Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
wardyfox86

City 1-1 Villa - Post Match

1 hour ago, ttfn said:

Particularly enjoyed the incident about 20 mins from the end where Evans pursued Grealish for about 60 metres (and 10 seconds) across the pitch, being sure not to intrude on Grealish’s metre-radius safe space he has around him. Eventually Evans let his concentration slip, got within 99cm and down went Grealish for surely the most predictable free kick in the history of football.

The best moment was Fuchs going up to Grealish after our equaliser as if to say 'how you like those apples?'

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

maddison needs to learn not to just smash the ball when in the box. he's done it against man u twice and last night. he's quality from outside the area (some shots aside) but placement and composure would benefit. he's been watching too many vardy highlights. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Disagree. Burnley play like that as standard, week after week. They are true shithousers.

Villa are a much more attractive and progressive team in general but had some recent injuries to key players including McGinn and coming away to us who were the odds on favourites, did what they had to do. It's up to us as one of the leading PL teams to be able to deal with that.

I don't like it, but if the shoe was on the other foot, and we were going to Man City with a few injuries, we wouldn't want to go there all guns blazing and would keep it tight. And we have done many times in the recent past.

Yeh I agree about the injuries and stuff but they didnt have the injuries in the league game and they were even worse that day. Constant cheating, diving, and just utter shite. A few games I've seen them this season and they've been the same. Grealish and McGinn are good players but beyond that they are pretty poor. They are the worst team I've seen this season with the exception of Southampton in the 9-0. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Does anyone know if the ref is the same for the second leg? If so, you can guarantee that he'll give a penalty for Grealish falling over in the box at the Holte End after no contact.

Nah will be different. 

Grealish is seriously bad with his theatrics but he was no different to Maddison at one point in our half who went down with barely any contact. Maddison in general isn't as bad. 

Grealish was very good yesterday considering it was a defensive focus from Villa. Everything goes through him so if he gets injured Villa are screwed. 

Apologies if anyone has mentioned this before ...

But did anyone else notice how few people actually left before full time last night?   Relatively speaking, of course.   A few left, but nothing like 10,000+ we've seen in previous league games.

I can only assume the reason was that most people had explicitly had to fork out hard earned money a week or so before the match.   So you were actually aware of what it had cost you.     And you'd had to take the trouble to get yourself a ticket, rather than just turning up on a season ticket.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Does anyone know if the ref is the same for the second leg? If so, you can guarantee that he'll give a penalty for Grealish falling over in the box at the Holte End after no contact.

If it's him I'm having good money on Villa going through. I'd genuinely sooner have Moss.

6 hours ago, jammie82uk said:

I don’t get it either I know I’m bias but Come on really? 

It had been billed as the battle of the number 10s and if you were to peruse the stats from the Carabao Cup semi-final first leg between Leicester and Aston Villa then it would be easy to convince yourself James Maddison had won the contest. He had eight shots. Jack Grealish had none. He created more chances and had twice as many touches.

But it was the Aston Villa captain whose class shone through.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11904200/jack-grealish-showing-his-class-at-aston-villa-and-hes-getting-better

lol what on earth were they watching?

Half of these pundits, experts etc... have already decided before the game what they're going to say about it after, regardless of what plays out, and people frequently swallow it.

18 minutes ago, worth_the_wait said:

Apologies if anyone has mentioned this before ...

But did anyone else notice how few people actually left before full time last night?   Relatively speaking, of course.   A few left, but nothing like 10,000+ we've seen in previous league games.

I can only assume the reason was that most people had explicitly had to fork out hard earned money a week or so before the match.   So you were actually aware of what it had cost you.     And you'd had to take the trouble to get yourself a ticket, rather than just turning up on a season ticket.

Nah around me had a lot leave just before stoppage time was announced. Didn't understand it considering we were in the ascendancy and could have grabbed a winner. 

7 hours ago, burleighfox said:

That Vardy booking was beyond ridiculous! I didn't see any malice or intent in it, just desire to go for the ball and not the man. Don't recall any actual contact!

There really does need to be some sort of mechanism to scrutinise and overturn some of these clearly incorrect yellow cards. 

