Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
happy85

Ben Chilwell

Guest An Sionnach
25 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

There is a good young english left back... that is being looked at by Man U, Livrpool, Man city and Chelsea.... 

There is only one English defender period , of the highest class and that is Trent Alexander Arnold. The days of Terry, Ferdinand and Cole are long gone. Which ever side of this argument you are on Chilwell is at best controversial. We have four fifths of a high class defence and we are doing well. Yes we can carry him until hopefully he reaches the standard of the others but he cannot escape criticism if he plays poorly. Surely he must know that he is not producing the goods and it is up to him to work and work until we , on this thread , have nothing much to really talk about.

He seems to have this reputation as a brilliant attacking left-back but I’m not so sure. 

He’s athletic, but if denied space (like against Villa) he doesn’t yet seem to have the confidence to get past his man - and his crossing from deep is mostly dreadful.

I feel he would benefit from playing behind the same player for a while though. Needs to build a relationship with one of the wingers. 

• Like 2

I wish people  would stop spouting about him being Englands first choice left back like it’s a given that it  makes him awesome. Don’t get me wrong he’s not terrible but he’s not exactly got much competition.  Shaw who is overweight or  injured . Ashley Young who is past it and not a left back by trade . Or Danny bloody Rose  say no more .  He was poor up to the Southampton game then once he scored seem to get confidence and had a run of good form . Then since December his form has dropped again . The guy just needs to get his finger out no need to get rid of him but he does need some healthy competition instead of Fuchs someone to actually challenge  him for his spot and not just play back up 

Edited by baldeagle
  • Like 1

For me his technical ability is only average, but his willingness to want to run forward and get it forward meant I accepted him as been our first choice, now he has stopped doing that, he is a player I wouldnt mind us losing.

I cannot believe some are saying he is in the same class as Ricardo.

Edited by Chrysalis

25 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

For me his technical ability is only average, but his willingness to want to run forward and get it forward meant I accepted him as been our first choice, now he has stopped doing that, he is a player I wouldnt mind us losing.

I cannot believe some are saying he is in the same class as Ricardo.

Ricardo is a different level with all due respect to chilwell. 

However, chilwell needs to improve big time. He used to glide past players when at full speed and could be a real threat, we just never hardly see him do that now and really not sure why

On 10/01/2020 at 07:45, shailen said:

Can anyone name a better all round LB then Robertson in the PL who we should go after to replace Chilwell, since he is that poor? 

This is exactly why he’s left back for England,

because we’re so poor in that position,

not because chillwell is great,

and like someone else said that when Ricardo is 3rd choice for Portugal yet chillwell is first choice for England it really does show how poor we are in that position 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Russell sprout said:

This is exactly why he’s left back for England,

because we’re so poor in that position,

not because chillwell is great,

and like someone else said that when Ricardo is 3rd choice for Portugal yet chillwell is first choice for England it really does show how poor we are in that position 

Fair point but has there been an outright better LB than him for England since Ashley Cole? Don't rate Danny Rose above him. 

And after Robertson he is the best in the Premier league imo. For someone who is 22 and already at that level, there can be no question marks about him. He sti has to improve parts of his game no doubt, but he is already amongst the best in the league. 

Guest An Sionnach
4 minutes ago, shailen said:

Fair point but has there been an outright better LB than him for England since Ashley Cole? Don't rate Danny Rose above him. 

And after Robertson he is the best in the Premier league imo. For someone who is 22 and already at that level, there can be no question marks about him. He sti has to improve parts of his game no doubt, but he is already amongst the best in the league. 

He is 23 actually and in some ways he is a victim of this clubs poor record of not blooding young players early enough. He could have had 150 appearances by now and ironed out his only to evident flaws. I wonder how many talks he has had with Rodgers recently about his form. He is pretty safe because of Fuch's age but we need to see him back in decent form soon and then this thread will turn a lot more positive.

6 minutes ago, shailen said:

He sti has to improve parts of his game no doubt, but he is already amongst the best in the league. 

🤦‍♂️That’s the point I’m Making,

the fact that some see him as amongst the best in the league isn’t because he is as you say the best in the league,

but simply because as a nation we’re so poor in that position,

i have said time and time again chillwell is poor defensively and often leaves us exposed,

yes he gets forward but his end product is shocking and even when in good positions he then passes backwards,

In contrast to Ricardo who defends well,

turns defence into attack,
can take players on,can cross a ball and also score,

there chalk and cheese,

the team is doing well so chillwell is being made to look good when in my opinion he the weak link and he’s holding us back,

and he is my only criticism of Brendon Rodgers,what he see’s what the rest of us don’t I do not know.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, leicesterseddon said:

He seems to have this reputation as a brilliant attacking left-back but I’m not so sure. 

