Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MPH

Liverpool 2 Leicester 1 post match thread

14 hours ago, Unabomber said:

Why are you posting that you weirdo 

for you to see that the system is bent
so many years ago the system made sure that Liverpool would not win the championship anymore, and even made Utd a super team. now with pressure from UEFA they want to stop City, helping Liverpool

19 hours ago, Blue ROI said:

Not sure why New Balance are sour about potentially losing the Liverpool contract.

The front 3 are hardly the ideal ambassadors for the brand.:P

Funny, but harsh on Firmino, I like Firmino. I've not seen him dive.

Edited by Facecloth
  • Like 1

Difficult game. We are improving I feel, against tough opposition.

Ill informed observations

• Liverpool, like Tottenham used to do, are the masters of micro foul/infringements.
  • I am utterly bewildered how Trent did not get a yellow for his tackle on Youri, even after VAR reviewed it.
  • So Salah clearly shoved Caglar, but nada - whys that then?
  • Perez high foot to bowed head - foul - ok ref..
  • We didn't fight enough in the first half

Like the last few posts I've calmed down now and we just have to move on.

The key to our season is not whether we got 1 point or not at Liverpool it is whether we can gather points in our next 3 matches i.e. Burnley, Southampton, and Palace.

We've played a third of the fixtures against the so called big 6 already with less than a quarter of the season gone so we've probably had a tougher start than a lot of our rivals. Despite that we're two points off second and right in the mix and I believe the nature of our defeat on Saturday will spur the team on.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

So then, what's everyone's take now after a day or two to calm down? The penalty was soft, I really wish Albrighton had just cleared it rather than taking that touch that put him in the situation that Mane could simulate contact and give the ref the opportunity to award a penalty. I am not as outraged as most regarding VAR's failure to overturn it, the current process is fairly obvious that they will only overturn clear and obvious dives or where they can prove something has happened i.e. offsides/hand balls even when there is still some subjectiveness to them. I think the problem lies with the referees not using the option of checking the monitor themselves, if this was the norm then the process could be that the assistant checks and makes a suggestion that the referee has another look and then then ref can decide if he's happy with his first decision. VAR is never going to get every decision right, anyone who thinks it can or should is going to be a very disillusioned football fan for the rest of their lives.

On to our performance, we did ok. I am still not 100% happy about how little we created, it's the hardest away fixture of the season but it's a common theme this season away from home. We barely create anything, Vardy was once again a ghost and the odd time he was set free the sharpness wasn't there due to not being involved enough prior to that. The chance Barnes created for him in the first half would have been dispatched in a home game playing 4-1-4-1 where he's alive. Very frustrating and this surely has to concern Rodgers, if it doesn't then he's pig ignorant.

Praet was superb again for us, he at times was getting the ball and I thought it was Barnes, which i'm not sure what that tells us about the formation or Barnes lack of movement on Saturday? It was a tough game for a lot of our players but Praet revelled, likewise Soyuncu who was dominant, classy and the bollocks. He overshadowed Jonny Evans who did seem tested to the maximum, Soyuncu's pace will allow him the ability to face any opposition and not worry too much, with him as always the danger is staying focused for 95+ minutes and resisting shoves and challenges in precarious areas. I thought he'd given another penalty away on Salah but thankfully it occurred outside of the box.

Tielemans looked much sharper on the ball, he opened Liverpool up 3 times in short succession in the 1st half with probing forward passes for Chilwell to get in behind and every time it appeared Ben had webbed feet. Heinous ability under pressure to get telling crosses in.

Maddison's quick feet continue to mesmerise me, this is something he has improved no end. He was once again fairly quiet by his standards when deployed on the wing but he was much busier and involved when he moved centrally, Perez's assist was sublime and hopefully Ayoze is playing himself in to a bit of form. Two assists in 2 games for him, now just needs a goal and he's up and away.

I though Schmeichel had his best game of the season for us, he made a number of solid saves and his distribution was good against a team who are notorious for trying to unsettle that phase of play.

Overall we can't be too disappointed with a narrow defeat at Anfield, it's obviously the manner in which it happened that hurts like hell. I think that will spur us on in the coming weeks though, we are still in fine fettle and very handily placed to march on to a top 6 challenge this season. We are still a massive work in progress and there are weaknesses in how we tackle away games and a lack of chances, Vardy who's record against the top clubs is phenomenal and yet in these games of late he has been completely snuffed out. Our wide areas are our weakness, coupled with Chilwell's complete inability to offer any reliability down that side, this is why playing either a diamond or Maddison on the wing is like tying one arm behind our back. Plenty to still work on, but when we are in our strongest system and we move well, we are up there with the best in this division.

Fair summary that.

We tried to impose ourselves and didn't lack for effort but Liverpool were fairly alert to or play and had cover any time we had someone on the ball.  We played well enough in defence and midfield. Certainly better than any top 6 game since 2016 bar 1 or 2 exceptions. It's just the attack was the difference. Vardy's impact was minimal. The chances created tells its own story. Fine when Vardy is on song but lack of alternative stifles us. It's imperative we sort this out in January.

