Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Dahnsouff

England squad announcement - Euro 2020 qualifiers 07/11

At the minute I'd go with the following, difficult to choose a 2nd CB and some of the others are interchangeable depending on form.          

Pickford

TAA Maguire Stones Chilwell

Henderson

Winks         Maddison

Sterling        Kane       Sancho

17 hours ago, FoyleFox said:

Ordinarily agree regarding the club bias for selection and therefore Madders may consider playing for someone else would help his international career but Chillwell and Maguire have been regular choices whilst playing for us.

It doesn't make any sense.

They both struck lucky and got starts due to injuries their performances then made them pretty much undroppable. They got in because of luck, not because Southgate WANTED to give them starts particularly. Even still Southgate still reverts to Rose despite him being not very good and a bit of a t***.

• Like 2

I don't think Maddison will be in the squad, he is going to be one of those named in preliminary squad but miss out. He will be a consequence of Southgate being concerned about the defence and he will go for more 'defensive' midfielders. Winks, Henderson and Oxlade-Chamberlain will start first game at Euros if they're all fit.

9 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

I don't think Maddison will be in the squad, he is going to be one of those named in preliminary squad but miss out. He will be a consequence of Southgate being concerned about the defence and he will go for more 'defensive' midfielders. Winks, Henderson and Oxlade-Chamberlain will start first game at Euros if they're all fit.

Southgate is a pathetic excuse for a manager living off an extremely lucky world cup run against poor teams. Hes digging his own grave by not picking Englands most creative player.

Edited by les-tah
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

I really don't see Henderson, or anyone in the squad, as an international tier defensive midfielder. Hendo doesn't read play like a Ndidi or Fabinho and Rice is kinda poor 

Who's better for the role?

In fact I think I missed your point haha. Looks like you're just saying none of our options in that position are world class :D 

Edited by filbertway
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Who's better for the role?

In fact I think I missed your point haha. Looks like you're just saying none of our options in that position are world class :D 

Yeah was implying we have no one in our squad who I, in my great wisdom, would feel confident playing as the holding mid. 

Rice maybe could develop to be that player, but rn I don't think he's good enough. Henderson just can't play that role. Winks isn't bad at it for less attacking teams, but isn't that solid wall you need against the bigger sides.

On 18/11/2019 at 08:26, ian_marshall said:

Unfortunately we'll never win anything of note until we break this cycle of having a 'Yes Man' in charge who chooses to select players based on their parent club's historical reputation along with the player's history of association with the England youth set-up and not on form/player merit. 

Frustratingly, I think Sam Allardyce would've been the perfect man for this type of role in particular. Then he had to go and spoil it all and get himself sacked under idiotic circumstances.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Yeah was implying we have no one in our squad who I, in my great wisdom, would feel confident playing as the holding mid. 

Rice maybe could develop to be that player, but rn I don't think he's good enough. Henderson just can't play that role. Winks isn't bad at it for less attacking teams, but isn't that solid wall you need against the bigger sides.

Which is why I think he'll end up playing both at least 2 of them because he can't trust one of them to protect the back four.

He might go back to a back 3, but then he has the problem of how to fit attacking wide players into the team.

2 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

Which is why I think he'll end up playing both at least 2 of them because he can't trust one of them to protect the back four.

He might go back to a back 3, but then he has the problem of how to fit attacking wide players into the team.

Issue with the holding two, which we saw in a qualifier in the last set of games, is that they end up sitting so deep in our half and there ends up being a huge gap between the defensive region and our offensive. And the opposition just pressed that space and we had no option but to punt it long, which was cleared up instantly.  

And as you said, with a three back, we lose our option of pacey wingers. I guess we could utilise the likes of Chilwell and TAA more in offensive regions, but we end up dropping a Sancho or Sterling. 

In the midfield 3; Winks, Rice and Henderson seem to do the same job, particularly the first two listed. Henderson never seems involved when he plays, but covers a lot of ground for whatever reason. We utilise Rice in a role he doesn't play for his club and seems to be uncomfortable in, he seems to play better when having a person next to him, which doesn't suit our style as we lose that additional creative player.

For me; Southgate needs to drop all of his preconceptions and find a holding midfielder who isn't scared to tackle. Obviously as a leicester fan I'd love him to utilise Hamza, but that won't happen. Dier was used in a similar sense for England prior to losing all form. 

35 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Explain please... 

Wasn’t so cryptic ??

we won the league 

drinks got a few outings with England but despite being the best player in his position he didn’t make the cut for his country .....

Ergo - we win the league and madders is ignored by Southgate - I’ve examined by inner self and I’m prepared to be extremely upset over this ......I think I’ll cope .......

41 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Wasn’t so cryptic ??

we won the league 

drinks got a few outings with England but despite being the best player in his position he didn’t make the cut for his country .....

Ergo - we win the league and madders is ignored by Southgate - I’ve examined by inner self and I’m prepared to be extremely upset over this ......I think I’ll cope .......

Thanks for clarifying, better that than I assume incorrectly. 

Looking at the Euro 2020 schedule, it’s a misnomer to say it’s a ‘home’ tournament. Yes, England will play all their group games at Wembley but let’s not forget they have NEVER won a knockout game at the Euros outside England (and even the Euro 96 quarter final win v Spain was on pens) and if they finish in the top two in Group D, there’s every chance they will meet either Germany or Spain (perhaps both) in Dublin/St Petersburg and/or Copenhagen/Rome respectively before they potentially return ‘home’ for the semis.

Chances of that happening? Not great.

massive missed opportunity here. Game was a dead rubber yet still doesn't give game time to some of those that come next year we actually be reliant on. 

What happens if Kane picks up an injury before the finals? we have a bunch of strikers who have had no chance to get used to the team and shape etc. When they eventually prove ineffective they get slammed for not being good enough when compared the the mighty hero Kane, when they have never been given a proper crack at the whip.  When up against better teams or where the result matters then i am all for picking your best team (and that means on form not favouratism) but when the oppourtunity to blood back up players presents itself then they should be given a proper chance otherwise what is the point of having them in the squad.  Oh hang just remembered we don't need them we have the wonderkid Rashford who is setting the league on fire just now isn't he?

Its no surprise that Vardy quit.  One of these days some of the younger ones are going to look at this and say stuff it and that hopefully will wake a few people at the FA up (dont hold your breath)

19 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Apparently he got a calf strain before the game. Could be an excuse from Southgate but it's probably not. If he misses the game against Brighton it definitely wasn't an excuse.

He's clearly picked Mount over him before this anyway.

It's been said already but if Maddison has these stats for Manchester United then he has 10 caps by now. 

I was fooled into thinking Southgate wasn't like that but it was more he was forced into playing players outside that supposed big 6 rather than any genuine intention to break the mould.

Makes you wonder how important sponsors are in it all or whether it's just some actually genuine belief that if you play for Man United, Tottenham or Liverpool you just genuinely are better - even when those sides have all been well off the top 6 page theyve all had 5 or 6 players in the squad.