Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Man City Post Match Thread - first defeat in 12

Just returning from match. Important reality check. We were beaten by a much better team on the day. Mahrez owned Chilwell and Barnes. Gundogan was excellent. Bernardo Silva terrorised poor Tielemans. And De Bruyne was different gravy and Ndidi couldn't get near him or Sterling. Watching Perez and he won a number of first tackles but then lost out next challenge (consistently). More strength and conditioning? More fight? Needs more though. 

They are a good team and they played well today.  We are above them coz they they inconsistant .

Imo they will still be in consistent and we will finish ahead if them.... but today was one of their best performances this season.

Yet it was not one of our best. Utd showed how to beat these these.  Maybe Brendan needs to have a third set up besides" the wingers" or the "diamond with 2  up top"... hamsa and ndidid on... defensive wi ngs (mark and dimi) and hit them on the break

We are punching well above our weight and most people on here seem to realise that. We are light years away from Man City, in terms of squad ability, we have done extremely well, beat some very average to poor teams, but fall short against the best. There's only 2 very good teams luckily so 3rd is still realistic which would be an unbelievable achievement. 

Tiredness and the odd poor performance is bound to happen, plus they were very good, particularly De Bruyne and blooming Mahrez. 

You simply cannot be too over the top about losing to a team that:

Bought your best player to strengthen their squad, not as a starter. 

Have a squad assembled at the cost of a billion quid. 

Are playing away from home on the back of a 8 game winning run with one draw. 

You're still ahead of said team on points. 

You still have said team to play at home. 

Said team have accumulated nearly 200 points over the last 2 seasons. 

It wasn't our day. We should still be extremely excited for the future 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

The manner of that wasn't good enough. They were very good but we were awful. 3-1 flattered us.

Careful, you'll upset people holding views and using language like that.

They outclassed and are billionaires you know...

Man City are just lucky that Leicester City have still a weak mentality in front of the so called big teams, can't stand the sight of Pip the coach thinking he is a genius while all he does is telling his players to attack and press the ball :dry:

Edited by Sand cats

Bear in mind this is one of Big Brendan's weak areas, playing the same way regardless of opponents. You'd see his Celtic routinely lose 7 nil in the Champions League because they'd rock up at Barcelona or PSG away and try to play like they were playing Falkirk at home. I expect we'll be the same.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Matt said:

Careful, you'll upset people holding views and using language like that.

They outclassed and are billionaires you know...

Not quite sure what you're getting at here. So moaning and calling half the team shite and criticising everything is the way forward. You need a bit of perspective sometimes in defeat. They were very good today they're one of the best teams in the world, we lost, we are above them after half a season, not the end of the world. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, January47 said:

The two performances against them last season were far superior to today although I think we are a bit better and they are a bit worse. We just looked so passive and lethargic. Apart from Vardy. I even thought Ndidi and Ricardo were poor.

Mate Ndidi and Ricardo are not playing against De Bruyne and Sterling every week, when they're on form no one can stop them. 

Best team won. As much as we've all started to dream after our start Liverpool and Man City are two of the greatest sides the Premier League has ever seen and if we end up 3rd it's still a massive achievement. 

Saying that, if we beat liverpool I'll start to dream again! X 

2 hours ago, Izzy said:

We weren’t great but we weren’t allowed to be. 
Sometimes you’ve just gotta doff your cap and admit you lost to the better team.

Man City are champions for a reason and would’ve beaten anyone today.

Totally disagree with those sentiments.

Doffing your cap is exactly what you don't do. Rather, you show some fight and try to impose your will on them.

They reduced us to noncombattants by pressing us all over the pitch.  We should have done just the same to them, but done it better and with more determination.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FoxyJim1987 said:

Not quite sure what you're getting at here. So moaning and calling half the team shite and criticising everything is the way forward. You need a bit of perspective sometimes in defeat. They were very good today they're one of the best teams in the world, we lost, we are above them after half a season, not the end of the world. 

Whilst I understand staying positive is a good thing, you also need to be critical in order to learn otherwise you become in danger of delusion.

So, I'm not calling half the team shite or criticising everything, others might, I can't speak for them.

What I am saying is, we weren't good enough - despite how good they are/were, I look at ourselves and it wasn't good enough, as it wasn't against Everton (in the league), Watford or Norwich despite being unbeaten in those games and I did mention it after each of those games, it's not just because we lost today that i'm bringing it up.

Even if we were better today we'd have probably still lost, but the bottom line is we weren't anywhere near our capabilities, it was poor and we made silly mistakes.

We are above them after half a season and we're having a very good season, it isn't the end of the world but a litle big of constructive criticism is sometimes needed to as you say give abit of perspective in defeat, help you learn, help you move forward.

The fact they are billionaires and outclassed us takes nothing away from the fact we weren't very good ourselves, it's just making excuses.

There is a difference between outclassing us and outclassing us because we weren't as good as we know we can be.

1 minute ago, deep blue said:

Totally disagree with those sentiments.

Doffing your cap is exactly what you don't do. Rather, you show some fight and try to impose your will on them.

They reduced us to noncombattants by pressing us all over the pitch.  We should have done just the same to them, but done it better and with more determination.

I think he meant after the event not during the match. Good points well made though. x 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Adster said:

Is it though?

Barnes completely fluffed it and he was always going to collide with Ederson. Not sure why I'm seeing so many people think it was a penalty.

It is, because the collision was as a result of the GK coming out to prevent the player from scoring. If Ederson had stayed on his line, there would be no collision.

Personally, I am OK with the call either way, but that explanation was obtuse. If it happened anywhere else on the field, it would still be a foul even if Barnes “fluffed” the ball out of bounds. Fouls are routinely called even when balls go out of play or are otherwise lost, so the fact that Barnes “fluffed” the opportunity shouldn’t be a determinative factor.

2 minutes ago, Matt said:

Whilst I understand staying positive is a good thing, you also need to be critical in order to learn otherwise you become in danger of delusion.

So, I'm not calling half the team shite or criticising everything, others might, I can't speak for them.

What I am saying is, we weren't good enough - despite how good they are/were, I look at ourselves and it wasn't good enough, as it wasn't against Everton (in the league), Watford or Norwich despite being unbeaten in those games and I did mention it after each of those games, it's not just because we lost today that i'm bringing it up.

Even if we were better today we'd have probably still lost, but the bottom line is we weren't anywhere near our capabilities, it was poor and we made silly mistakes.

We are above them after half a season and we're having a very good season, it isn't the end of the world but a litle big of constructive criticism is sometimes needed to as you say give abit of perspective in defeat, help you learn, help you move forward.

The fact they are billionaires and outclassed us takes nothing away from the fact we weren't very good ourselves, it's just making excuses.

There is a difference between outclassing us and outclassing us because we weren't as good as we know we can be.

But we're not always going to be as good as we know we can be. BR and the players aren't robots. Not even Liverpool and Man City play to their full potential every game. Yes, we were well below our best today (and in recent weeks), but a dip in form was always going to happen at some point. Maybe the tactics weren't the best, but like I said, BR isn't a robot. He's not going to get it right every time. We just need to fight through this period and go again.