Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
tickler28

Emphasis on Carabao Cup is costing us

I can't understand your logic. Even without the points you'd swap for the semi final we are still 2nd and 10 points clear of Spurs in 5th. Sounds to me like you'd rather us win the Premier League again, which is a bit pointless this season because Liverpool are just ridiculously good, they really are the best in the world, probably the best I've ever seen beat us. I also believe that our time to win the PL will come again if we continue on our current trajectory, and in most of our lifetimes too. Crazy to think but also a genuine possibility of it happening. But currently we are favourites to get Champions League football and we stand a fair chance of a trip to Wembley. Personally I'd very happily take that every season for the next few years. 

As things stand right now, the odds are on us reaching the Carabao Cup final (we are favourites to beat Villa over two legs) AND finishing top four (we have a ten-point advantage over the team in fifth)... so the argument is groundless.

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

We can still win a cup and finish top 4.

Not sure what the issue is..

Exactly this.

It was never about the title race, most posters said “top 6” and by that I think most of us meant 6th. Breaking the mould was the target; we are doing this. Just need to pick it up in the next couple of games and we will be fine.

The cup has opened up with Liverpool being knocked out, it’s a great opportunity for a trip to Wembley. I’m cheerful as this is the first cup semi final in my lifetime. Perspective eh

1 hour ago, splinterdream said:

I think the team were under orders not to press and exert to much energy, I think BR has targeted games and these were just too much of a risk, i maybe wrong but i'd be interested if anyone agrees

I don’t agree, just beaten by 2 better sides and we were like rabbits in the headlights 

We really have some weird fans. How the hell do you put a bad spin on reaching a cup semi final for the first time in years.

I was as pissed off as anyone after yesterday’s result and the nerves jangle for a top four finish because we haven’t looked as good as we have done this year  in the last few years but I ain’t giving up a semi final and potential cup win for a point against 13 points clear Liverpool. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, murphy said:

@tickler28 makes a good point...

Well... actually, he doesn't, I'm just starting to feel a bit sorry for him now.

You know you've had a mare when your post gets a dozen :blink: reactions within the hour

I presume the person who started this thread has only been following us since 2016! I was at  all three league cup finals under MO and they were great days. Like many have said before me, lots of people complained that Puel didn’t take the cups serious and now you’re complaining that we take them too seriously?! There was no way that anybody was catching Liverpool even before the Man City match, we’re good enough to try for a cup and try for a top 4 finish and what’s football about if it’s not winning trophies? 

• Like 1

Jesus ****ing Christ. We’re 2nd in the premier league in the semi final of a major cup

We got outplayed by the best team in Europe and one of the best teams I’ve ever seen. They’ve lost 1 in 60 or something and dropped TWO points all season. 

Our team is great, we’ve had a phenomenal season so far and I fully expect us to have a fantastic 2nd half too. Judging anything against playing Liverpool is a waste of time 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Farrington fox said:

Might be 3rd come 10pm:cool:

Big Deal !!

Top four and a Cup Final (win) is a fantastic season.

Brendan is building a team & there will be bumps in the road but where we are at right now is amazing !!

7 hours ago, splinterdream said:

I think the team were under orders not to press and exert to much energy, I think BR has targeted games and these were just too much of a risk, i maybe wrong but i'd be interested if anyone agrees

I thought the same thing after watching us v Man City and Liverpool. I don't think we're overly tired and I expect the energy/press levels to pick up starting tomorrow at West Ham

• Like 1