Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MPH

Liverpool 2 Leicester 1 post match thread

27 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Why did var not flag up the mane dive? Really struggling with this one 

Because VAR has not over-turned one penalty decision this season. Due to high threshold of ‘clear and obvious’ I.e. the ref is always correct.

I keep reading about the Mané dive but the tackle on Tielemans which VAR reviews for a red card, but doesn’t even give a yellow?! Salah  blatantly pushed Soyuncu in the back before Hamza had to step in?! They were falling over at every chance and played the referee big time.

having calmed down and watched the whole match back, although we weren’t at our best, we held our own despite that and really caused them to try and hang on in that second half.

proud of the lads and I’m sure they’ll come back more determined than ever to get back to winning ways against Burnley.

Chilwell looked to have the worst game I’ve seen him play in ages. 
Gutted but lots of positives to be taken from giving the reigning European champs and most in form team in the league, a tough test.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Clever Fox said:

Sadly it was another Utd type performance from us today. Liverpool were better than us in every department. We just got luck with the draw an unlucky with the penalty.

It was a penalty even if it was a soft one. Rogers tactics were poor from the start and yet once again he failed to effect the game by his tactics.

He stiffed the team by not using players in their best positions, Even though it was never going to be easy.

That's 6 points he's cost us already. I expected more from him.

Not a lot to say to this total load of tosh really!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, holyfox said:

I keep reading about the Mané dive but the tackle on Tielemans which VAR reviews for a red card, but doesn’t even give a yellow?!

The rules don’t allow VAR to give a yellow card, it’s red or nothing 

the only one who can give yellows is the on-field ref 

1 hour ago, holyfox said:

I keep reading about the Mané dive but the tackle on Tielemans which VAR reviews for a red card, but doesn’t even give a yellow?! Salah  blatantly pushed Soyuncu in the back before Hamza had to step in?! They were falling over at every chance and played the referee big time.

having calmed down and watched the whole match back, although we weren’t at our best, we held our own despite that and really caused them to try and hang on in that second half.

proud of the lads and I’m sure they’ll come back more determined than ever to get back to winning ways against Burnley.

Gutted but lots of positives to be taken from giving the reigning European champs and most in form team in the league, a tough test.

Same. Still gutted. Deserved a draw and we had more of the ball than Liverpool did in thr later part of the game.

Mane clearly dived. He does dive like like quite a bit (I do watch Liverpool some times). That touch by Albrighton in any event should not be sufficient to be called a penalty anyway. But VAR could not overturn decision because he did touch him and the rest is more subjective about whether Mane dived so it was difficult for VAR to overturn the ref.

Gutted.

Though I remain more gutted about not taking our fight against Man Utd when they were there for the taking a few weeks ago.

Guest Eamonn
8 hours ago, Pliskin said:

Another disappointing day away. Var will change nothing for the top sides, and Liverpool hardly need a hand. A point would have been nice, but we take what we can from it and move on. We just have to make sure we react properly and beat Burnley, top six finished don’t come away at Liverpool, they do at home against Burnley. 

I wasn't there.  I'm sore about the pen. But yours is a solid post. 3 points v Burnley is worth more than 1 from Anfield.

It's a minor point. But over the course of the game it makes a difference. I just watched a deliberate hand ball by a liverpool player that stopped a line ball to Vardy - should have been a yellow, but wasn't. These sorts of decisions went against us a lot today - another eg is Salah's foul on Soy before the Hamza yellow. If those decisions are consistently one sided you can't win. The penalty was the cherry on the icing of a bent cake.

And the more I see it the worse that penalty looks. 

Edited by trabuch
  • Like 4

Soft pen but it was a pen - truthfully under the circumstances the ref shouldn't have given it but it wasn't going to be overturned.  As we saw in the F.A. Cup last year Albrighton can be prone to panic-driven brain farts late in matches, and no way in hell he should have made that challenge.

It was a credible, workmanlike performance and would have been a great point.  But 18-2 in shots and 8-1 on target?  It's not like they weren't the better team.  Then good thing is even though we lost a point, we didn't give an extra two to anybody we're competing with in the standings.  Take encouragement from it, feel righteous indignation at the ref and move on.

• Like 1

Just watched MOTD this morning and at least it's a small consolidation that the panel are completely unanimous that it wasn't a penalty. 

It's the one that got away.. but I'm proud of our team.

Let's move on......and claim that Top 4 spot.

2 minutes ago, Markyblue said:

Anybody on here who thinks that was a pen wants to give their head a wobble and head to Specsavers. 

Letter of the law there was contact so it was a penalty.

However no referee in the world should be giving those type of decisions  but the FA is corrupt and they are doing everything they can for liverpool to win the league.

