 

Thought he could cover the ten role and felt that it could be an option as Maddison was not getting the full 90 mins to bring him on at the end. As a winger he does not take the opportunity in respect of the space created for him and he is always looking for support and will slow the attack down instead of committing the defender. 

It begs the question was he scouted and if so, how did we get it so wrong? 

• Like 3

He's actually quite a neat and tidy footballer but for a winger he lacks pace and the ability to beat a man which is crucial in that position. A full back would love to play against him as he's not going to hurt him. 

I don't blame Ghezzal though as it's not his fault that he's not at this level. I'm of the opinion of buy cheap, buy twice. It was an awful purchase as he was mid 20's and had failed for the last couple of years in Ligue One. Monaco and Algeria fans both warned us he wasn't good enough. If a player isn't doing it at 25 then chances are he'll never make it. Sure there are exceptions like Vardy but Ghezzal was playing first team football since the 2012/13 season. There was no evidence he was going to come here and make the position his own. 

It was a lazy and reckless purchase especially as Monaco wanted rid and we were the only suitors. I can't understand why we didn't force their hand to getting him on loan with an option to buy at a set price. Usually when we make a bad expensive signing they stink out the place for years going on loan after loan until their contract is up. I expect him to stay here until his contract is up going on loan like King, James, Silva and Slimani.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, jeffschlupp said:

Is he the right fit for us? No

Should we have spent £12m on him? No

Should we have given him a 4 year contract? No

Does the current manager rate him? No

But shite? That is just plain wrong, and stupid.

As I went on to say in a post you've apparently only read one sentence of, he has had some quality moments given he only played 23 times for us in all comps, most of those off the bench. Shite players also don't record 16 goal contributions in 29 league games in a top 5 league and for a Champions League club in Lyon who would comfortably beat us.

Our entitled fanbase, most of whom must 'forget' watching players like Junior Lewis, have booed the lad on multiple occasions having only played a dozen or so games in blue. Did we write off Jamie Vardy after one season, did we write off Albrighton when he couldn't get in a team that went 13 winless, did we write off Drinkwater when he was absolutely diabolical at first and then again in 14-15?

I'll leave you with this from James Maddison, who I reckon might just know his stuff about attacking skill and quality.

"Ghezzal has the most tricks at the club. He’s a very skilful player. The fans have only seen glimpses of it so far. You should see his skills in training. He’s a bit like Mahrez the way he carries the ball.”

Genuine question, would Lyon beat us comfortably? I’m not so sure they would.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

... I was at the Liverpool game at home last season, he looked very skillful and composed on the ball. The only problem is he can not play on the wing, absolutely no instinct as a winger!! 

Thought he could cover the ten role and felt that it could be an option as Maddison was not getting the full 90 mins to bring him on at the end. As a winger he does not take the opportunity in respect of the space created for him and he is always looking for support and will slow the attack down instead of committing the defender. 

100% this

8 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

Getting things wrong is part and parcel of recruitment. We have indeed signed some ’Turkeys’ that would grace any US family’s Thanksgiving dinner table.  BUT we have also unearthed several diamonds and made massive profits on fees.  The 2016 Summer Window will go down as the worst in our history, but hopefully we will go on improving year on year. 

Knew by Christmas that he had no chance of ever making it in the Premier League - not physical enough, quick enough or ambitious enough. Don't think I ever saw him beat a man. I'm afraid he'll be right up there when the list of 'worst-value-for-the-price paid' Leicester footballers are produced...

Take the hit. learn, move on.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Charl91 said:

We never really saw much of Ghezzal. I don't think he's as bad as made out, but he doesn't seem to have the pace for playing on the wing, and painfully one footed.

Seem to remember he played centrally one game and looked really promising (can't remember which game that was though), but it's not as if we're struggling for central players. I do think there's a half decent player in there somewhere though, but it's not going to be with us.

