Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
wardyfox86

City 1-1 Villa - Post Match

We were poor but still much better then them. We play much better away from home anyway. Our away performances have been outstanding but apart from Newcastle. I don’t think we’ve had at outstanding home performance all season what’s mad,when you think we sit 2nd.

Also villa fans and that crappy ALLEZ ALLEZ ALLEZ chant. They’re up there with derby for originality. 

Edited by TrickyTrev Benjamin

1 hour ago, Foxy_Bear said:

Some really poor performances tonight. 

Chilwell was poor.

Perez was non existent

Maddison was frustrated. 

Tielemans was dreadful.

All credit to villa though, they defended brilliantly and  got what they came for, the tie is still alive. 

Were you watching the right match?

Edited by NeilLCFC
  • Like 4

.. a very poor performance once again at home!! 

Youri is now become a worry and you can understand why the Monaco fan base were keen to let him go. He really does not push himself, there is a lack of urgency and coupled with all that he does not seem to be aware of his performance. 

I believe it won't be too long that our patience and any good will is used up and a very similar situation will arise like it did in Monaco. 

I really wanted him to come off as the first to be subbed. We lacked pace in our team,  the only real outlet was Ricardo but he was at a standstill every time he got the ball and constantly played back to the defence, starting the constant passing for passing sake, unable to find any creativity in order for us to play forward. This is the reason why  an out and out winger is vital, as instead of ten passes, taking on and beating a defender would get you in and creates a space for players supporting the attack. 

Yes Villa set up well, very disciplined and grew as the game wore on, we were lucky not to go 2 down and Villa would have deserved it. Poor finishing by us, we constantly shot straight at their keeper, was a weakness and we were far too predictable in our overall play. 

Rodgers got it wrong again, in a big game, and I don't see him not making the same mistakes again. 

A draw is not the end of the world. 

However, it's worth remembering that the second leg will be the midst of 3 games over 7 days (Wednesday-Saturday-Tuesday). 3 days prior to the Villa Park second-leg, we will have the Brentford game which hopefully we should be looking to win and set off on a good FA Cup run, and 3 days after the Villa Park game we return to EPL action against Chelsea at the KP, another game that we should be looking to win (as it's substantively a 6-pointer in the Top 4 stakes). Accordingly, we might be compelled to field most of our strongest XI for 3 games over 7 days, if we seek to maintain an earnest interest in the cup competitions.

This is where Brendan will have to earn his pay raise! :scarf:

Edited by NaijaFox

I thought we started well, lots of possession, created a few chances and were starting to move them all over the place exposing gaps and asserting our dominance. Then one of our most experienced player committed a completely criminal mistake which lead to Villa’s goal.... Fuchs dives in to a challenge allowing his attacker to roll him and get Villa goal side, it ultimately led to their goal.

After that similarly to Everton and Norwich we lost our way, passes started going astray no cutting edge, no movement and no real clear chances. We’re starting to do this a lot at home, and it’s starting to get annoying, we make a mistake that usually leads to a goal and then we’re facing an uphill battle to get back into the game. This evening we were the makers of our own downfall, and it’s something that we need to cut out and fast. Not too many positives to take from the game, I don’t fancy going to their place for the reply, they will be up for this and probably get through. 

We've flapped it at yet another big game and that really worries me. Maybe I'm being harsh but I think Rodgers got the set up completely wrong tonight. Tell me one successful side ever that has set a midfield up like that - three playmaker type of players. You can't play with so little bite in midfield nowadays.

Chilwell, blergh, he's not a poor player but I do tend to agree that if we end up in another Maguire situation we could sell for profit and actually buy an upgrade like Telles or Grimaldo with millions to spare.

Tielemans was ****ing abysmal. He's been bad lately but that was abject stuff from him. Villa's best passer.

Iheanacho though. Bloke's routinely delivering now. I genuinely want him involved more and more and that's a massive plus.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kingfox said:

A few delusional idiots slagging Perez off tonight I see :blink:

First half our best chances were because of his good play.

Second half he also had a few tidy moments.

Last three games he has proven he is far better up front than on the wing.

Absolutely. I thought Perez had a very good game, I'm genuinely amazed that he's getting stick. Played some lovely stuff tonight.

