Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

James Justin

I'd say it was 5-2 in Justin's favour over Traore. 

First half much better and Traore struggled. Justin tracked well, stood up to him, blocked crosses and matched him for strength. Traore had a better time of it as it looked that Justin was tiring but then Traore started to tire as well and even get frustrated. Even Youri was getting in on the act tackling him lol

Another formidable performance. Deserves a rest against Brighton and then to overcome Salah on Saturday ;)

• Like 2

I thought he was superb today. Traore is a real handful and that’s the best I’ve seen a full back deal with him. He’s getting better with each game. Player of the season so far. 

he must surely be in Southgates thoughts for the euros!? He’s absolutely rock solid and can play both sides. 

36 minutes ago, martyn said:

Keeps this form up and he should be in the Euro squad.

He might not be the best English Right back or left back, but he's probably top 3 or 4 on both sides, and that versatility is a massive bonus.

That’s the hope. We will win me some £££ :)

You know when we sold Maguire and started playing Soyuncu we all half seriously thought Soyuncu was better for a while and then for a large part, it turned out true. The same has happened again with Chilwell and Justin. I wasn't totally sold when people last season were saying Justin was the ready made replacement but bloody hell, he's so much better than I thought he was, he's been one of our best players this season, making plenty of team of the seasons so far and it's a travesty if he's not at the Euros to be honest.

• Like 1

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/12212927/englands-full-back-options-justin

Jamie Carragher and Chris Coleman looked at James Justin's performance for Leicester at Wolves and assess whether his form is deserving of an England call-up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 08/02/2021 at 04:39, Dan LCFC said:

You know when we sold Maguire and started playing Soyuncu we all half seriously thought Soyuncu was better for a while and then for a large part, it turned out true. The same has happened again with Chilwell and Justin. I wasn't totally sold when people last season were saying Justin was the ready made replacement but bloody hell, he's so much better than I thought he was, he's been one of our best players this season, making plenty of team of the seasons so far and it's a travesty if he's not at the Euros to be honest.

Carragher points it out well but there's two things that Justin has over chilwell for me.

His defending is way superior to chilwell, and he's very deliberate in his play. Chilwell you watch and other than run head down he doesn't really look like he has an idea of what he wants to do. Justin is so deliberate in his play he always looks like he knows what he should do before ge gets the ball. Chilwell's strength is his running and physicality but honestly now I don't think hes got anything over chilwell. Shaw feels like more of a threat for his England spot if I'm honest.

49 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Carragher points it out well but there's two things that Justin has over chilwell for me.

His defending is way superior to chilwell, and he's very deliberate in his play. Chilwell you watch and other than run head down he doesn't really look like he has an idea of what he wants to do. Justin is so deliberate in his play he always looks like he knows what he should do before ge gets the ball. Chilwell's strength is his running and physicality but honestly now I don't think hes got anything over chilwell. Shaw feels like more of a threat for his England spot if I'm honest.

Got a really good review last off the sky boys. Completely agree with what they said, although Traore had his pants down once or twice, on a whole Justin was on top and at present, there isn't 'currently' a better English Full back in the league. Trents lost his way a bit, Walkers a walking Red, Chilwell and Shaw have the odd good game but are inconsistent... but Justin is on top of his game at present. Yes, there will more than likely be a dip at some point, but if he carries this on into the summer, he shouldn't just be in the squad, but the first 11 for me

• Like 3

I think the major difference in Justin is that he looks more confident now. When he first game in, he was very risk averse which made him look a bit of a basic player. As he's played more he's shown much more confidence in his choice of passing as well as making forward runs. Athletically he's about as good as you'd want in a full back.

An absolutely superb find and he will only improve.

This time 6 months ago the gap between him and Ricardo looked huge. Ricardo is one of the best in the world in his position and Justin may never fully close that gap, but who's to say he can't improve even more and go up another level or 2 in the next season or two. As has been said as well, his ability to play in multiple position makes him such a useful asset.