Against Burnley in the remembrance fixture. We were pretty lacklustre (perhaps understandably so) but Ghezzal looked well up for it playing in the no10 role. Nothing came of it though and it ended goalless.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, jeffschlupp said:

I remember one such compilation of Jordan Henderson being f***ing useless at Burton Albion in the cup for Liverpool a few years ago.

The same player lifted the Champions League trophy aloft 2 months ago.

Players that were shit for one game or in fact one club aren't necessarily going to be shit everywhere they go. For a club that won the league with a band of rejects, that's not hard to understand.

Hardly comparable.

One had been part of the Liverpool setup for five years back then already, the other had just recently joined a new club in a new country.

Adaptation to new surroundings make it harder, particularly for sports people from Latin countries, and especially in football. Most Spanish, French or Italian athletes that I know of don't really speak or understand English that well.

I wouldn't call them all thick, but it's safe to say you won't find a lot of very brain-smart players in football in general.

Seems to be the case here, coupled with a questionable physique. He just never fit in. Ghezzal always looked too lightweight, too fragile, frail for the PL to me. And he is incredibly one-footed. He has done well on a Ligue 1 level and will do so again, no doubt about it. He has the talent. 

Edited by MC Prussian

4 hours ago, Xen said:

Against Burnley in the remembrance fixture. We were pretty lacklustre (perhaps understandably so) but Ghezzal looked well up for it playing in the no10 role. Nothing came of it though and it ended goalless.

Yup, I was over for that one and he played really well. It was a tough fixture obviously but his performance stood out. Shame the two guys behind me concentrated on the negatives all game and kept saying “leave, you’re not Mahrez. Who does he think he is? Mahrez? Rubbish (making it PG of course)” etc. etc.

Poor guy and idiots behind me were nearly smacked, if there’s one game you support al the players unconditionally, it was that one. 

• Like 1

Ghezzal was badly advised (I don't believe he made the decision to leave Lyon on his own). I was one of those who knew he wouldn't make it in the EPL when I saw him play in sub-saharan Africa with the national team. He was like a curly-haired Bambi encercled by indomptable lions. Yes, he has the right to be impatient because a professional career is very short and he was already 25 but he had to be realistic. He is no resilient stowaway, he's a professional footballer who had to hit the ground running with no time for salam alikum and adjustmen, alone with the the language barrier and a tough concurrence...Saying all that, he can still do the job elsewhere though I'm glad he and other softies didn't make it to the Afcon.

PS: the 2 videos on page 1 were made in decembre 2016, around the time he became free to sign elsewhere and was given constant hard time by OL ultras.

FYI, Charly M.= Charlie M.= C. Martel= Charles Martel, the French supremacists hero who stopped the muslims in Poitiers in 732 AD.

On 27/08/2019 at 17:29, jeffschlupp said:

Money poorly spent, but he wasn't/isn't even that terrible.

Far too many looked at him and said 'well he's not Mahrez, therefore he's shit'.

He played the combined total of about 8 full league games for us, most of those off the bench. He was man of the match in the Burnley game. That late cameo against Man Utd at home was quality, and against any other keeper that free kick would've gone flyign in. I can't remember when the ridiculous booing started but it must have been February at the latest - this is a guy that had been in England for just 6 months, backed by the club's manager, and we had thousands booing when he was about to come on, and groaning whenever he tried something and lost the ball.

Yeah sure, Rodgers doesn't fancy him over the other three or four wingers we have, and probably I don't either, but Puel did rate him having worked with him for several years, and Puel had a very, very good eye for a player.

Unfortunately, Puel used his bad eye for this one....

Slightly off topic but agree with the above. I remember being in Stockholm for that Barca game when Musa bagged a double. I'd had about 10 pints and I was hell-bent on convincing both my Arsenal supporting mate and a Syrian taxi driver who spoke very little English that Musa was the Second Coming of Jesus Christ.

Still annoyed thinking about it now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1