Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
tickler28

Emphasis on Carabao Cup is costing us

So Liverpool dismantled us because in one solitary round of the league cup we didn't rest every important player, while Liverpool had just played largely the same 11 on the other side of the world and have played how many more games than us this season? 8? More? To blame fatigue when we've just played two teams who have much more reason to be fatigued just can't be fathomed by me I'm afraid, Rodgers got it wrong in both games and even if he'd got it right we were totally outclassed by two of the best teams in world football.

• Like 2

Costing us what? We're second in the Premier League at Christmas. Second. At Christmas.

Are you expecting us to be the the team that's 13 points clear at the top?? Lower your expectations slightly or you'll never be happy being a Leicester fan ever again.

Edited by TiffToff88
  • Like 2

lollollol

For years we've pined for (regular?) silverware and now that we have a moderately good chance of getting a League Cup after reaching a semi-final (something we've not done in 20 years?!) and somehow that's costing us of a title race we were barely in anyway given Liverpool's large lead?

Years gone by we've hated that we've put out weaker squads to 'emphasise' on the league and now that we play a strong side, that's not good enough either?

Don't get me wrong I thought we'd put out a different side against Everton in the cup with less first-team regulars but what exactly has not doing that 'cost us'?  We're still in a decent position to go on to solidify top 4. We're 2nd ffs! Halfway through the season and we're in 2nd spot. The best of the rest after how brilliant Liverpool have been. 2 losses against 2 of the strongest sides and suddenly focusing on a realistic piece of silverware has cost us?

Bizarre conclusion to make.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, tickler28 said:

We've gone all out to get to the Semi Final of the Carabao Cup and personally I think it's cost us in recent games with fatigue setting in. Many of you may disagree but I'd personally swap the Semi of the League Cup for 2 more points v Norwich and 1 against City and Liverpool but we've made it clear that our objective is to go for a cup. We simply don't have the squad depth to expect to play our strongest team week in week out and still get results.

I can never get anywhere near as excited about the League Cup v Premier League....the Premier League means so much more. If we were mid table I'd understand going for a cup but with top 4 a realistic possibility surely that's far more important than the League Cup which merely gets you a place in the Europa League.

If we were to win the League Cup and finish the season 6th getting into the Europa League we'd all be desperately disappointed yet we seem hell bent on winning a cup we've won 3 times before and has little to no prestige.

Top 4 is priority for me.....by a million miles.

Discuss.

lol lol lol

12 minutes ago, splinterdream said:

I think the team were under orders not to press and exert to much energy, I think BR has targeted games and these were just too much of a risk, i maybe wrong but i'd be interested if anyone agrees

We all hope you’re right .......

given our 2 games every week to the end of January you could be ..... would seem a bit nuts to wear the boys out to try and get a point or two when the same amount of effort could get them six over the next couple games ....

Edited by st albans fox
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, splinterdream said:

I think the team were under orders not to press and exert to much energy, I think BR has targeted games and these were just too much of a risk, i maybe wrong but i'd be interested if anyone agrees

Yeah I think this might be right, especially after his remarks that the players would not be able to play all games coming up, so would have to be rotated.

I've been wondering today if his instructions were as you've said.

29 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

So Liverpool dismantled us because in one solitary round of the league cup we didn't rest every important player, while Liverpool had just played largely the same 11 on the other side of the world and have played how many more games than us this season? 8? More? To blame fatigue when we've just played two teams who have much more reason to be fatigued just can't be fathomed by me I'm afraid, Rodgers got it wrong in both games and even if he'd got it right we were totally outclassed by two of the best teams in world football.

I make it six champions league games, community shield, European super cup , two world club cup games. -1 league game, -1 league cup game so yes exactly eight. By the end of the season they’re gonna play at least 12 more as many as 17.

Really is pointless even trying to qualify for Europe if we can’t even manage the sodding league cup and the league without tiring the squad out.