Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bald reynard

Puel appointed St Etienne Manager

He’ll be more comfortable speaking to players and press in his native tongue, that’s for sure.

His expressionless, tedious English was undoubtedly a handicap here - both in front of the media and, as we have since found out (and, if truth be told, always suspected) in the dressing room too.

No hard feelings though. Bonne chance avec Les Verts, Claude.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Good luck Claude

3 hours ago, TK95 said:

Good luck! 

2 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

Thanks for Ricardo, Claude - good luck

I very much doubt that reading Foxes Talk is high on his priorities right now. 

47 minutes ago, Line-X said:

I very much doubt that reading Foxes Talk is high on his priorities right now. 

You're mistaken, mate. I was just talking to him the other day and he was fuming. Absolutely hates this forum, thinks we're all plebs, but he loves to read it. Like an addict that doesn't know whats good for him.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gurru991 said:

It certainly was !l

He had a decent eye for talent but no motivational skills.

I wish him well in France.

He certainly had more than a decent eye for talent. He has a much better eye than Rogers has, and that's something that worries me.

For instance, BR wants to bring Jordan Ibe here. I don't know Ibe myself so I can't comment, But he didn't make it at Pool and can't make an impact at Borunemouth, Yet he thinks he's good enough for us.

We already have a hit and miss winger in Gray, we don't need another.

He should have brought in James who Puel was tracking but he went to Utd. He would have been perfect for us.

4 hours ago, foxer said:

Hopefully he's learnt from his time with us. Very decent manager in some respects. Appalling in others! Wish him all the best 

.... that was the problem!! 

He never learnt from his time with Southampton and repeated the process with us. A lot on FT would have been willing to give him more time, had he shown any inclination to adapt. He is what he is, and he will repeat the same dogmatic tedious process where ever he goes!! 

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

He certainly had more than a decent eye for talent. He has a much better eye than Rogers has, and that's something that worries me.

For instance, BR wants to bring Jordan Ibe here. I don't know Ibe myself so I can't comment, But he didn't make it at Pool and can't make an impact at Borunemouth, Yet he thinks he's good enough for us.

He should have brought in James who Puel was tracking but he went to Utd. He would have been perfect for us.

Its been said before but Puel would probably make a great DOF. 

I agree with you that Brendan shouldn't be in charge of recruitment.

• Like 3

Hope he does well. He built a great squad here and really cleared up the mess left behind by Shakespeare. He was done in by his negative tactics and dour demeanour, but still wish him the best in a league where maybe his tactics wont be so important, he can continue to develop young players, and his communciations issues might not be so apparent.

3 minutes ago, jim5000 said:

Hope he does well. He built a great squad here and really cleared up the mess left behind by Shakespeare. He was done in by his negative tactics and dour demeanour, but still wish him the best in a league where maybe his tactics wont be so important, he can continue to develop young players, and his communciations issues might not be so apparent.

His only problem was the Language. He is a good Coach and certainly can pick a player. Your right after Shakspear's mess and the tragic crash he had a lot to deal with.

He was even hampered by the Poor signings he inherited.

As Guru has said the Club should have offered him DIF and put him  in charge of the junior teams from the 23s down. Now that would have been exciting.

On signings BR doesn't even come close.

Agree he could be a great DoF, but we seem to be signing some great players recently. Not sure what the setup is behind the scenes and how much influence on signings the manager has, but recruitment over the past few years has been great.

Ricardo - Genuinely could be playing for Real Madrid or Juventus and I wouldn't blink an eye

Calgar - Identified a year before we needed him, given time to aclimatise to the UK before slotting seamlessly in

Tielemans - Maybe isn't quite showing his full potential this year but the class and quality is undoubtable

Praet - Seems to slot in and provide class and control. Again, wouldn't bat an eyelid in suprise if he was playing for a traditional top european club.

Maddison - Great creative player, plucked from the Championship before the big clubs got a sniff and we are likely to make significant money if he does leave inside his contract.

On top of this, we are blooding great young players from Leicester and the surrounding areas

Chilwell - Rose up slowly from the ranks but is now and England left back

Barnes - Seems to be taking his chance and has ability in bags

Choudry - Again, has waited for his chance but has played himself from the youth team into contention as a first team starter, especially when we play the big teams

Apart from Kante, Marhez, and Maguire, we've kept hold our core of seasoned players - Schmeichel , Albrighton, Vardy, and Albrighton, and added one of the leagues best centre backs for a pitance in Evans.

We had a lot of mistakes in recruitment after we won the league. We lost direction to a degree. But whatever is going on in recruitment and DOF fuctions in the club, it is working.

We're 3rd in the league and genuienly seens as top 4 contenders and a big threat to Liverpool tomorrow. Vichai said that was his aim when he bought us shortly after promotion to the championship, and every, including us, laughted and said it was impossible. But here we are less than a decade later stable in the top half of the PL, pressing for european football with a league title and champions league football behind us, a great squad that is the envy of traditional top 6 clubs, and one of the best run clubs in the country.

Im not so certain that we need a new DoF right now.

Edited by jim5000

1 hour ago, sacreblueits442 said:

He never learnt from his time with Southampton and repeated the process with us. A lot on FT would have been willing to give him more time, had he shown any inclination to adapt. He is what he is, and he will repeat the same dogmatic tedious process where ever he goes!! 

Correct. That was one of my biggest frustrations with him, he wasn't willing to learn and adapt.

He frustrated the hell out of the players and staff with his methods - it was his way and his way only.

The better bosses, certainly in the modern era, are good listeners and smarter man managers.

1 hour ago, Clever Fox said:

1 hour ago, gurru991 said:

Its been said before but Puel would probably make a great DOF. 

I agree with you that Brendan shouldn't be in charge of recruitment.

Has Puel got a decent eye for talent? The signings while he was in charge were more hit than miss I agree but the recruitment is a collective thing from what I gather. The manager says what type of player he needs, the recruitment/scouting team look for players and crunch the stats, the manager and DoF then discuss the financial possibilities for each potential signing. The manager usually gets his way but can be overruled. (Ranieri desperately wanted Mendy but Walsh snr et al wore him down to get Kante.) Therefore I doubt Rodgers is directly in charge of transfers. I don't think managers have quite the same role as they used to when wanting players in/out.

Has Rodgers publicly said he wants Ibe? Maybe he sees something in him he can work on. Sometimes a player needs the right manager/environment to flourish.

Do we know that we were definitely tracking Daniel James? To be fair I'm sure most clubs of our size and above were.
(PS I'm told he did all the photos/media stuff at Leeds, ready to be announced, and then the plug was pulled.)

1 hour ago, Clever Fox said:

His only problem was the Language. He is a good Coach and certainly can pick a player. Your right after Shakspear's mess and the tragic crash he had a lot to deal with.

He was even hampered by the Poor signings he inherited.

As Guru has said the Club should have offered him DoF and put him  in charge of the junior teams from the 23s down. Now that would have been exciting.

"His only problem was the language."
Oh come on. Even the most ardent, blinkered Puelites (or whatever the word is) would surely admit that was far from his only problem.

"He's a good coach."

Really? The players didn't enjoy his coaching methods and the dull, repetitive training which he stuck rigidly to. He didn't care about getting the players 'onside' which was down to his stubbornness. 

"the Club should have offered him DoF and put him  in charge of the junior teams from the 23s down. Now that would have been exciting."

It really wouldn't have been. There didn't appear to be much warmth towards Puel from the younger first team players nor the academy kids about him. He's not a "people's person" or decent man-manager. There aren't many who would've run through walls for him. We are well rid of him.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1