When we kept it at 1-0 after the third quarter we started to realise it was there for us. We were marvellous in the build up to the goal. Would have been some result. Not since November 2017 has a team gone to Anfield twice and got a result. We got under their skin and no mistaking.

A point would have been a real boost to the squad but we will be buoyed up and now fired up after Saturday. So far we've got results against the teams at the bottom end that scuppered us every once in a while the last few seaons. Top 6 is still very much a possibility.

Edited by Blue ROI

20 minutes ago, Blue ROI said:

Fair summary that.

We tried to impose ourselves and didn't lack for effort but Liverpool were fairly alert to or play and had cover any time we had someone on the ball.  We played well enough in defence and midfield. Certainly better than any top 6 game since 2016 bar 1 or 2 exceptions. It's just the attack was the difference. Vardy's impact was minimal. The chances created tells its own story. Fine when Vardy is on song but lack of alternative stifles us. It's imperative we sort this out in January.

When we kept it at 1-0 after the third quarter we started to realise it was there for us. We were marvellous in the build up to the goal. Would have been some result. Not since November 2017 has a team gone to Anfield twice and got a result. We got under their skin and no mistaking.

A point would have been a real boost to the squad but we will be buoyed up and now fired up after Saturday. So far we've got results against the teams at the bottom end that scuppered us every once in a while the last few seaons. Top 6 is still very much a possibility.

I work with a few Liverpool fans and even they said it was not a penalty and that we were robbed 

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

So then, what's everyone's take now after a day or two to calm down? The penalty was soft, I really wish Albrighton had just cleared it rather than taking that touch that put him in the situation that Mane could simulate contact and give the ref the opportunity to award a penalty. I am not as outraged as most regarding VAR's failure to overturn it, the current process is fairly obvious that they will only overturn clear and obvious dives or where they can prove something has happened i.e. offsides/hand balls even when there is still some subjectiveness to them. I think the problem lies with the referees not using the option of checking the monitor themselves, if this was the norm then the process could be that the assistant checks and makes a suggestion that the referee has another look and then then ref can decide if he's happy with his first decision. VAR is never going to get every decision right, anyone who thinks it can or should is going to be a very disillusioned football fan for the rest of their lives.

On to our performance, we did ok. I am still not 100% happy about how little we created, it's the hardest away fixture of the season but it's a common theme this season away from home. We barely create anything, Vardy was once again a ghost and the odd time he was set free the sharpness wasn't there due to not being involved enough prior to that. The chance Barnes created for him in the first half would have been dispatched in a home game playing 4-1-4-1 where he's alive. Very frustrating and this surely has to concern Rodgers, if it doesn't then he's pig ignorant.

Praet was superb again for us, he at times was getting the ball and I thought it was Barnes, which i'm not sure what that tells us about the formation or Barnes lack of movement on Saturday? It was a tough game for a lot of our players but Praet revelled, likewise Soyuncu who was dominant, classy and the bollocks. He overshadowed Jonny Evans who did seem tested to the maximum, Soyuncu's pace will allow him the ability to face any opposition and not worry too much, with him as always the danger is staying focused for 95+ minutes and resisting shoves and challenges in precarious areas. I thought he'd given another penalty away on Salah but thankfully it occurred outside of the box.

Tielemans looked much sharper on the ball, he opened Liverpool up 3 times in short succession in the 1st half with probing forward passes for Chilwell to get in behind and every time it appeared Ben had webbed feet. Heinous ability under pressure to get telling crosses in.

Maddison's quick feet continue to mesmerise me, this is something he has improved no end. He was once again fairly quiet by his standards when deployed on the wing but he was much busier and involved when he moved centrally, Perez's assist was sublime and hopefully Ayoze is playing himself in to a bit of form. Two assists in 2 games for him, now just needs a goal and he's up and away.

I though Schmeichel had his best game of the season for us, he made a number of solid saves and his distribution was good against a team who are notorious for trying to unsettle that phase of play.

Overall we can't be too disappointed with a narrow defeat at Anfield, it's obviously the manner in which it happened that hurts like hell. I think that will spur us on in the coming weeks though, we are still in fine fettle and very handily placed to march on to a top 6 challenge this season. We are still a massive work in progress and there are weaknesses in how we tackle away games and a lack of chances, Vardy who's record against the top clubs is phenomenal and yet in these games of late he has been completely snuffed out. Our wide areas are our weakness, coupled with Chilwell's complete inability to offer any reliability down that side, this is why playing either a diamond or Maddison on the wing is like tying one arm behind our back. Plenty to still work on, but when we are in our strongest system and we move well, we are up there with the best in this division.

The problem we have is how are we gonna incorporate Praet, Maddison and Tielemans into the same team.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Koke said:

The problem we have is how are we gonna incorporate Praet, Maddison and Tielemans into the same team.

Maddison is as safe as houses.  He's still the best of the 3 so far this season.

