Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
NaijaFox

Danny Drinkwater

• 1 year later...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9452903/Chelseas-Danny-Drinkwater-wants-return-club-insists-unfinished-business.html

Chelsea outcast Danny Drinkwater wants to return to the club as he insists he has 'unfinished business' after a 'lack of chances' and 'frustrating' four years following £35m Leicester move
Danny Drinkwater said he has 'unfinished business' with parent club Chelsea
Drinkwater has endured a nightmare time since moving to the Blues in 2017
The midfielder, 31, is currently on loan at Turkish Super Lig side Kasimpasa
Drinkwater said he thinks he can force his way into Thomas Tuchel's squad 
By FAAEZ SAMADI FOR MAILONLINE

PUBLISHED: 09:57, 9 April 2021 | UPDATED: 10:10, 9 April 2021

Chelsea misfit Danny Drinkwater has said he has 'unfinished business' with his parent club and that his time with the Blues has been 'nothing but frustrating'. 

The former Leicester and England midfielder is currently on loan at Kasimpasa in Turkey, having secured a move in January after a nightmare time at Stamford Bridge since he arrived from the Foxes for £35million in 2017.

Drinkwater hasn't played for Chelsea since 2018, his last appearance in a Blues shirt being the 2018/19 Community Shield against Manchester City. Despite this, he remains determined to have an impact in west London.  

'I want to continue with Chelsea. I feel like I have unfinished business with this club,' Drinkwater said on the Elmatch Program.

Drinkwater has managed just seven appearances for Kasimpasa in the Turkish Super Lig, with no goals or assists. He is also yet to complete 90 minutes for the club, starting four games and coming on as a substitute in three.

He missed the start of the season after suffering a freak injury during a swimming pool workout.    

Regarding whether he could force his way into Thomas Tuchel's current Chelsea squad, Drinkwater said: 'I would like to think so. I don't know if it is a good idea to go back to Chelsea and start declaring these things. I have got a long way to go.'

Drinkwater, who was part of Leicester's Premier League title-winning team in 2016, has made just 23 appearances for Chelsea in total. 

Before heading to Turkey, the 31-year-old had been relegated to the reserves, where he was sent off against Tottenham, and had commissioned his own showreel ahead of the January transfer window, featuring some of his finest finishes in a bid to attract clubs.

Asked why his Chelsea career has cratered so badly, Drinkwater expressed frustration at not being given the opportunity to prove himself.

'It was a big price tag at the time but I felt it was exciting. It was a new change, I felt I could play and show my worth. I just think it was a lack of chances,' he said. 

'My time at Chelsea has been nothing but frustrating. It is a weird position that I am in. It is definitely different but I don't think I am the first, nor will I be the last. This is part of football.'  

He revealed that then Chelsea manager Maurizio Sarri, who Drinkwater claimed to have a good relationship with, told him he needed to find a new club on transfer deadline day after the Italian signed midfielder Jorginho. 

'[Sarri] gave me one hour of the window,' Drinkwater said,

'He said, "I think you're gonna get frustrated", he explained and was honest, which was great. But I had one hour to find a club because I wasn't willing to go abroad. I'd just had a son, I wanted to be close to my son.

'And I didn't want to be part of the loan structure, it was a lot of mixed feelings. So I decided to stay, I was baffled.

'There were days where I got frustrated at the whole situation, things started to happen off the pitch that shouldn't have.' 

Drinkwater also opened up on how he has struggled to remain in love with football.  Before going to Kasimpasa, Drinkwater had two miserable loan spells with Burnley and Aston Villa, where he managed just six appearances between both clubs.

'I have to try and start enjoying my football again because in this moment it has disappeared,' he said. 

'I keep working hard, I keep grafting and I am doing the right things at the right times and I need to stay injury free and see where it takes me.

'It is a short career so I need to keep doing the right things and hope things turn around.' 

Drinkwater may have some way to go to re-ingratiate himself with Chelsea fans after several pilloried him for sharing a photo of himself celebrating minutes after Frank Lampard was sacked. 

Meh. Grateful for what he did when here but he wouldn't get in our matchday squad these days.

That said I do hope he finds happiness in himself, in a non patronising way, since he has made some odd decisions in the last few years and his head hasn't seemed in the right place.

Can't blame him for backing himself when the Chelsea opportunity came up, but for whatever reason it just hasn't worked out. He won't have a future there, or at any top English club. Could probably do a good job for a mid-table premier league team though if he regains his fitness and can get his life back on track off the pitch.

11 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Christ, I was worried he meant us at first. Passsss.

Still find it incredible they wanted to spend so much money on a player that was clearly nowhere near their standards.

He was a Premier League winning England international. That sounds like exactly the sort of player they would look for

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Christ, I was worried he meant us at first. Passsss.

Still find it incredible they wanted to spend so much money on a player that was clearly nowhere near their standards.

Didn't they need an English player in their squad?

• Like 1

I don't blame him for backing himself with the move, more so when he'd have been playing alongside the bloke he did so well here with – but I can't help but feel he took the environment / dressing room with us for granted. Seems a pretty fragile bloke and I dare say that going from playing football with what are essentially very, very close friends to a completely different dressing room was always going to do for him.

• Like 2

It was ridiculous how he was shunned for the Euro 2016 squad, most non Leicester fans at the time would agree.

Now however, considering the impact he's had on clubs while on loan, he's probably lower premier league / upper championship standard - as hard as it sounds.

Edited by Nalis

Has barely played in years (hasn’t played well for four and a half), and can’t sniff the pitch for Turkish also-rans.  But wants to go back to Chelsea.

His statements and actions demonstrate a removal from reality, and an inability to accept consequences.  It was diplomatic of Pearson to label him a “complicated individual”.

I had hoped he would get be able to get himself straight for life after football.  This sadly appears most unlikely, and I suspect we’ll see this thread bumped once in a while with glimpses of a life unraveling.

Danny, we saw you at your very best, but we hardly knew ye.