Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Kelechi Iheanacho

1 hour ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Agree with this. I may be wrong but I get the sense Rodgers doesn't really fancy him at all. Even when he was on fire he seemed to go out his way to to highlight his shortcomings in interviews last season.

A lot tend to forget that the majority of our key players have nothing to do with Rodgers , he didn't buy them. Kelechi is one of those and his idiosyncratic way of playing perhaps Rodgers doesn't get.

• Sad 1

On 04/09/2021 at 15:38, Marutimon said:

BTW Iheanacho on the double vs Liberia.

Two nice goals, but the first touch and turn on the second was sublime.

I've never seen him celebrate in that fashion for us, looked comfortable and relaxed! Whenever he scores for us he (usually) just points to the heavens!

55 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

A lot tend to forget that the majority of our key players have nothing to do with Rodgers , he didn't buy them. Kelechi is one of those and his idiosyncratic way of playing perhaps Rodgers doesn't get.

I don't get how you can say that, Rodgers has developed or increased the longevity of so many key players at the club. There's more to a manager than just buying the players he wants, particularly a hands-on coach type manager like Rodgers.

Classic example of the above would be his first season at Celtic. He signed three players in that first season, the eight remaining were a laughing stock the season before, going out the cup to a second tier Rangers side. Rodgers came in and developed the same core of underperforming players and a year later they had won an Invincible treble, acquitted themselves well in the champions league, avoiding defeat to Man City over two legs and some who the fans wanted chase 12 months previous went on to the EPL for big money.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

I don't get how you can say that, Rodgers has developed or increased the longevity of so many key players at the club. There's more to a manager than just buying the players he wants, particularly a hands-on coach type manager like Rodgers.

Classic example of the above would be his first season at Celtic. He signed three players in that first season, the eight remaining were a laughing stock the season before, going out the cup to a second tier Rangers side. Rodgers came in and developed the same core of underperforming players and a year later they had won an Invincible treble, acquitted themselves well in the champions league, avoiding defeat to Man City over two legs and some who the fans wanted chase 12 months previous went on to the EPL for big money.

No I wasn't questioning his coaching skills but sometimes players like Iheanacho , who are not of the classic type can be underestimated. In the end its results that matter and Kelechi puts the ball in the net. That is why I, among others, want him in the starting eleven. I will add that alone among our strikers , he is the least predictable , poor touch one minute and then a spark of near genius. That can be the hardest thing to contend with as a defender. Whether Rodgers is really a supporter of players who can be ineffective for 85 minutes and then produce 5 minutes of pure inspiration I am not sure.

Edited by An Sionnach
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, filbertway said:

One goal cutting inside against an extremely poor team and all of a sudden Kel is the answer to our right wing prayers haha

Not really he proved last season he can score all types of goals from anywhere I'd be playing over Perez even in that position the man is a goalscorer and link up player get him in the team.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, whoareyaaa said:

Not really he proved last season he can score all types of goals from anywhere I'd be playing over Perez even in that position the man is a goalscorer and link up player get him in the team.

Id have him ahead of Vardy any day of the week now, would prefer him doing his work within the width of the penalty area

Hes not bad with his feet and moving with the ball, but he's not exactly pacey or tricky on the ball to be playing on the wing 

Just now, filbertway said:

Id have him ahead of Vardy any day of the week now, would prefer him doing his work within the width of the penalty area

Hes not bad with his feet and moving with the ball, but he's not exactly pacey or tricky on the ball to be playing on the wing 

He has as much pace as Perez and I wouldn't play him instead of Vardy I would play him with Vardy .. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Corrected that for you :ph34r:

Put him in the 10 position if Rodgers doesn't want to change shape, just put him in. On current form he is one of our best threats.

Please correct me as he absolutely MUST start 😂 Maddison, Barnes, Perez have had enough chances.  Bring Barnes on by all means as a sub as he needs game time after his injury but the other 2 have shown no improvement.  The guys on the bench are hungry and want play. He needs to play them!

• Haha 1

Feel for him. All those goals to be directly dropped.

We've dropped him to accommodate Barnes and Barnes has offered fvck all this season so far. I hope we go to Brighton with Kelechi and Vardy up front but it won't happen because Rodgers won't shift from 1 up front.

1 hour ago, ScrumpyJack said:

Proved last season he can play with Vardy, it’s a fallacy that they can’t start together.

That’s not the issue though is it. What formation do you play with them two together? 

If it’s 442 with Kel dropping into the 10 then it’s likely we don’t see the best of the rest of our team because we’ll have a lot less of the ball. 

If it’s 352 to get them two up top then you need three fit centre halves. Something we haven’t had until today, with two of them not fit enough to complete a whole 90mins.