Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
leicsmac

Brighton Post-Match 2-0

43 minutes ago, Vardinio'sCat said:

He didn't have a full pre-season with us, as I recall he joined up with the squad who were already in France. I think he isn't as fit as he could be, which is part of the reason he played in the cup. There is also the young baby as a contributing factor and the fact he quite wide naturally (as you say), and the return trip to Russia (which presumably Praet also did), but many posters have referenced him looking absolutely shattered after games

Everyone could see he was a bit short earlier in the season, and I don't see why pointing out that it is still an issue is such a problem. Criminally unfit is going to far, imho. Not as fit as the others is more accurate.

There was a game recently where Vards and Youri were interviewed after match. You could tell JV had played, but he looked well recovered and under control. By contrast, a deeply flushed Youri stood right next to him sweating profusely like a larger lady, god bless his high quality cottons. Now Vardy is a machine, but the contrast was massive.

Benching him isn't going to happen because Youri at 90% is still one of the best CM's in the league, he is managing his energy levels effectively (most of the time), and he will get only get fitter with playing time. I would always play him if he was there or thereabouts, for the different qualities he gives you over others.

Come off it mate He missed one day of pre season! Let's not split hairs. 

Kasper, Chillwell, Evans, Ricardo, caglar,  and the other internationals who played for their countries in june had an extra week off. They joined the squad on the 8th July. Youri joined on the 9th. 

But I do take your point about playing in the cup games against Luton and Burton. There could be something in that but I see it as more of an astetic thing (he is a bit chunky build wise and does look flushed at full time) rather than his play.

In a way I hope your right because he's had 10 goals and assists and has had the 22nd most touches of any player in the league so imagine if he does have another gear fitness wise! Personally though I don't believe he does.

Edited by The whole world smiles
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, AylestoneRaider said:

Staggered by the comments about Youri’s fitness - he looked s bit jaded today and struggled with the wet conditions, but he is not unfit. Absolutely not. He might not be as agile as some, but he doesn’t struggle to keep pace with the game.

Exactly ......he covers holes all over the park .. with only wilf holding, YT has to help both at the back and also support further forward ..... he had a couple of bad touches and several misplaced passes ...... he is human ...... 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Exactly ......he covers holes all over the park .. with only wilf holding, YT has to help both at the back and also support further forward ..... he had a couple of bad touches and several misplaced passes ...... he is human ...... 

But is he dancer? 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, 49er said:

I loved the way in which he had a word with Morgan when they were celebrating Ayoze’s opener, as if to say stay focused and let’s see this one out.

I spotted that as well. He took a few seconds out to celebrate and then "back to work" and make sure we see this game out. It also shows that despite his English not being up to scratch he still is an absolute warrior and leader of the team as he feels it's his remit to organise the defence even though Morgan is on the pitch. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

No, benching a player because he has one below par game to give him a kick up the arse is beyond foolish. This is the same player who has been on fire the previous couple of months.

Yes he was on fire, now he isn't. I am not unhappy with Tielemans at all, he's an asset and I'm glad we have him, but I think it could help him if he doesn't feel his position is 100% safe, because of the quality in our squad. Speaking of the quality in our squad, I don't see why anyone would have a problem with Praet starting 1 game, he has been excellent coming off the bench and playing from the start, every opportunity he's been given. I would definitely have taken 90 minutes from Praet over Tielemans' shaky performance today.

Please understand I don't think Tielemans is shit at all, on the contrary he's one of our better players, I just think he needs to concentrate more in games and if he is more aware of what is at stake that *could* help him. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Vardinio'sCat said:

Benching him isn't going to happen because Youri at 90% is still one of the best CM's in the league, he is managing his energy levels effectively, and he will get only get fitter with playing time. I would always play him if he was there or thereabouts, for the different qualities he gives you over others.

