Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bald reynard

Puel appointed St Etienne Manager

Hard to imagine a better gig for him, really.  A top division club that's struggling badly but has a rich history.  Enough talent to survive if they get organized and a little more clinical.  In his native country, where he won't have to deal with the xenophobic fans he did in the PL.  All he has to do to make his first year a success is stay up, really, and he'll surely do that.

8 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

You're mistaken, mate. I was just talking to him the other day and he was fuming. Absolutely hates this forum, thinks we're all plebs, but he loves to read it. Like an addict that doesn't know whats good for him.

He periodically lurks on the "Is the City of Leicester a Dump Thread" 

You do make a lot of good points and valid points but I still think the Language was the biggest problem. It can be difficult to get your message across in the manner that Rogers can.

The methods and approach are the same from both both of them.  The difference is BR has managed to keep the players particularly Vardy with him so far anyway.

Where as Vardy wasn't happy and so lead a revolt. But what has actually changed for him, he's still isolated alone up front which was the trust of his moaning.

Puel brought in Youri to help with that, Now he's reaping the benefits. BR has Vardy working harder without the Ball which he wasn't doing with Puel.

I'd say Puel is every bit as good a Coach as Brendan, Just compare the two records which proves it. But we're talking small margins.

He'd be a great DIF. He may not have been a people person or communicator, But neither was Sir Alf Ramsey. Sometimes you have to get inside the person to find out what makes them tick.

But he had a real passion and ability to make players personally better, consequently his team improved.

Look at Puels signings compared to Rogers. Most of Rogers haven't been heard of since with the exception of Coutinho, who is even having problems.

While we do have group to overlook signings, Managers generally have a big say. It's the nature of the job. But we can certainly say that Ricardo and Tielemans Diabate are definitely Puel signings.

Along with Maguire, Chilwelland Choudry who are now a regular starters. That little lot alone is potentially worth 4 to 500 million.

As I said previously, He may have not been perfect, who is. But we certainly have a lot to thank him for in his short time here.

Rogers has only started here so the jury is still out. But he has a lot to be thankful to Puel for and a lot to live up to.  Time will tell.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Correct. That was one of my biggest frustrations with him, he wasn't willing to learn and adapt.

He frustrated the hell out of the players and staff with his methods - it was his way and his way only.

The better bosses, certainly in the modern era, are good listeners and smarter man managers.

Has Puel got a decent eye for talent? The signings while he was in charge were more hit than miss I agree but the recruitment is a collective thing from what I gather. The manager says what type of player he needs, the recruitment/scouting team look for players and crunch the stats, the manager and DoF then discuss the financial possibilities for each potential signing. The manager usually gets his way but can be overruled. (Ranieri desperately wanted Mendy but Walsh snr et al wore him down to get Kante.) Therefore I doubt Rodgers is directly in charge of transfers. I don't think managers have quite the same role as they used to when wanting players in/out.

Has Rodgers publicly said he wants Ibe? Maybe he sees something in him he can work on. Sometimes a player needs the right manager/environment to flourish.

Do we know that we were definitely tracking Daniel James? To be fair I'm sure most clubs of our size and above were.
(PS I'm told he did all the photos/media stuff at Leeds, ready to be announced, and then the plug was pulled.)

"His only problem was the language."
Oh come on. Even the most ardent, blinkered Puelites (or whatever the word is) would surely admit that was far from his only problem.

"He's a good coach."

Really? The players didn't enjoy his coaching methods and the dull, repetitive training which he stuck rigidly to. He didn't care about getting the players 'onside' which was down to his stubbornness. 

"the Club should have offered him DoF and put him  in charge of the junior teams from the 23s down. Now that would have been exciting."

It really wouldn't have been. There didn't appear to be much warmth towards Puel from the younger first team players nor the academy kids about him. He's not a "people's person" or decent man-manager. There aren't many who would've run through walls for him. We are well rid of him.

Top qualiteee post if I ever saw one!  

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Clever Fox said:

Where as Vardy wasn't happy and so lead a revolt.

Vardy led a revolt? Where did you hear this?

Yes, he was one of many disenfranchised players and staff.

But I genuinely don't think he was ringleader in any way.

They were pretty much all unhappy, not one person banging the drum and others following.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Vardy led a revolt? Where did you hear this?

Yes, he was one of many disenfranchised players and staff.

But I genuinely don't think he was ringleader in any way.

They were pretty much all unhappy, not one person banging the drum and others following.

We know along with Kasper and Wes to a lesser extent now they are the leaders of the group. There's nothing wrong with that just sometimes it's misplaced.through lack of knowledge or experience.

• 2 weeks later...