Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Man City Post Match Thread - first defeat in 12

Just now, SouthStandUpperTier said:

He was left unprotected, but I was a little surprised he got rinsed so easily by Mahrez on a few occasions considering he must've seen all of Mahrez's tricks a thousand times in training.

I'm not at all surprised. It's easy saying you should know how to stop him, but actually putting it into practice is a different thing entirely.

Not read the whole thread as im dying of man flu.

Near the end of the match i was fed up (and poorly) and wanted to leave early, but in retrospect somebody summed it up perfectly.

Man City would have beaten anybody yesterday the way they played.

They are back.

I get that VAR could have gone differently but from that match and liverpool away, they are just a step above us. The near finished article and result of a long term project backed up by mega money and the recent history to attract the very best players available.

Last season it took a kompany wonder goal. Yesterday, we are a much better team in general than last season, but they played MUCH better too.

In summary, our team are still excellent, but no match for the 2 best in the league (and possibly the world) when they are at their best.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, FoxFossil said:

Klopp will be all over the footage of this, so how do we respond when they try to exploit the same weaknesses? Makes Thursday even a bigger test for BR.

Man City went 442 and pressed our full backs. Pretty much like Brighton did weeks before. 

De Bryune practically played as a striker. He also pressed Chilwell giving the space to Mahrez to do what he does best. 

Liverpool dont press the same way itll be interesting though thats for sure. 

48 minutes ago, Stoopid said:

So much punditry - and opinion on forums - is just a case of reverse analysis - ie start with the result and work backwards pointing out what went wrong. Effect before cause.

Jesus, it's tiresome. 

Perfection is not something available in this life - especially in retrospect.

We're having a great season with every chance it could get even better.

Why not enjoy it?

We are enjoying the season. If people's opinions are tiresome to you, you don't have to read the posts? 

But an enjoyable important part of being a supporter, to me at least, is having an opinion when things go right or wrong and surely that is the point of a forum? 

Anyway, Merry Christmas. 🌠😁

Edited by Cadno'r Cymoedd
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Come on we can't blame VAR for that one, they completely outclassed us start to finish even when we took the lead against the run of play. The way they stopped us from playing out was magnificent, just look at the amount of no hope long balls Evans had to play in the first half for example.

Losing to Man City away is no shame, but that was probably our worst performance of the season. Disappointing to see a lack of fight or bravery to play with the ball. We have a young team so it's perhaps to be expected, but to get any better, we have to learn to improve in that area. Only Maddison of the midfielders and fullbacks I felt showed the confidence to try and play.

Anyway, it's just one game. Let's put it behind us and move on. A top 4 finish and potential cup final would still be an incredible season.

I don’t believe he was saying we weren’t second best. We were not very good at all bar Vardy, and the better team won.

There can be no doubt we should have had a penalty at 2-1. It could not have been more obvious and again we saw officials, both the referee and VAR not implementing the rules of the game. 

Staggering that it wasn’t even mentioned on MOTD either. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by NotTheMarketLeader

Need a bit of common sense here. Man City were absolutely fantastic yesterday and yes it was disappointing that we couldn’t impose ourselves fully like we know we can but I think they would’ve beaten anyone in Europe yesterday. The tempo they played at was frightening and we couldn’t live with it unfortunately. Our season won’t be defined by games like this and yes criticism is needed for players who underperformed yesterday but to suddenly start saying X Y Z aren’t good enough and need binning etc is pathetic. Second in the league for ****s sake. Onto the next. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Looked like we set up to go toe to toe with them and play our normal game. We caught them on a bad day and it didn't work at all. In hindsight we might have done better with someone next to Wilf in a 4-2-3-1 but Brendan got  his hands burned taking the cautious approach at Man Utd. In truth, we would have probably struggled against City in that sort of form whatever set up we had tried. 

• Like 1

Yes the penalty was a bit dodgy but even if it had not been given we would have still lost such was the gap in quality. Lets be honest after the first ten minutes  you knew it was only a matter of time before they would score. even after Vardy scored you knew in your heart it would not stay that way. It was wave after wave of pure quality football from Man city and if they had played like that from the start of the season Liverpool would not be at the top.