After losing his dad last year I'm made up for him that he's been able to channel himself and start to realise his potential. Keep it up JJ :D

1 hour ago, filbertway said:

I think the major difference in Justin is that he looks more confident now. When he first game in, he was very risk averse which made him look a bit of a basic player. As he's played more he's shown much more confidence in his choice of passing as well as making forward runs. Athletically he's about as good as you'd want in a full back.

An absolutely superb find and he will only improve.

This time 6 months ago the gap between him and Ricardo looked huge. Ricardo is one of the best in the world in his position and Justin may never fully close that gap, but who's to say he can't improve even more and go up another level or 2 in the next season or two. As has been said as well, his ability to play in multiple position makes him such a useful asset.

After losing his dad last year I'm made up for him that he's been able to channel himself and start to realise his potential. Keep it up JJ :D

I think that's just it........... his confidence has grown massively

The only run in the side he had was the abysmal run the whole team had at the end of the season, and he was expected to replace Ricardo as we were pushing for top 4, and at the time everyone got slated

This season we've had to rely on him in different positions, with constant game time and it's allowed him to express himself a bit. The short break over the summer would have helped as I'd imagine Rodgers would have been getting in his ear, telling him he has the attributes and the opportunity to play. He had months where there was always a space in the team, so no added pressure of someone coming in to take his place, so he was probably able to relax a bit.... and that's one thing I really like about the lad, he always looks so calm when he's playing, doesn't do anything rash, which gives him that extra split second to think logically and read the game better. Any other 22 year old would've been diving in to challenges left right and centre against Traore, but not JJ, he got his position right and basically said 'I'm giving you nothing, try and beat me' and bar a couple of instances (which will always happen against Traores pace and strength) he won time and time again

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

You can tell after watching both for a while that Justin is simply the better player, the same way you could tell Ricardo was. Justin's turned out a lot better than I thought he would be, a lot quicker than I thought he'd get there. Could you imagine Chilwell on his weaker side?

I agree that Shaw will probably start over him but I think they're missing a trick if they don't take Justin. He's played right back, left back and even in a back three (which we do sometimes use) to a high standard. He's the ideal type of player to take to a tournament.

• Like 1

For someone his age, his 1 V 1 defending and positioning is incredible. In the game vs Wolves, Traore tried to go past him early on but Justin managed to stay with him and blocked the cross, the camera zoomed in on Justin’s face and he had this confident smirk that showed he was well up for the challenge. Most full backs, (with great reason) would be scared of facing traore for 90 mins, I feel Justin relished it. 

Brendan has come out and said his position has sometimes be based on opposition players too? Son, Mane etc that would have given him great confidence.

Edited by OhYesNdidi

1 hour ago, Dan LCFC said:

You can tell after watching both for a while that Justin is simply the better player, the same way you could tell Ricardo was. Justin's turned out a lot better than I thought he would be, a lot quicker than I thought he'd get there. Could you imagine Chilwell on his weaker side?

I agree that Shaw will probably start over him but I think they're missing a trick if they don't take Justin. He's played right back, left back and even in a back three (which we do sometimes use) to a high standard. He's the ideal type of player to take to a tournament.

Chris Coleman mentioned it on MNF last night, he would be any international managers dream because of how good he is playing at the moment, and because of how versatile he is

I don't expect Southgate will make the right decision and take him to the Euros though, he will most likely take Shaw and Chilwell (Shaw probably deserved to go, not Chilwell though)

31 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Chris Coleman mentioned it on MNF last night, he would be any international managers dream because of how good he is playing at the moment, and because of how versatile he is

I don't expect Southgate will make the right decision and take him to the Euros though, he will most likely take Shaw and Chilwell (Shaw probably deserved to go, not Chilwell though)

I have money on him making the euros. 

41 minutes ago, turlo said:

Lets hope he gets called up to the senior squad and not the under 21's, as the Euro U21 Group Stage fixtures are taking place in late March with 3 fixtures crammed into a week

I'd preefer none of our players to get called up for a bunch of pointless friendlies, in fact I'd be happy for them not to get called up for full competitive internationals.

More games, less rest, increased chance of a strain.

• Like 2