It's Tielemans who could be at risk. Having been dropped from Monaco and Praet showing up very well he'll be looking over his shoulder.

3 minutes ago, Koke said:

Yeah, this is now a similar problem to what Rodgers faced when he had Choudhury and Ndidi both playing exemplary and ended up playing them both to our detriment going forward. Although we might not be quite as limited playing these 3 together, we are still nowhere near as potent when we have genuine width to stretch the opposition and although Maddison and Tielemans to get Vardy in. I think Tielemans and Praet will be vying for the central role alongside Maddison, it's a good position to be in right now as long as Rodgers makes the right call. We simply have to play 4-1-4-1 in the short term as otherwise Vardy might as well not play.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Paddy. said:

Can't wait for the home game. Would love us to derail their title bid.

Would be good for Big Cag to crunch a Mane and get him out and Hamza to go through Salah again putting him out for a few weeks, which in turn means they lose a few games and lose the title. 

Cheating cūnts.

• Like 1

Thought i was over it until I saw my Liverpool supporting friend at work... to his credit he took the abuse and largely agreed with me, and said they were lucky and it should have been a draw.

Re. the Praet/Tielemans/Maddison dilemma - for me this is exactly the situation we need in order to progress. Whilst it's a headache now, when we are (hopefully) playing in Europe next season we will be so grateful of being able to rotate. Next challenge is to find a suitable understudy to Vards. 

• Like 1

It's an awful way to lose but there are positives. We played, strangely without width, against the best in Europe and took them to the wire. I felt Cags came of age keeping Salah relatively quiet. I honestly prefer him to Maguire now. Ndidi had a strangely quiet match and I would have preferred Hamza in addition to stamp some authority over the midfield but fair play to Praet - he had some great attacking moments. It was great to see Tielemans getting stuck in too. Chilwell was probably the most sketchy but there's some truth to the argument that without a defensively minded winger in front of him - and that's not Barnes or Maddison - he's too preoccupied with covering a counter attack than making sensible attacking decisions. He's been a bit shakey since Barnes and Maddison started playing in front of him and I don't think that's a coincidence.

1 hour ago, browniefox said:

Would be good for Big Cag to crunch a Mane and get him out and Hamza to go through Salah again putting him out for a few weeks, which in turn means they lose a few games and lose the title. 

Cheating cūnts.

Nice to see you're not at all bitter. 

• Haha 1

Chelsea, Liverpool, Man U away and Tottenham at home. Not many teams can have those in their first 8 and end up 4th in the table. It was a rough one to take but I think we’re going to be a serious force for the rest of the season. We won’t need much motivation for the home fixture, we’ll want to do a job on them.

I think we need to calm down over the penalty now, was it a bit of dive? Aye, but Albrighton shouldn't have given him the opportunity especially so late in the game. We've had the rub of the green with VAR this season, only a matter of time before it came back on us. Think we can be proud, we've given them a game and rightly feel aggrieved, we're showing great progress and I'm so happy we went for it, I was convinced the ndidi Hamza double pivot was guaranteed. End of the day,this wasnt important in the scheme of things, 4 point from 3 of the top 6 youd have taken that start of season. But these games coming up are so much more important, if we are to challenge for champo, we need to be able to beat Burnley beat the palace voodoo and keep the momentum. 

33 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

I think we need to calm down over the penalty now, was it a bit of dive? Aye, but Albrighton shouldn't have given him the opportunity especially so late in the game. We've had the rub of the green with VAR this season, only a matter of time before it came back on us. Think we can be proud, we've given them a game and rightly feel aggrieved, we're showing great progress and I'm so happy we went for it, I was convinced the ndidi Hamza double pivot was guaranteed. End of the day,this wasnt important in the scheme of things, 4 point from 3 of the top 6 youd have taken that start of season. But these games coming up are so much more important, if we are to challenge for champo, we need to be able to beat Burnley beat the palace voodoo and keep the momentum. 

Over the season VAR will win a few loose a few so why bother with it unless it is going to give the correct descion. All people want is consistancy from the officials, VAR is not the problem it it those making the descisions, mainly poor ones. The FA needs to take all the data at the end of the season and adjust the rules accodingly, we need a level playing field not one that favours certain teams.

4 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Good summary Ric, I think the solution to our problems away from home is to stick with our 4-1-4-1 system, regardless of opposition. As good as Tielemans, Praet and Maddison are we can’t shoehorn them into the side. One of them has to sit on the bench unfortunately. However, all 3 have different attributes so maybe we can rotate them on a semi regular basis, depending on the opposition. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dorkingfox said:

Over the season VAR will win a few loose a few so why bother with it unless it is going to give the correct descion. All people want is consistancy from the officials, VAR is not the problem it it those making the descisions, mainly poor ones. The FA needs to take all the data at the end of the season and adjust the rules accodingly, we need a level playing field not one that favours certain teams.

I'm no fan of VAR, but it wasnt overturned because it was not an obvious error, I dont feel like it wasnt consistent tbh 

• Like 2