Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Dahnsouff

England squad announcement - Euro 2020 qualifiers 07/11

52 minutes ago, LC/FC said:

He isn't getting a look in because simply the manager is horrendously clueless. 

He has no plan, no identity, no clear playstyle. Lucked through the World Cup. And despite already qualifying and having an opportunity to give those that haven't had a proper chance the 'look in' you're calling for, he blatantly hasn't. That's not the player, it's the manager and his choices. 

If Maguire and Chilwell can get into the set up with Leicester, then why should big club bias come into play when as stated loads of times, he's the most creative player in Europe with chances made. 

Southgate is a total plonker

• Like 1

I'm genuinely at a loss to understand Southgate's treatment of Maddison. It's not unusual to disagree with a manager's decision but you can normally understand the rationale for it. But on this one, I just don't get it as the reasons given by Southgate for Maddison's exclusion don't make sense. For example, Southgate initially said that Maddison didn't fit into England's system as he doesn't play a 10. This was months after Maddison had started playing as an 8 under Brendan. Then Southgate explained leaving out Maddison against Montenegro by saying that he wanted players who could press in midfield. Has he not noticed that Leicester are one of the best pressing sides in the league this season, with Maddison at the forefront of that?

The whole situation is really very odd. It seems personal to me. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

I'm genuinely at a loss to understand Southgate's treatment of Maddison. It's not unusual to disagree with a manager's decision but you can normally understand the rationale for it. But on this one, I just don't get it as the reasons given by Southgate for Maddison's exclusion don't make sense. For example, Southgate initially said that Maddison didn't fit into England's system as he doesn't play a 10. This was months after Maddison had started playing as an 8 under Brendan. Then Southgate explained leaving out Maddison against Montenegro by saying that he wanted players who could press in midfield. Has he not noticed that Leicester are one of the best pressing sides in the league this season, with Maddison at the forefront of that?

The whole situation is really very odd. It seems personal to me. 

Has he noticed? I doubt it. Too busy ironing the folds in his waistcoat. To precision. It's all about how you present yourself. A tidy waistcoat is a tidy mind.

• Haha 1

I've found this whole qualifying campaign quite bizarre by Southgate, he has been so resistant to trying to expose some squad players to getting some game time and I think it will cost us. The midfield is so mis-matched and we've no obvious centre half pairing that look assured. The front three are class but that's about it at the minute, the manager is tactically inept too.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If Maddison isn't injured then this is a clear message to him from Southgate. I'd rather play inferior players out of position then you. If he is doing this against league 1/2 opposition like Kosovo & Montenegro, will he play him in tournament football. I doubt it. 

Quite interesting to hear Southgate say about Kane this morning telling him all the big names he was above in the England goal scoring table. Ferguson would have dropped him for that.

Deep down I'm sure Southgate wanted to play someone else upfront, but Kane is after the greatest goal scorer in England's history honour and Southgate (weak individual that he is) couldn't bench him - despite this match crying out for at least a look at back up strikers. Kane needs to play against weaker opposition to score more goals. He'll still have won **** all though by the time he retires.

Edited by trabuch

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

I've found this whole qualifying campaign quite bizarre by Southgate, he has been so resistant to trying to expose some squad players to getting some game time and I think it will cost us. The midfield is so mis-matched and we've no obvious centre half pairing that look assured. The front three are class but that's about it at the minute, the manager is tactically inept too.

Sometimes I do question if It's Southgate picking the team or the sponsors. Just seems funny how the posters boys are always in squad starting. I just feel little concerened we're going back to old regime of things where we're picking on ablity over form. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SAFC1 said:

Kane was never coming off there. Abraham could score another 50+ goals this season and he’d know come the Euros, he’d be on the bench with Kane starting. 

At the first England international after Harry Kane dies his coffin will be carried on to the pitch by his 10 team mates. He will be stapled to the ground on about the penaly spot, and Terence Trent Arnold jr will spend 45 minutes whipping crosses in, hoping for yet another classy finish or knockdown.

At half time his teamates  will (respectfully) uproot him and carry him to the far end for the second half, restaple and do a quick touch up using the unparalleled preservative properties of superglue. He will win the golden boot at the world cup for a record 7 times, 2 of them posthumously.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The irritating thing for us is that you can guarantee if Maddison pulled on a Man Utd or Spurs shirt tomorrow Southgate would have him down as one of the first names on the team sheet.

Whilst I quite like Southgate as a person, these bloated tournaments full of teams who are barely above sunday league level paint a false picture that he's some sort of managerial genius when the reality is that he's a mediocre manager at best who'd struggle to cut it in domestic football. 

The fact remains that the FA have invested huge sums of money into our national team in an attempt to buy success yet haven't addressed the underlying problems. Whilst the manager is culpable to a degree the issues appear to run deep through the institution so not all of the blame lies with Southgate.

Unfortunately we'll never win anything of note until we break this cycle of having a 'Yes Man' in charge who chooses to select players based on their parent club's historical reputation along with the player's history of association with the England youth set-up and not on form/player merit. 

Edited by ian_marshall
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ian_marshall said:

The irritating thing for us is that you can guarantee if Maddison pulled on a Man Utd or Spurs shirt tomorrow Southgate would have him down as one of the first names on the team sheet.