He’s athletic, but if denied space (like against Villa) he doesn’t yet seem to have the confidence to get past his man - and his crossing from deep is mostly dreadful.

I feel he would benefit from playing behind the same player for a while though. Needs to build a relationship with one of the wingers. 

I think that's a fair assessment. He appears to play better for England when behind Sterling or other players. Riccardo is better (and is a bit older with more experience) but usually has had someone in front of him to offer some protection also. Chilwell has had Barnes or Maddison when he's played in his least effective role by Rodgers. He'll improve I feel but agree that he needs a regular reliable partner in front of him. 

6 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

He is 23 actually and in some ways he is a victim of this clubs poor record of not blooding young players early enough. He could have had 150 appearances by now and ironed out his only to evident flaws. I wonder how many talks he has had with Rodgers recently about his form. He is pretty safe because of Fuch's age but we need to see him back in decent form soon and then this thread will turn a lot more positive.

Who would be an obvious replacement for Chilwell who would improve us? I can't think of anyone realistically that we could get. As for weaknesses in his game, we can't be asking him to get up and down all game if he doesn't get any help. His energy and stamina are phenomenal to do this role but I agree he needs to improve his concentration at times. 

Nevertheless, if Man City, Man utd, Chelsea and Liverpool have all been linked with him in the past, he must be doing more right than wrong. 

3 minutes ago, Russell sprout said:

🤦‍♂️That’s the point I’m Making,

the fact that some see him as amongst the best in the league isn’t because he is as you say the best in the league,

but simply because as a nation we’re so poor in that position,

i have said time and time again chillwell is poor defensively and often leaves us exposed,

yes he gets forward but his end product is shocking and even when in good positions he then passes backwards,

In contrast to Ricardo who defends well,

turns defence into attack,
can take players on,can cross a ball and also score,

there chalk and cheese,

the team is doing well so chillwell is being made to look good when in my opinion he the weak link and he’s holding us back,

and he is my only criticism of Brendon Rodgers,what he see’s what the rest of us don’t I do not know.

Well the premier league has LBs of all nationalities, so except for Robertson who is better in the league, if he is an obvious weak link?

Ricardo is phenomenal no doubt, but its not like he hasn't made mistakes in the past. Seems like people are waiting for Chilwell to have a poor game and scapegoat him. 

Just now, shailen said:

Who would be an obvious replacement for Chilwell who would improve us? I can't think of anyone realistically that we could get. As for weaknesses in his game, we can't be asking him to get up and down all game if he doesn't get any help. His energy and stamina are phenomenal to do this role but I agree he needs to improve his concentration at times. 

Nevertheless, if Man City, Man utd, Chelsea and Liverpool have all been linked with him in the past, he must be doing more right than wrong. 

Well the premier league has LBs of all nationalities, so except for Robertson who is better in the league, if he is an obvious weak link?

Ricardo is phenomenal no doubt, but its not like he hasn't made mistakes in the past. Seems like people are waiting for Chilwell to have a poor game and scapegoat him. 

Chillwell only has himself to blame,

he’s no being made a scapegoat at all,

he’s just simply overrated and not as good as you think,

he’s playing in probably the best ever Leicester city team he’ll ever play in yet cannot up his game,

you say he’s made a scapegoat,

the reason He gets away with it is because as I said the team is winning so his performance isn’t as much of a talking point,

when we lose or draw he doesn’t get away with it as easily,

I am not just looking for someone to blame it’s because he is to blame,simple as that 

On 10/01/2020 at 08:33, An Sionnach said:

There is only one English defender period , of the highest class and that is Trent Alexander Arnold. The days of Terry, Ferdinand and Cole are long gone. Which ever side of this argument you are on Chilwell is at best controversial. We have four fifths of a high class defence and we are doing well. Yes we can carry him until hopefully he reaches the standard of the others but he cannot escape criticism if he plays poorly. Surely he must know that he is not producing the goods and it is up to him to work and work until we , on this thread , have nothing much to really talk about.

Trent is top class but he's not a defender, and i doubt he'd be half the player he is if he wasn't playing in that system. 

On 09/01/2020 at 18:31, Jimmy said:

what does not being good on his right foot have to do with getting to the by line and drilling a cross? he doesn't do it because he doesn't have a wingers instinct, Ricardo does, Albrighton and Gray do but neither Barnes nor Chilwell do?

His crossing is fine for England as they have good movement and get more than the striker into the box

Sorry wasn't clear. I was referring more to when he stops and turns back. I think if he was stronger on his right foot he would also have more options to drive infield rather than just going down the line.Still would like to see him get to the byline more. He can be pretty good when running at defences. Maybe as you say he lacks the natural instinct.