Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Man City Post Match Thread - first defeat in 12

We lost today becuase our entire midfield was nowhere to be seen. Evans time and again had to hoof out of defence because there was a 30 yard gap between our midfield and defence that then presented itself as 30 yards of open turf for the light blues to run into unopposed. Perez was no support to Ricardo and Banes was nowhere near Chilwell. Whenever we have bossed games the defence and midfield have overlapped, you cannot pass effectively with that width of gap and Citeh are renowned for their strategic professional fouling in the middle of the park.

I can only assume Chilwell and Ricardo were under instruction not to make runs up the wings today and Ndidi was told to make up a defensive 5 as roaming cover. It was a strategy to try to get a draw and failed depressingly.

Just now, SouthStandUpperTier said:

But we're not always going to be as good as we know we can be. BR and the players aren't robots. Not even Liverpool and Man City play to their full potential every game. Yes, we were well below our best today (and in recent weeks), but a dip in form was always going to happen at some point. Maybe the tactics weren't the best, but like I said, BR isn't a robot. He's not going to get it right every time. We just need to fight through this period and go again.

Agreed and i'm not saying there is anything wrong with it, as you say we're not going to be at our best every week, not even Liverpool or Man City play to their full potential every week - it's impossible.

However this is where we are at the moment and i'm noting it, i'm pointing it out, i'm not going to sugar coat it and i'm sorry if people feel that is the wrong view to hold, I guess some people would rather just stick their heads in the sand.

• Like 1

I was in the away kop right next to our lot and here’s my feedback from behind enemy lines:

1) best they have played in some time

2) most pressing they have seen Man City play all season

3) shit scared every time Vardy was near the ball

my view of today:

1) they set up to stop our fullbacks, and did just that. Mendy and walker stopped Ricardo and Chillwell getting forward. in my opinion albrighton should have started ahead of Perez in such a game as Perez clearly wasn’t up for a battle from the first whistle.

2) Maddison had to come very deep to take the ball, but still had a reasonable game. Tielemans was anonymous... only marginally more fight than Perez.

CONCLUSION:

big titties and ass improve every situation. So I’m off to a manchester strip club... GOODNIGHT!

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Matt said:

Agreed and i'm not saying there is anything wrong with it, as you say we're not going to be at our best every week, not even Liverpool or Man City play to their full potential every week - it's impossible.

However this is where we are at the moment and i'm noting it, i'm pointing it out, i'm not going to sugar coat it and i'm sorry if people feel that is the wrong view to hold, I guess some people would rather just stick their heads in the sand.

We're all well aware our form is trending downwards. That doesn't really need to be hammered home. It's just some (and I wouldn't include you) can't seem to accept that as a reality of football. If this dip carries on well into the new year, then by all means, we can all get annoyed. But as it stands we are 2nd in the league to a team that has dropped 2 points all season, and we are also through to a cup semifinal.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, One Arm Babba said:

I was in the away kop right next to our lot and here’s my feedback from behind enemy lines:

1) best they have played in some time

2) most pressing they have seen Man City play all season

3) shit scared every time Vardy was near the ball

my view of today:

1) they set up to stop our fullbacks, and did just that. Mendy and walker stopped Ricardo and Chillwell getting forward. in my opinion albrighton should have started ahead of Perez in such a game as Perez clearly wasn’t up for a battle from the first whistle.

2) Maddison had to come very deep to take the ball, but still had a reasonable game. Tielemans was anonymous... only marginally more fight than Perez.

CONCLUSION:

big titties and ass improve every situation. So I’m off to a manchester strip club... GOODNIGHT!

I was next to them (yet again) and they are an annoying bunch, worse in the league to be stuck next to.

And with how many I saw at Picaddilly station on the way home I'm surprised there's actually any Man City fans left in that City.

Enjoy the strip club.

2 minutes ago, Bob Weasel Fox said:

Sterling dived for their pen

100 per cent cheat

I was right behind it mate. Thought it was a dive straight away (not a surprise, it's fvcking Sterling) but at half time I saw a still image where I doubted, but having just seen it on MOTD I agree it's a complete dive. How did VAR not give it as a dive though.

Edited by Fox92
  • Like 1

The goal gave me hope we were in for one of those games where we didn't see much of the ball but still snatched the points, much like Chelsea away this time last year. We did well to edge ahead - a superb assist from Barnes and lovely finish from Vardy. Then we had some rotten luck with the deflected goal and the penalty was dubious at best.

However, we our obvious attacking threats from the fullbacks and Maddison/Tielemans were generally nullified by Man City and they managed the game extremely well. I did think Rodgers was too slow utilising the options from the bench - Albrighton and Praet should have come on earlier. However, the better team won today and that was a masterclass from De Bruyne. We go again on Boxing Day.

30 minutes ago, Dave Fishwick said:

agree with that. The 1-0 at the back end of last season at their place we made it really tough for them and was 10x the performance of today. I'd also have gone with Choudhury, think he could have done a job on de Bruyne

we were too open. Maybe BRod's first mistake as gaffer? 

I mean surely Man Utd away was also a mistake. In fact it boggles the mind (albeit at different points in the season) that he decided we needed two defensive midfielders at Man Utd with McTominay, Mata, and Matic in midfield but not today against Man City. Man City load the centre of the pitch anyway with the fullbacks tucking in but today they've clearly noticed how susceptible we can be in the middle of the park, particularly down that left. So what then annoys me more is that the pattern of play was set pretty quickly but at no point did Rodgers try to affect the game (he spoke to a few of them when Perez was injured but it did little good defensively). We went 1-0 up and just continued to leave ourselves wide open in such an obvious way away at Man City

1 hour ago, deep blue said:

Totally disagree with those sentiments.

Doffing your cap is exactly what you don't do. Rather, you show some fight and try to impose your will on them.

They reduced us to noncombattants by pressing us all over the pitch.  We should have done just the same to them, but done it better and with more determination.

I clearly meant doff your cap to them after the game in acknowledgement to how well they played.

It's all well and good saying 'show fight and impose your will on them' but they're Man City, champions, playing at home, playing brilliantly and they didn't allow us to do that. 

Yeah, they did reduce us to noncombatants therefore they deserve credit for that.

Of course we should have done the same, but we didn't. The better team won, fair and square.

They were sensational today, esp DeBruyne and Mahrez

We were pants... Tielemans and Ayoze might as well not have been there

= a pasting

Best side won today by miles 

That said, I think the Liverpool game will be very different. We’ll have a rocket up our asses and will be firing

When Man City play like that I still think they’re the best in the division 

Edited by Col city fan
  • Like 1

I understand people’s frustration with the penalty calls ...... As per mane’s and rashford, this evenings was soft enough that if it hadn’t been given then VAR wouldn’t have overturned a no pen decision 

but the big clubs get the calls at home on the soft ones it seems ......

we got a soft one against Watford but that simply evened up the non call for vardy earlier .....

fair result sadly .....

just hope we can raise ourselves for Thursday ......

Today’s a blessing in disguise,

we was never title contenders even had we won,

this loss will have taken the burden off the players regarding expectation level and now we can concentrate on getting that top 4 finish and possibly even winning a trophy,

which will be an amazing achievement 

Edited by Russell sprout

The result was to be expected. When rested and in full flow, Man City are the best team in the world. Our performance was disappointing in that we didn't do ourselves justice. Our players were clearly tired but once again, our young team froze on the big stage. It is no surprise that our stand-out performers were Vardy, Schmeichel and Evans; our most experienced players. Our youngsters will learn from the experience and with Rodgers' guidance will learn to cope better on the big occasion. This will be a vital part of our development as a top four team.

• Like 2