Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Kelechi Iheanacho

I think his worry about playing Ihenacho is losing control of the midfield, and primary thing that Rodgers wants in our footballing style is control. 

The way to address this is to play Soumare, alongside Tielemans and Ndidi, with Ihenacho at the top of the diamond. 

You could then have Barnes and Vardy upfront. We tried a diamond briefly against Liverpool and we tore them apart - they just couldn't cope with the pace of Barnes and Vardy, while we took control of the midfield. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, escape2victory said:

Don’t get me wrong, I quite like the idea of 3-5-2 but where do we start with this ?! You have either Evans or Vestergaard as your outside CB, which will leave either exposed with their pace and Lookman and Barnes as wingbacks ?! Horrific stuff 

Evans in the middle , cags on the left and vesty on the right , now remember we will have ndidi and soumare in front of them , Iam sure look man and barnes can handle that , today’s game showed them well back in our half , we got to change things up and getting mor players in the middle of the park can only help 

1 hour ago, lcfc_forever said:

I think his worry about playing Ihenacho is losing control of the midfield, and primary thing that Rodgers wants in our footballing style is control. 

The way to address this is to play Soumare, alongside Tielemans and Ndidi, with Ihenacho at the top of the diamond. 

You could then have Barnes and Vardy upfront. We tried a diamond briefly against Liverpool and we tore them apart - they just couldn't cope with the pace of Barnes and Vardy, while we took control of the midfield. 

Yes I think that's why he doesn't want to play Nacho in a 4 4 2 or even as a number 10 as he effectively ends up playing as a second striker and doesn't drop back to support the midfield resulting in us getting overrun in the middle (Spurs and Arsenal games spring to mind). Saying that the way Maddison is playing at the minute, we're suffering from this and getting outnumbered/overran in midfield. 

• Like 1

If you played Nacho on the right of a 4 3 3 as has been suggested, he would end up tucking in narrow behind/ alongside Vardy and would rely on the attacking width to come from Ricardo/Castagne. As Nacho wouldn't do the defensive tracking back as well as Perez or Albrighton do, the midfielder on the right of the 3 would be responsible for helping cover the right, so would need a more mobile midfielder on that side like KDH.  

LCFC line up.png

• Like 2

19 hours ago, TJB-fox said:

That’s not the issue though is it. What formation do you play with them two together? 

If it’s 442 with Kel dropping into the 10 then it’s likely we don’t see the best of the rest of our team because we’ll have a lot less of the ball. 

If it’s 352 to get them two up top then you need three fit centre halves. Something we haven’t had until today, with two of them not fit enough to complete a whole 90mins. 

Fair point, I think football has moved slightly away from rigid formations, but Vardy floating slightly off Iheanacho would provide both the spontaneity of Vardy’s play while giving Kelechi the opportunity to lead the line and finish off more focussed attacking build-up. 

I've said it before and I don't know if it's a silly shout, and I don't really have strong evidence behind this, but would playing him on the right be a disaster? We yearn for this left footed right sided attacker, I feel like he often used to drift out a bit to the right when in a front pairing anyway. Ricardo essentially plays as that right winger at times too. People have spent the last two years claiming it isn't Perez in his actual position either.

Or alternatively just play him behind Vardy, or Daka. He can't be worse than Maddison.

1 minute ago, Dan LCFC said:

I've said it before and I don't know if it's a silly shout, and I don't really have strong evidence behind this, but would playing him on the right be a disaster? We yearn for this left footed right sided attacker, I feel like he often used to drift out a bit to the right when in a front pairing anyway. Ricardo essentially plays as that right winger at times too. People have spent the last two years claiming it isn't Perez in his actual position either.

Or alternatively just play him behind Vardy, or Daka. He can't be worse than Maddison.

We have tried him there a few times both under Puel and Rodgers, but he’s been mediocre. He does drift out to the wings but he’s a central player at heart. 

He’s always been best playing with Vardy. Either to support him or as we saw at times last season - when Vardy supports Nacho!

Often times Nacho is guilty of losing the ball too easily and not making it stick. But currently Maddison is far worse. When Nacho comes on he’s getting stuck in to win the ball back and making great passes. As you say he can’t be worse than Maddison currently if he played in the same position. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pmcla26 said:

I think a better way would possibly be Maddison on the right, Kel in the 10 and Barnes on the left. 

Next class up of player, but Eriksen and David Silva both did it for Spurs and Man City when they wanted to play 2 up top, and I think Maddison could possibly get that bit extra time and space he might need on the ball right now out on the right hand side. 

We've seen Maddison out wide and it's not pretty.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

I thought he played quite well off of the flank against Spurs last game of last season. 

Attacking wise

1 shot 

no crosses 

no key passes 

4 long balls 50 percent accuracy

3 times bad control 

4 dribbles dispossessed once 

6.80 on whoscored 

5.2 Foxestalk 

Think I’d rather see Perez 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I think for the Brighton game Rogers should give madders a break. Put Nacho-man back in and sub Vardy in the 2nd half to give Daka a chance. Brighton are not at full strength for what thats worth we should be able to beat them so why not go all guns at them? Rogers can continue his madders experiment in a cup game to to take some pressure off him while he gets his act together.

2 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

We looked far better with Nacho on the pitch against Man C and Norwich. 

Wolves and Man City in the shield too. Quite simply he's in better form than Maddison at the moment. He's been very good in every game he's played so far.

Nacho has been crap for us plenty of times in the past. But when he was crap he was rightly taken out of the team, whereas very specifically Perez and Maddison are able to keep their places despite numerous very ordinary performances. To some extent Vardy has gotten away with it too, but he's usually come back and delivered soon enough. At the end of last season it was more in a supporting role than the main man, but Vardy was playing brilliantly minus the goals so deserved to stay in the team.

At the weekend, Man City could have played Mahrez, Foden or Sterling in the right wing position, but went for Gabriel Jesus instead, because he's been in better form than the other players, or in Foden's case he is returning from injury. 

Perhaps the only thing I can say in Rodgers defence is that with young players he feels they need a run of games to get back to their best. So he decided at the start of the season to give 4-5 games to certain players to do that, and might be thinking of switching those players over at some point. I expect at some point in the season for several players to get extended runs in the team, Soumare and Daka in particular, especially around AFCON / Christmas period.

But really Nacho is long overdue a run in the team. If he put in 2 of Maddison's performances in a row he'd be benched immediately. It does seem pretty unfair if you ask me.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, pmcla26 said:

I think a better way would possibly be Maddison on the right, Kel in the 10 and Barnes on the left. 

Next class up of player, but Eriksen and David Silva both did it for Spurs and Man City when they wanted to play 2 up top, and I think Maddison could possibly get that bit extra time and space he might need on the ball right now out on the right hand side. 

I honestly think that Maddison needs some time at the training ground and away for the matchday squad.

5 hours ago, pmcla26 said:

Shall we just play Maddison anywhere, just to make sure he's on the pitch for some unknown reason?

Christ, Maddison out wide sends shivers down my spine. Boy has zero pace for starters.

Maddison needs to drop to the bench and work his way back in by proving his worth. It's not rocket science.

• Like 1