Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Man City Post Match Thread - first defeat in 12

29 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I understand people’s frustration with the penalty calls ...... As per mane’s and rashford, this evenings was soft enough that if it hadn’t been given then VAR wouldn’t have overturned a no pen decision 

but the big clubs get the calls at home on the soft ones it seems ......

we got a soft one against Watford but that simply evened up the non call for vardy earlier .....

fair result sadly .....

just hope we can raise ourselves for Thursday ......

Wasn't aware Colleen Rooney is a Leicester fan and FT poster.........

• Thanks 1

Frustrating to lose, even though Man City were very very good. We defended very well, a deflected shot that was going to Kasper's arms and a daft/soft penalty were our undoing. 

That's Etihad, Anfield, Stamford Bridge and Old Trafford visited this season, only 1 point from these 4 games, arguably the toughest 4 games of the season, yet we are still second.

Thought we got caught playing out from the back too much first half. Tielemans and Maddison offered no outball from the centre backs putting Ndidi and the full backs under pressure high up the pitch. We just kept losing the ball and they kept coming at us again. I know it's what they do, but I thought we were good enough to combat it. Also Chilwell kept getting dragged inside to keep tracks on De Bruyne because nobody else was and Mahrez was left with acres of space. 

Maddison and Tielemans should have done more going in both directions first half. But also the players should thought for themselves. Started to look a bit longer to stop the turnover high up the park for instance. We have pace in abundance going forward, with them pushed so high a long pass (not a hoof) could have got is in behind.

Its not a huge moan though. Best team we've played this season imo, better against us than liverpool were. We know on their day they can be unstoppable.

Unfortunately Man City schooled us today, could have been 5-6 goals. Really disappointed in Brendan not making changes at half time after a truly awful 1st half. We needed the energy of Hamza and Albrighton to help Chilwell. Hopefully we can't play that bad again against Liverpool. 

Man City were better than us today, but we are still better than 85% of this league. So I think we're on for top 4. That was probably the best Man City have played this season.  I think Tielemens looks a bit like he is cruising at times, maybe he'll get back to last season's form after this. No complaints about the pen decisions - but I do think tactical fouls should be punished with a card (when we are on the counter)

12 minutes ago, Arkie Bennett said:

When Mahrez played for us, nearly always our opponents would double up on him to negate his impact. We didn't do that today and we paid the price.

Man City benefitted twice from dubious refereeing decisions, one which gifted them a penalty, the other which inexplicably denied us the same. That said, Man City were by far superior and were worth their two goal advantage. Mahrez and De Bruyne were on fire.

For us, Tielemans, Perez and Maddison were anonymous, leaving the others to try in vain to paper over the cracks. In our last few matches we've looked uncomfortable and vulnerable playing out of defence when the opposition does a high press. Norwich and Man City both exposed it.

We've looked unstoppable at times this season, but today we were made to look ordinary by a team that is the real deal. We didn't do ourselves any favours, but I hope this match gives our players a reality check. The real work to secure a top 4 finish starts on Boxing Day.

They pressed very hard and closed down our play from the back approach which meant Tielemens and Maddison saw little ball, they were well up for it.

If we beat most of the rest in the 2nd half of the season we will reach Wembley for a final and finish the job and finish in the top 4.

Hold on a second, what an amazing season that would be!!:vardy:

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, The boy Linacre said:

They pressed very hard and closed down our play from the back approach which meant Tielemens and Maddison saw little ball, they were well up for it.

If we beat most of the rest in the 2nd half of the season we will reach Wembley for a final and finish the job and finish in the top 4.

Hold on a second, what an amazing season that would be!!:vardy:

Precisely. My billy big bollocks have shrunk a bit, and hopefully some of our player's will have too (apart from Vards  - golden boot for him I hope). But we are having an unimaginably good season (if we hadn't already done that by winning the league). We will consolidate our position in the league as a top four side. That is brilliant. And what Vichai would have wanted. I hope FT doesn't melt down if we happen to lose to Liverpool.

