Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nicolo Barella

Tielemans and Maddison

I'm bored of the international break already. As a result I'd like to ask you a question I've been pondering recently. Tielemans and Maddison are both incredible talents, and fairly distinct players from each other as well. My question is, where do their playstyles differ? If you asked me I'd say there are definite differences between the two of them, but when pressed I'd struggle to think of any. They're both good at all sorts of passing, long range shooting, runs in the box, dribbling... The best I can think of is that Maddison is better defensively? Maybe Tielemans is marginally better at running into the box? I'd like to see your perspectives.

22 minutes ago, Nicolo Barella said:

I'm bored of the international break already. As a result I'd like to ask you a question I've been pondering recently. Tielemans and Maddison are both incredible talents, and fairly distinct players from each other as well. My question is, where do their playstyles differ? If you asked me I'd say there are definite differences between the two of them, but when pressed I'd struggle to think of any. They're both good at all sorts of passing, long range shooting, runs in the box, dribbling... The best I can think of is that Maddison is better defensively? Maybe Tielemans is marginally better at running into the box? I'd like to see your perspectives.

I think Madders is a bettter dribbler by quite a bit. Also slightly better at set pieces probably. Tielemans slightly better in terms of finding space, vision and passing? I would have said Tielemans for composure too but Madders is starting to find that now.

• Like 3

For me, Maddison has quicker feet and more likely to go on a mazy dribble and pick up free kicks. Both are good at coming from deep to be a threat in the box. Youri is phenomenal at seeing space and playing those eye of a needle passes and picking someone out. Together they compliment each other beautifully. I’ve been impressed with Madders winning tackles and challenging more for the ball this term, chalk and cheese from last season in that respect 

• Like 2

I've been pondering this for months now and with the way we play dual 8's they are practically interchangeable.

But as far as differencea go, the only slight ones I can tell personally, is that Youri has an ability to see a pass where the real top class players do that's 1 or 2 steps ahead and play it. 

Maddison is more of a creative dribbler that likes to go into space to create something a bit more unexpected.

So for me, Tilly likes making space. 

And Maddy prefers to occupy space. 

But it's getting pretty marginal with the way things are passing and moving. 

Hahaha we're all more or less on the same lines of opinion lol

Edited by LC/FC
  • Like 3

I really like the way Tielemans is so quick thinking and his awareness of where his teammates are is verging on Physic. Yes he can play an incredible through ball but look at the number of quick, one touch round the corner passes he makes in that little triangle of him Perez and Ricardo without even having to look up. It is that speed of thought when doing something that looks unspectacular that is so often the catalyst for starting a move.  This is what we were missing before he came here. We were trying to play possession but had no-one had his urgency or vision with the result that often the killer ball or quick break was never on.  Maddison is growing too. he looks a lot tougher this season and together, with Ndidi providing the steel he seems more confident to take on defenders (not that he ever lacked confidence !)

I really do think that, KDB aside we have the best midfield combination in the league.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stadt said:

The mental thing is that De Bruyne is better than Maddison and Tielemans combined, plus he's taller, quicker and stronger 

KDB is the result of putting those 3 players best qualities into one.

barnes pace and strength, dribbling and size.

maddisons shooting and close control.

tielemans vision, game management and his ability of knowing where to be at a certain time.

scary. 

Edited by Meat and 2 veg

1 hour ago, Stadt said:

The mental thing is that De Bruyne is better than Maddison and Tielemans combined, plus he's taller, quicker and stronger 

KDB is now 28, he joined Man C in 2015 at 23/24 and has improved immensely under Pep. I'm not saying Maddison or Tielemans will ever be that good but neither one is close to their peak yet.

• Like 4

They're more similar than I initially thought. Had Maddison down as a pure 10 and Tielemans as a pure 8, but they are actually more interchangeable. I enjoyed Maddison's coming deep against Southampton, almost a deep lying playmaker.

Maddison is obviously the better dribble and has quicker feet in tight spaces. He also takes better free kicks. Tielemans has better vision and can find a pass where nobody else sees a pass. 

These 2 are a far cry from the legends that are Jason Jarrett, Stephen Hughes and Andy Johnson. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stadt said:

He's also 5-6 years older and had more time to develop, so it's not surprising.

Who to say what level will JM and YT will be performing at 28. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stadt said:

And been gathering Experience in the PL since the season we won the league.....Our 2 lads are still at the beginning of their PL careers,KDB is now in the

MIddle of his...and all 3 have their peak in front of them...   

We dont know how  all 3 careers will pan out,lets just Enjoy each individuals journey.....count up at the end...if you will!!!

30 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

And been gathering Experience in the PL since the season we won the league.....Our 2 lads are still at the beginning of their PL careers,KDB is now in the

MIddle of his...and all 3 have their peak in front of them...   

We dont know how  all 3 careers will pan out,lets just Enjoy each individuals journey.....count up at the end...if you will!!!

40 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

He's also 5-6 years older and had more time to develop, so it's not surprising.

Who to say what level will JM and YT will be performing at 28. 

49 minutes ago, gurru991 said:

KDB is now 28, he joined Man C in 2015 at 23/24 and has improved immensely under Pep. I'm not saying Maddison or Tielemans will ever be that good but neither one is close to their peak yet.

I hate to break it to you lads but I don’t think Tielemans and Maddison are getting any taller 

• Haha 3