On a more positive side Rodgers will have seen what he now must do in terms of transfers  and how to manage what we have already got. A young side who have been punching above their weight somewhat but still a great side with lots of promise for the future. And remember it was only a few seasons ago that we as fans would have given everything just to stop in the Prem such was the quality then compared to now. The futures still bright and better than it ever was.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cadno'r Cymoedd said:

We are enjoying the season. If people's opinions are tiresome to you, you don't have to read the posts? 

But an enjoyable important part of being a supporter, to me at least, is having an opinion when things go right or wrong and surely that is the point of a forum? 

Anyway, Merry Christmas. 🌠😁

You too.

• Like 1

Guest An Sionnach
41 minutes ago, TJB-fox said:

Need a bit of common sense here. Man City were absolutely fantastic yesterday and yes it was disappointing that we couldn’t impose ourselves fully like we know we can but I think they would’ve beaten anyone in Europe yesterday. The tempo they played at was frightening and we couldn’t live with it unfortunately. Our season won’t be defined by games like this and yes criticism is needed for players who underperformed yesterday but to suddenly start saying X Y Z aren’t good enough and need binning etc is pathetic. Second in the league for ****s sake. Onto the next. 

What about Norwich and the Everton second half.

Disappointing result. In reality we were off the pace last night, City were very good and would’ve probably beaten any side playing like that. 
We are still an exceptional side in an exceptional position. I think in the last few months we have been able to move ourselves away from the Everton’ of this league and been able to push on. Still don’t think we are as good as Man City or Liverpool but I fully back Rodgers to push us onto that level. We need to put into a perspective; 2nd and a cup semi-final, it’s been incredible so far.

Edited by Matt_Lcfc

Guest An Sionnach
1 minute ago, TJB-fox said:

Maybe if we had Andy King up front instead of Vardy we would’ve won all three games eh

;)

Andy King and Vardy would have seen off Norwich

We’re a good side, but that’s about it. Rodgers isn’t the tactical genius many seem to think he is and our players aren’t European elite like a lot seem to also think. He’s a good manager and we have some decent players.

We got shown what a properly top side looks like yesterday - it’s only a disappointing result if we don’t learn from it and use it as a blueprint to build in the new year. We’ve got such a good platform to really cement ourselves as a top team in this division, we’ve been brilliant this year and really capitalised on some teams being all over the gaff - but one swallow doesn’t make a summer. We need to invest and we need to keep learning and improving. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As I stated before the game our weakness is down our left. Chilly is a modern day defender (rather like Trent Alexander-Arnold)- great going forward but an average defender. Barnes doesn’t offer any support, so we are vulnerable and the opposition know that. I suppose one solution might be to play Albrighton, but then we lose something in attack. 

2 hours ago, TRAD-DAD said:

Yes the penalty was a bit dodgy but even if it had not been given we would have still lost such was the gap in quality. Lets be honest after the first ten minutes  you knew it was only a matter of time before they would score. even after Vardy scored you knew in your heart it would not stay that way. It was wave after wave of pure quality football from Man city and if they had played like that from the start of the season Liverpool would not be at the top.

On a more positive side Rodgers will have seen what he now must do in terms of transfers  and how to manage what we have already got. A young side who have been punching above their weight somewhat but still a great side with lots of promise for the future. And remember it was only a few seasons ago that we as fans would have given everything just to stop in the Prem such was the quality then compared to now. The futures still bright and better than it ever was.

From the ashes of disappointment I want to believe that Rogers learned a big lesson yesterday. The buck stops with him in how he set up the team. He should have been wary of Kevin DB especially after last weeks destruction of the Arses. Also hearing now reports of peps analysis of Leicester and using Kevin DB to press from the center while deploying Mahrez from the get go to stretch chillwell on the wing as a key strategy was pretty clear to see. Brendan gambled and got played on this one but I hope it lights a fire in him and a desire to pay back in the future. 

Its a great game to analyze to see what we can do next time to nullify such a superior threat so we don’t lose. 

Make no mistake klopp will have watched this game too and will also have a master plan!

Time to earn your corn BR and make us look respectable on Boxing Day and not chumps.

Maybe Barnes getting injured now means chillwell will have more defensive support.