Edited by trabuch
  • Like 1

Was there to today…. The team like our support fell a little flat today…

It happens…. We’ve had a wonderful run, but, you need to be i it all season long to succeed in this division…

We were simply never in the game…. It was a little humbling really…

No two ways about it, we need to wake up quick if we want CL football next year as that nice cushion we have can soon become eroded…

Agree that the best team won and not doubting their class at all. I think what frustrated me is that we totally flattered them with our performance. Some of our defending was criminal but I don’t think it was helped by the way we just let them continue to bombard us down the flanks.

BR can be forgiven for starting with the team we had, and I like that he was brave from the off. But 25 mins in it was clear where Man City’s attacking focus was so I was surprised to see no change to the formation or tactics at half time.

I did however like BR’s interview - he didn’t protect the players too much and acknowledged we weren’t good enough, but also didn’t slate them for being shit. I have no doubt we will play better against Liverpool and the fact that we are still second is absolutely incredible. It’s been a great season so far!

• Like 1

Have to be honest and say I’m disappointed more by the performance than the result. Yes city on their day are insanely good and it was a good day but I do believe a good contest  involves brains and brawn. We were lacking in both slightly today. If the tactics were right and everyone was on song we could have made this a better contest and come away with a point. Instead we came to a gun fight with smaller guns and lost. My only take away is that we can play better and we need to against the big time Charlie’s if we are to be taken seriously. Hope the players use this humbling dispointment to raise their game to extreme levels against Liverpool otherwise it will be another loss and that would be embarrassing. Come on BR and the boys let’s stir up some siege mentality and really go for it!

6 hours ago, ttfn said:

Manchester City were excellent, comfortably the best team we’ve played by a distance and we didn’t turn up.

As I said in the match thread it’s absolutely ridiculous that you can get a penalty for a minimal clip of the foot but absolutely nothing for being totally wiped out to the extent that you somersault and end up going off injured.

Absolutely. 

They had our pants down today, and were the better side. But game after game, and for a long time now, we all know we need better wingers around vardy. Perez not good enough, had high hopes but really not cutting the mustard. And Barnes gets smashed and not even a foul. But we gave them way too much room, and it stings to let mahrez have the run of it. 

But we will beat Liverpool, proper Leicester stylee

17 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Something to cheer us all up...

The BBC cut short Liverpool’s trophy presentation to bring us much more important coverage of......... Michael McIntyre. :giggle:

Probably the only time anything funny has come from a Michael McIntyre show

We certainly cant be disappointed with how our season is panning out and we cant be disappointed with losing to Man City when they are in that kind of form. However we can be disappointed with our performance today. As good as Man City were, we allowed them to be with poor passing out from the back and just a basic dis organisation that allowed Mahrez and De Bruyne to destroy us. Long way to go in the season but we have got to improve on the Norwich, Everton 2nd half and Man City performances as quite frankly, they have been awful! If we play anything like we did in those games against Liverpool then we could get hammered. Still have a great chance of top 4 and possibility of winning a cup but I feel we need 1 or 2 top signings in January as some of our players are looking tired and we cant expect the same players to play every league game and cup game or our season really will start to spiral! 

One thing that’s inescapable when we’re playing these guys or Liverpool - our wingers just aren’t good enough. They never have been, but it hits you like a punch in the face watching a match like this.

I’m normally highly skeptical of the sirens’ song that is three at the back - always held up as the panacea to all problems. But if Benkovic were up to speed I’d sure be tempted. Since our only two decent wide players are our fullbacks, making them wingers makes sense. Play Praet and Ndidi behind Tielemans and Maddison in a 3-4-2-1. But unless you have a third CB that’s not an option, obviously. Can’t do it with Wes.

Edited by Deeg67

That is why Mahrez is a genius and i would take him back in a flash.

Chillwell wasnt poor... Mahrez and KDB were a cut above.

Man city are the best team ive seen on TV this year and i wouldnt write them off for the title yet. We shouldve beaten/drawn with Lpool... but these guys were another league.