How many times did mane boot the ball away without being booked.

Why wasnt Mane booked for diving.

There is so much more that's dodgy from that game.

• Like 2

Guest Markyblue
5 minutes ago, Fox85 said:

Letter of the law there was contact so it was a penalty.

However no referee in the world should be giving those type of decisions  but the FA is corrupt and they are doing everything they can for liverpool to win the league.

How many times did mane boot the ball away without being booked.

Why wasnt Mane booked for diving.

There is so much more that's dodgy from that game.

In that case there would be hundreds of fouls , there is constant contacts like that all over the pitch that are never punished,  the game would be a joke.

Watching it back if theirs is a penalty, then TAA on Tielemans is too. The fact the ball left the field in that instance is irrelevant. Both are accidental contact on the ankle in the penalty area, so both should be treated the same. All VAR did was check for a red on the TAA incident, but again is too weak offer assistance on a subjective incident. Its looked at both of them today and agreed with the ref on both despite it being the same infringement having different outcomes.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, holyfox said:

Said the same in my match ratings, especially annoyed about the flailing elbow and pushing of Salah on Soyuncu just before Choudhury's gentle tackle. The Tieleman's incident was an obvious foul. Not even a free kick. The referee couldn't wait to get the whistle in his mouth for the Albrighton tackle. 

Very pleased BR went with a positive side and I thought we gave as good as we got all game. Very disappointed to have thrown it away, especially as it was one of our most experienced players messing up with seconds left. Marc should know better, hes done this a few times now and he should have learnt refs are only too pleased to get a name for themselves and a blow happy referee like yesterday was itching to do that. Klopp should have more class (and some new glasses) than to criticize Hamzy, especially after Salah had just elbowed Soyuncu to start his run, which no-one in the media seems to have picked up. We were never out the game and very unlucky not to go on and win it. Liverpool were hanging on after we scored. The lack of players to take responsibility up front was poor yesterday.

• Like 1

I really hope Man city win the league but think Liverpool will win it now. It was a penalty but they getting these lucky breaks which make the difference in the sense than Albrighton should have done better and likewise with the Henderson's howler for Sheff Utd. 

5 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Watching it back if theirs is a penalty, then TAA on Tielemans is too. The fact the ball left the field in that instance is irrelevant. Both are accidental contact on the ankle in the penalty area, so both should be treated the same. All VAR did was check for a red on the TAA incident, but again is too weak offer assistance on a subjective incident. Its looked at both of them today and agreed with the ref on both despite it being the same infringement having different outcomes.

With YT, the ball is out of play when the contact is made with his ankle. Therefore it’s either a red card or nothing. Var cannot decide to award a yellow (unless mistaken identity or a red has already been issued and needs to be changed to yellow). 

I’m also surprised that so many seem to think that the contact at the end is worthy of a pen. If mane went down straight away he could argue that Marc took his standing foot but he didn’t go down straight away. And he wasn’t travelling at any speed so the small contact wouldn’t have knocked him off balance. It was a delayed reaction to some contact which should never result in a pen.  But once the ref has made a subjective call to give it, the var isn’t going to overturn ........... its the ultimate soft pen and they shouldn’t be given in added time when decisive (when var is there to rectify clear and obvious errors)

Edited by st albans fox

‘Morning after’ reflections on yesterday:

1) We were second best to Liverpool for most of the game. Their passing and movement was much slicker and accurate than ours. We gave the ball away far too cheaply (especially Chilwell, who did it constantly).

2) We defended well, stayed in the game and got the reward of an unlikely equaliser with our first shot on target.

3) Liverpool were rattled and desperate at the end. Albrighton’s brain freeze and Mane’s cheating allowed the biased ref to get them out of jail.

4) Jurgen Klopp is not just a weirdo - he is malicious and obnoxious and needs someone to take him down a peg or two (preferably with some damage to those horrible pearly white teeth).

5) The agony of this defeat will make us stronger.

3 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

With YT, the ball is out in play when the contact is made with his ankle. Therefore it’s either a red card or nothing. Var cannot decide to award a yellow (unless mistaken identity or a red has already been issued and needs to be changed to yellow). 

Yup.  Again - don't blame VAR for something it's not able to impact.  Blame the referee for not giving a yellow - which is what that should have been (it wasn't a straight red, certainly).  And it wasn't a penalty either way.

• Like 1

Both Youri and Vardy took hefty off the ball challenges yesterday's. Vardy got wrestled to the ground just as we were about to play the ball out of defence to him. 

If Klopp wants red cards for off ball challenges. He'd have lost two players yesterday. 

Hamza's was late, but it wasn't 'off the ball' as in Vardy's where the ball was in a different half.

Edited by Foxhateram