Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest Eamonn

"Whisper it but Leicester City aren’t a good attacking side…"

This has already been discussed in another thread, basically the only stat that matters is played 8, 14 points, 14 goals and 4th in the league.

Sometimes stats are over used and don’t paint a complete picture, more the story the author wants to tell.

I use a lot of data on a daily basis and I don’t think anything here looks very deeply at the situation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I think we do have work to do in the attacking department but it fails to mention that 50% of our games so far have come against last seasons top 6 sides and another game was against the team that finished 7th. Granted the other 3 were against Sheff united, Newcastle and Bournemouth but I felt we were brilliant (apart from the sheff united game) in those games. Its like people who like to talk about possession stats. It's all pretty pointless if you ain't scoring and winning games. I couldn't give a shit if we have 1 shot on target against Burnley and win 1-0. Of course I want us to play well and score goals but winning is the most important thing. 

• Like 3

I can't argue with any of that. I don't think we've been all that great to be honest, I think we're a good, but not entertaining to watch side. That article adds some method into the madness. The main reason is the very obvious insistence on playing Maddison on the wing. I'd be interested to know how our stats are when we've got him in his actual position though.

• Like 1

Total shots is a nonsense way of judging whether a team is good at attacking.

Play Demarai Gray in midfield and he'll probably have twenty shots a game that go out of play.

7 hours ago, Eamonn said:

https://www.football365.com/news/whisper-it-but-leicester-city-arent-a-good-attacking-side

Tomorrow will be a good test of how creative we really are.

It's an ok article, but using our "ranking" in the league on certain stats doesn't actually show much, it can be very misleading in that, for example, 17th might not be very far off from 8th in a given stat, but because each team has to be ranked in order an artificial divide appears that makes 17th look worse than it really is.

It also conveniently forgets that we essentially played defensively solid sides the whole time aside Bournemouth, including 5 teams that finished above us last season. 

• Like 1

It's fair to say that if our attacking stats were better our defensive stats were going to suffer (especially after playing the top sides) and we're looking very solid in that department recently. 

Most managers that go to a new club will say that they have to get the defense sorted before looking at anything else. In reality It's not as if we're dog muck in attack anyway like that article suggests so nothing to worry about really.

Edited by Collymore

We battered a defensive side 5-0 just the other week. That was our first test against these sorts of sides, although fair play to Bruce they didn't come and just sit straight away. 

Our start has included Wolves and three trips to the top 6 (one of which is among the best team in the division). I wouldn't read into it too much.

You can turn any stat you want into a negative or positive. I saw the other day a Manchester City stat man say Otemendi has the best passing success this season which sums up how stats can be turned in your favour, he's not gonna be playing 30 yard balls like Pogba and De Brunye every game is he.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

This has already been discussed in another thread, basically the only stat that matters is played 8, 14 points, 14 goals and 4th in the league.

Sometimes stats are over used and don’t paint a complete picture, more the story the author wants to tell.

I use a lot of data on a daily basis and I don’t think anything here looks very deeply at the situation.

Well said

Leicester City 5-0 Burnley 

Kiss my ass

That's quite an interesting article I think, but of course it doesn't tell the whole story!

The thing about not being able to sustain that level of clinical finishing... normally I would agree but in 15/16 we had similar statistics. Our expected goals weren't that high and we didn't make tons of of chances, but we put them away with frighting efficiency because many were counter attacks and / or the living legend that is Jamie Vardy was on the end of them. Leicester always seem to be able to buck trends in unexpected ways, and I hope we continue to do so!

The next 10 or so games I think will tell us a lot, as it's quite a kind fixture list on paper. Last season when we had such a run we actually dropped tons of points especially at home. But if we fix that, then I think these stats will naturally improve quite a bit.

For me personally I have been very impressed with the team, especially recently. I though we were poor against Wolves. Man U and Newcastle away in the cup, and average against Sheffield United. In the other games I think we've been pretty good with plenty of room for improvement.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

That's quite an interesting article I think, but of course it doesn't tell the whole story!

The thing about not being able to sustain that level of clinical finishing... normally I would agree but in 15/16 we had similar statistics. Our expected goals weren't that high and we didn't make tons of of chances, but we put them away with frighting efficiency because many were counter attacks and / or the living legend that is Jamie Vardy was on the end of them. Leicester always seem to be able to buck trends in unexpected ways, and I hope we continue to do so!

The next 10 or so games I think will tell us a lot, as it's quite a kind fixture list on paper. Last season when we had such a run we actually dropped tons of points especially at home. But if we fix that, then I think these stats will naturally improve quite a bit.

For me personally I have been very impressed with the team, especially recently. I though we were poor against Wolves. Man U and Newcastle away in the cup, and average against Sheffield United. In the other games I think we've been pretty good with plenty of room for improvement.

As a team our expected goals scored (68.4) was pretty much exactly in line with the number of goals we actually scored (68) in 2015/16.

The big difference was in the expected goals conceded where we did much better than the model would suggest.

There are huge mitigating factors for how little we’ve created, mainly Rodgers’ view that our defence needs protecting with a new centre back pairing and the difficulty of the fixtures (on paper). But our results will not be sustained at this level if we don’t create more good quality chances, it’s as simple as that. 

But it’s nice to have the good fortune to be in this position and we have a great chance to capitalise on it over the next 10 games or so.

We've had by far the toughest start of any side in the league.

Who else would have hundreds of shots playing 5 of last season's top 7 in their first 8 games?

This article may have a point if the stats are still like that at new year when everyone's played each other once.

But saying the side who've had the toughest start haven't had the most shots really isn't saying much.

Edited by Sampson

13 hours ago, jayfox26 said:

I think we do have work to do in the attacking department but it fails to mention that 50% of our games so far have come against last seasons top 6 sides and another game was against the team that finished 7th. Granted the other 3 were against Sheff united, Newcastle and Bournemouth but I felt we were brilliant (apart from the sheff united game) in those games. Its like people who like to talk about possession stats. It's all pretty pointless if you ain't scoring and winning games. I couldn't give a shit if we have 1 shot on target against Burnley and win 1-0. Of course I want us to play well and score goals but winning is the most important thing. 

This is bang on. They've gone out of their way to find anomalous stats, without looking at who our opposition was. We have a top defence, despite having taken on Man U, Chelsea, Liverpool (all away from home) and Tottenham? Says we're very good in that department. Attacking stats under par? Well if we spent the entire season playing every game away at Liverpool I might be worried. We haven't really had any "easy" fixtures yet, apart from Newcastle at home, and we destroyed them. Bournemouth at home and Sheff Utd away were among our easier games, and even then, that's two very difficult fixtures we've got through whilst winning. If we'd played Watford at their worst like some teams have, then our stats could have been very different.