Whilst I quite like Southgate as a person, these bloated tournaments full of teams who are barely above sunday league level paint a false picture that he's some sort of managerial genius when the reality is that he's a mediocre manager at best who'd struggle to cut it in domestic football. 

The fact remains that the FA have invested huge sums of money into our national team in an attempt to buy success yet haven't addressed the underlying problems. Whilst the manager is culpable to a degree the issues appear to run deep through the institution so not all of the blame lies with Southgate.

Unfortunately we'll never win anything of note until we break this cycle of having a 'Yes Man' in charge who chooses to select players based on their parent club's historical reputation along with the player's history of association with the England youth set-up and not on form/player merit. 

Yep, a puppet.

Guest An Sionnach

Why is everybody so obsessed with Jimmy's international career , its what he does for us that counts. Keith Weller hardly ever played for England but that didn't stop him being one of our greatest ever players. You don't judge our team by international recognition that smacks of an inferiority complex. International football is a mildly entertaining interlude between real competitive football. Its basically a flag waving exercise. I am looking forward to the lad masterminding our continued success for the next ten years and he should get the salary that goes with that . He is a brainy footballer and that is his greatest quality and any other club that fancies him can f**k off ( unless Barcelona offer 200,000,000m). Never ever to another premiership club.

48 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Why is everybody so obsessed with Jimmy's international career , its what he does for us that counts. Keith Weller hardly ever played for England but that didn't stop him being one of our greatest ever players. You don't judge our team by international recognition that smacks of an inferiority complex. International football is a mildly entertaining interlude between real competitive football. Its basically a flag waving exercise. I am looking forward to the lad masterminding our continued success for the next ten years and he should get the salary that goes with that . He is a brainy footballer and that is his greatest quality and any other club that fancies him can f**k off ( unless Barcelona offer 200,000,000m). Never ever to another premiership club.

Because believe it or not, it will be a source of frustration to Maddison and the longer he doesn't get picked by England could have repercussions on whether he thinks he needs to leave or not. Hopefully as far as this season goes, he will continue to prove the few doubters wrong and force Southgate in to a corner come selection time in May. It's looking increasingly difficult for him to get picked baring in mind he's made 1 measly sub appearance but if we get top 4 and he gets double figures in goals and assists then it would be astonishing for Gareth to leave him out. The criticism and pressure that would ensue would be massive.

• Like 2

Thought I heard Maddison had a slight injury concern - hence the non-selection.

Also thought last night was a tough watch. Nice goal from Rashford, otherwise hopeless Kosovan defending put a gloss on it.

Was reduced to playing 'back-row bingo'. Points are scored (or drink taken) for correctly predicting which players will point forward immediately after playing the ball back or sideways to another defender/midfielder - implying the ball should be played forwards by the recipient. Of course, it won't be. Back it goes to the goalie and off we go again. 

Chilly looked good though. He always does for England. TAA had a shocker, as did CHO. Winks, Rice & the Ox looked so-so.

Gareth gave his usual flawless impersonation of a geography teacher determined to show the lads that he's in charge. Even if they do think he's a bit of a pr**k.

Ordinarily agree regarding the club bias for selection and therefore Madders may consider playing for someone else would help his international career but Chillwell and Maguire have been regular choices whilst playing for us.

It doesn't make any sense.

Guest An Sionnach
4 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Because believe it or not, it will be a source of frustration to Maddison and the longer he doesn't get picked by England could have repercussions on whether he thinks he needs to leave or not. Hopefully as far as this season goes, he will continue to prove the few doubters wrong and force Southgate in to a corner come selection time in May. It's looking increasingly difficult for him to get picked baring in mind he's made 1 measly sub appearance but if we get top 4 and he gets double figures in goals and assists then it would be astonishing for Gareth to leave him out. The criticism and pressure that would ensue would be massive.

What he really wants is to be part of a team that challenges in the major club competitions and we can do that. If he didn't think we were capable of that I could understand him looking elsewhere. International football is not part of the equation, its no use trying to use international recognition as some sort of lever to get a "better" club it carries little weight these days. Its what you do on a weekly basis for your club that really matters.

Southgate is a good PR manager, that's basically it. 

He handled the media well at the world cup and that was something the squad needed at the time. But as a coach, he's clearly out of his depth.  The issue is that with all the minows you play in qualifying, a manager is rarely found out until you get to a tournament, then boom... another 2 years to wait. 

35 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

What he really wants is to be part of a team that challenges in the major club competitions and we can do that. If he didn't think we were capable of that I could understand him looking elsewhere. International football is not part of the equation, its no use trying to use international recognition as some sort of lever to get a "better" club it carries little weight these days. Its what you do on a weekly basis for your club that really matters.

I agree with you, just worried he might not see it that way. There's such a big club bias when it comes to playing for England.

4 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

And I don't particularly want him traipsing around Europe sitting on benches and not being involved when he could be with us preparing for the next game.

• Like 1

On 15/11/2019 at 06:57, Dorkingfox said:

It was the same with Wayne Rooney, mainly penalties and goals against poor teams. But you can only score against who you play, England tend not to play many games against the better teams.

I'd say Rooney towards the end of his England career, yes. But he also got a hell of alot of shit.

Rooney at the start of his career was electric and deserved all that praise. He had an all round game aswell. The point on Kane is he doesnt do alot apart from the finishing side and I'm not convinced hes that great at that.