Rodgers has gone on record to say there might be a point where Youri comes out of the team as he and Ndidi have played the most minutes so far. The crazy Christmas schedule is around the corner so we will definitely see Praet, Hamza, Albrighton and Gray feature a lot more often now. This period is always about grinding out results as the games and injuries pile up!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 49er said:

One of the reasons why Manure signed Maguire was because of his supposed leadership attributes. I didn’t see much evidence of this when he played for us or since. All he seems to do is to stick his hand up for offside when the opponents score.

By contrast, Cags takes over from Evans when he goes off, organising the back line and leading by example. I loved the way in which he had a word with Morgan when they were celebrating Ayoze’s opener, as if to say stay focused and let’s see this one out.

Reminds me of Ruud Krol and Franco Baresi- great defensively but also good on the ball. Everything that Maguire is not.

Great minds must think alike :) because I took notice of the same. Amazing how accomplished and assured Caglar is.

When I watch the match and there looks like trouble brewing Cags just steps in and it disappears. So many situations like that yesterday.

No matter what happens someone always has your back. And its usually Soyuncu.

3 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Rodgers has gone on record to say there might be a point where Youri comes out of the team as he and Ndidi have played the most minutes so far. The crazy Christmas schedule is around the corner so we will definitely see Praet, Hamza, Albrighton and Gray feature a lot more often now. This period is always about grinding out results as the games and injuries pile up!

I think it's possible that when (if?) Ndidi is rested, and Hamza comes in for him, Praet joins him for the extra defensive solidity he provides.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AylestoneRaider said:

Staggered by the comments about Youri’s fitness - he looked s bit jaded today and struggled with the wet conditions, but he is not unfit. Absolutely not. He might not be as agile as some, but he doesn’t struggle to keep pace with the game.

There seems to be more than one of that opinion though and we all see things slightly differently. However, I too I'm afraid fall into the camp that thinks his fitness falls short of most of the others. We understandably saw it when he first arrived because presumably he was used to a different pace of football and he couldn't get through a full match at the start. By the end of the season he was flying and his contribution was incredible. 

Nevertheless, he started this season slowly. He could clearly be seen puffing and panting at times and at times coasting in games. He was therefore not as effective in his overall game as last season. He's improved but still appears short on top Premiership pace fitness to me also. Had it not been due to rearrangements due to injury, I wouldn't have been surprised had he been substituted yesterday.

5 minutes ago, SO1 said:

Great minds must think alike :) because I took notice of the same. Amazing how accomplished and assured Caglar is.

When I watch the match and there looks like trouble brewing Cags just steps in and it disappears. So many situations like that yesterday.

No matter what happens someone always has your back. And its usually Soyuncu.

He’s reassuring in a Kante sort of way. Whenever there is any danger he’s there to deal with it

A good win against a difficult opponent in tough conditions. 

Vardy was amazing right down to passing to Perez when he could have shot himself.

Let's just hope he stays fit. 

The plus from the weekend is Chelsea lost and we improved our goal difference. 

Onwards and Upwards we go. 

4 hours ago, 49er said:

One of the reasons why Manure signed Maguire was because of his supposed leadership attributes. I didn’t see much evidence of this when he played for us or since. All he seems to do is to stick his hand up for offside when the opponents score.

By contrast, Cags takes over from Evans when he goes off, organising the back line and leading by example. I loved the way in which he had a word with Morgan when they were celebrating Ayoze’s opener, as if to say stay focused and let’s see this one out.

Reminds me of Ruud Krol and Franco Baresi- great defensively but also good on the ball. Everything that Maguire is not.

I was with you until that last sentence.

I was a big fan of Maguire, but Soyuncu's emergence has really shown Maguire to be so ponderous in comparison.  He is already a better player than Harry for me, but to say that Maguire is not good on the ball is ridiculous really.

HighPeakFox
   1 hour ago,  East Langton Fox said: 

As well as my radio appearance I forgot to mention the foxes bobble hats for all away fans yesterday.

what a gesture!

what a fantastic club we have!

Were you on the radio, mate?

Yes I was  waxing lyrical about our performance. About 47 minutes into the program. It’s on the podcast.

I sound like I know what I’m on about. How strange!