Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Dahnsouff

England squad announcement - Euro 2020 qualifiers 07/11

34 minutes ago, Xen said:

Dele Alli has at least had a couple of very good seasons so we know what he's capable of, even if he's not at his best currently.

Compare that to Hudson-Odoi who has been injured AND has played a total of 640 minutes of PL football ever, yet he's more than likely one of the first names on that list.

The squad is trash and even then we won't play our best XI at the same time. Just look at how we favoured Rose/Trippier over Chilwell/TAA for the last internationals as prime example of that.

Alli is a decent player, when he's in form, otherwise he's more a hindrance. He's no where near where he was for some reason or another.

CHO, I don't understand why he's in the senior squad, the guy needs games rather than just being called up. He won't get games anyhow, Rashford is always the sub brought on for the front 3.

Our set up is useless tbh

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Would be cool to see him adopt a similar approach to Rodgers

Pickford

Trent

Stones

Mings

Chillwell

Henderson

Sancho

Ox/Barkley

Maddison/Mount

Sterling

Kane

I thought about this as well, although I'd probably want different players in the squad in order to make it happen.

DHenderson

TAA - Tomori/Gomez - Maguire - Chilwell

JHenderson

Sancho - Maddison - Grealish*/Mount - Sterling

Kane

I'd move Choudhury ahead of Rice as the backup DM, and from an England perspective I'd want Vardy back in ahead of Kane (although from a Leicester perspective I'm more than happy for him to get extra rest...), and Wilson has to be in with a shout as well. If it wasn't for the countless penalties against sloppy defenders from smaller nations then Kane's record would look far, far worse. Strip out the deadwood like Delph and Winks whilst we're at it. Pickford is atrocious and inspires no confidence in his defense whatsoever, so surely he has to get binned at some stage.

* We've got a decent number of good players for those advanced midfield positions, but they're all either injured/lacking fitness (Ox), not in the best form (Alli), or not well favoured by the NT (Grealish, Maddison). There's even an argument for Lundstram to be included based on recent form. The ones who do play (Barkley, CHO) seem to have been picked on very little basis.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Alli is a decent player, when he's in form, otherwise he's more a hindrance. He's no where near where he was for some reason or another.

CHO, I don't understand why he's in the senior squad, the guy needs games rather than just being called up. He won't get games anyhow, Rashford is always the sub brought on for the front 3.

Our set up is useless tbh

I think it’s more of a case of, he’s not currently where people imagined him being. He has shown flashes of brilliance but (I could be wrong) never made it to those levels consistently.

I don’t even know his position. He’s not a 10 for me, he’s not rounded enough to be an 8. Pushed wide he doesn’t have what it takes to play there at the top level either. 

2 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

In all seriousness he hasn't done nearly enough to get in, very few decent contributions in games .  Southgate watched the Everton game where he scored and doesn't think he's ready to be brought back. 

Agreed and Rice has been poor all season too. How on earth does Delph get anywhere near? Teams need to be picked on current form,  not on what they might have done 12/28 months ago or on club or age.

53 minutes ago, Leeds Fox said:

I think it’s more of a case of, he’s not currently where people imagined him being. He has shown flashes of brilliance but (I could be wrong) never made it to those levels consistently.

I don’t even know his position. He’s not a 10 for me, he’s not rounded enough to be an 8. Pushed wide he doesn’t have what it takes to play there at the top level either. 

Good point tbh, maybe he had a purple patch and people thought he'd continue to develop, yet he's gotten worse tbh. Don't think Spurs know how his best position, he isn't a 10 I don't think and 100% not a wide man. Maybe he is an 8, similar to Maddison and Youri, but Spurs don't play the same way or seem to want to use him there

2 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

Agreed and Rice has been poor all season too. How on earth does Delph get anywhere near? Teams need to be picked on current form,  not on what they might have done 12/28 months ago or on club or age.

Rice hasn't been playing well, but as with Dier he was so central to Southgates team he refuses to differ. Delph is a weird one too, he's in and out of the Everton set up as it is.

• Like 2

Hopefully this is our midfield in the near future: 

DM: Choudhury, Henderson

CM: Maddison, Mount, Foden, Grealish

Tbh why can’t that be our midfield now. 

I know Choudhury / Foden aren’t getting games but neither is Barkley. Whats the difference? Both of them are talented enough & Gareth has put Mount / Abraham in the squad after a few PL appearances. 

grealish is the same as maddison in that he doesn't "fit" any of the very rigid holes that southgate wants his players to fit. 

the thing is, if probably our two best central midfielders don't fit the "system", why don't we change the system so they do. but we won't, we'll just keep wheeling out two sitting midfielders like rice and someone forced to play higher up than necessary like the ox or henderson. gonna be great. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Southgate is now saying Grealish is competing with Sancho, Sterling & Hudson-Odoi for a place in the squad :blink:. I know Grealish has been playing on the wing the past couple games but he’s always been a central player. 

"The reality of that is he's up against (Raheem) Sterling, (Marcus) Rashford, (Callum) Hudson-Odoi and (Jadon) Sancho in those wide areas.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/jack-grealish-england-aston-villa-17218289