• Like 4

Thought Rodgers gave a good post match assessment of our shortcomings tonight. We are still very much a work in progress and perhaps not as good as we led ourselves to believe with the 8 victories in a row. Massive improvement overall though from even a year ago and we’re going to get better 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

We've flapped it at yet another big game and that really worries me. Maybe I'm being harsh but I think Rodgers got the set up completely wrong tonight. Tell me one successful side ever that has set a midfield up like that - three playmaker type of players. You can't play with so little bite in midfield nowadays.

Chilwell, blergh, he's not a poor player but I do tend to agree that if we end up in another Maguire situation we could sell for profit and actually buy an upgrade like Telles or Grimaldo with millions to spare.

Tielemans was ****ing abysmal. He's been bad lately but that was abject stuff from him. Villa's best passer.

Iheanacho though. Bloke's routinely delivering now. I genuinely want him involved more and more and that's a massive plus.

Nacho and Vardy look a much better fit than Perez and Vardy. If you're gonna play with 2 up top.

Even going back to spurs game at wembley the other year, they looked like they could work. Nacho is turning me round at the moment.

Agree with the point on the midfield and to be fair it sounds like Rodgers has taken the blame. Much better with Hamza snapping around at players. Needs to play if wilf is out for a few weeks. Could be of good for him as well.

Re chilwell I was never his biggest fan but he also had me changing my mind. However. Absolutely no doubt I'd take the silly money from man city or chelsea and run, he doesn't convince in any aspect of the game.

Youri looks like junior Lewis. 

Thst said. Still convinced we will do them 2nd leg. Actually fear us slipping up at Brentford the weekend before tho.

4 minutes ago, Paddy. said:

Absolutely. I thought Perez had a very good game, I'm genuinely amazed that he's getting stick. Played some lovely stuff tonight.

He was on the shoulder of a defender several times in the first half and ready to make runs but the ball from defence over the top never came which frustrated me.

Overall, we were the better team, even though we didn't play that well. Hamza's impact was huge. Iheanacho looking so improved.

Still favourites for the second leg but missed the opportunity to improve our chances.

Lots of results-influenced overreactions here, I thought we were pretty good.

They were completely nullified, and if Ricardo gets on his bike/Chilwell gets a yard further goalside, we don't concede the goal. They had 3 shots, we had 7 times as many, and loads of proper good chances.

Vards hasn't played for a fortnight and is undoubtedly rusty.

Thought he should've took Fuchs off for Hamza rather than Praet but either way we got back into it. Cags, Evans, Maddison, Vardy, Ricardo, Perez all decent enough for me. Kelechi does the business again, delighted for him.

Nothing to worry about for me, won 3 on the trot and they are bang average but did a job tonight. Atmosphere will be fiery at Villa Park but they will go for it and we can pick them off, as long as Hamza is there to do a Kaamark on Grealish.

Back to basics with 4-3-3 at the weekend and let's start another winning run.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

He was on the shoulder of a defender several times in the first half and ready to make runs but the ball from defence over the top never came which frustrated me.

Overall, we were the better team, even though we didn't play that well. Hamza's impact was huge. Iheanacho looking so improved.

Still favourites for the second leg but missed the opportunity to improve our chances.

Yeah this frustrated me too. Too many passes sideways when a ball forward in behind could have been chosen instead. Think the opportunities were there to do that then have Vardy in the bod ready but it rarely happened, if ever. 

Glad to see Rodgers has taken responsibility for the team selection and set up though. Choudhury should have started as he made an immediate impact. As did Kelechi and I think he should definitely start for the 2nd leg too. Gives Vardy adequate support. 

Ndidi will be a big miss still for the next few games. 

I wonder if some of our regular first team players are just fatigued, even with the recent squad rotation.

Some of our squad players are performing much better than the first team.. Iheanacho, Fuchs, Praet, Gray, Hamza... Even Mendy is outperforming Youri if you compare the two... Justin is also playing well...

It’s taken him longer than most, but judging by his post match comments, Brendan gets that we should always have Hamza as an option.

i thought Pérez was good tonight, and amazing to see Nacho come on and make such a difference, yet again. 

Youri is getting so frustrated at himself - I hope he finds his way again soon. 

I really don’t know what to say about Chilwell though - he was a revelation last season (if you remember back). I know before he attributed his improved performance to really working on his fitness during preseason, so can’t help thinking that maybe he’s struggling in that area, as he has had some niggly injuries. Wing back doesn’t seem to suit him though - he doesn’t quite know what to do with himself. I am not sure it suits Ric either, so...

Edited by rachhere