• Like 1

Villa came with a plan and carried out the plan almost to perfection. Basically sit back, play virtually no football whatsoever and catch us a few times on the break hoping to score on one the few breaks the undertook. And it worked, almost. Mings was outstanding for them and we pretty much ran out of ideas. Their perfomance was one of the most negative anti-football perfomaces I've seen for a very long time. So it was fitting our goal came from yet another deliberate attempt by them to wast time and be negative. Great anticipation by Hamza, quick thinking by Vardy and really top top class bit of finishing from Kelechi.

As to us, Ndidi was a huge miss and Tielemans without that sort of player alongside him struggled very badly and improved once Hamza was introduced. Yet again I would have to question our mental strength in the so-called bigger matches. We just don't seem to be able to impose ourselves in anyway. We have a midfield that largely is unable to tackle. Vardy had several chances but wasn't able to take any. We were just stiffled by their game plan and lacked the nous to break them down enough. Chilwell really isn't a wing back. Actaully felt a bit sorry for him by the end as he just didn't seem able to impact the game.

Ref was shocking.

Still all to play for in the secong leg though.

5 hours ago, MPH said:

no, i genuinely mean you make yourself look daft by suggesting players like Mendy, Albrighton and Gray  are better than tielemens .  

Would argue a few more but for you to suggest  those 3 is just laughable. 

Mendy has easily played better in the odd game he has been on the pitch than Tielemans. Gray hasn't been outstanding and Albrighton has been mostly huff and puff but even they have been better than the slow of foot and mind Tielemans who has begun giving the ball away more than any other player when it would be easier to make a good forward pass. Tielemans has now started to wave the pass off telling the defenders to pass to someone else rather than him. he presently looks 3 leagues below Maddison who comes for the ball, asks for the ball, moves with the ball, passes, shoots and defends when at the end of last season tielemans looked the better of the two players. I'd happily swap our record signing for Grealish and give Villa £50m on top. This season he has looked worse than record buys like Slimani and Akinbiyi.

Feel free to continue laughing while the truth smacks you in the face.

It's just good you semm to have finally accepted he isn't playing as well as Madders, Hamza, Wilf or Praet so not worth a place in the team.

50 minutes ago, FIF said:

Mendy has easily played better in the odd game he has been on the pitch than Tielemans. Gray hasn't been outstanding and Albrighton has been mostly huff and puff but even they have been better than the slow of foot and mind Tielemans who has begun giving the ball away more than any other player when it would be easier to make a good forward pass. Tielemans has now started to wave the pass off telling the defenders to pass to someone else rather than him. he presently looks 3 leagues below Maddison who comes for the ball, asks for the ball, moves with the ball, passes, shoots and defends when at the end of last season tielemans looked the better of the two players. I'd happily swap our record signing for Grealish and give Villa £50m on top. This season he has looked worse than record buys like Slimani and Akinbiyi.

Feel free to continue laughing while the truth smacks you in the face.

It's just good you semm to have finally accepted he isn't playing as well as Madders, Hamza, Wilf or Praet so not worth a place in the team.

you are simply deluded and an attention seeker.  no other words for it.

Interestingly on talksport tonight, they felt Maddison was much better last night, and that the commentary team for sky went too over the top on him because it was a big game. Didn’t watch it obviously being at the game, but reading the article they put out today, it would fit! Still if everyone focuses on Grealish and it takes the talk away from Madders, I’m not to bothered!

The media has an obsession with player comparisons. The next Beckham, the next Shearer etc, etc.   Is Vardy better Than Kane ?

The problem is while two players may play similar positions they quite often play the position differently. The Vardy / Kane is a classic, two CF's who play their position in a totally different way.

I feel the same about the Grealish / Maddison comparison, the only common ground is cocky, young & English.

20 hours ago, Manini said:

Not saying I’d opt for it but I think Hamza is a lot better on the ball than people give him credit for. 

I would opt for it, and you are spot on when you say that Hamza is better on the ball than he is given credit for. His passing is sound (and he passes sideways and backwards less than some) and he doesn't often lose possession. Our chastening experience against Liverpool and Man City shows that the very top sides dominate possession. To have a chance you have to win the ball and against top sides we cannot just rely on Wilf in midfield. Hamza can win the ball when he's not expected to, and that can often wrong-foot defending teams - e.g. last night against Villa. He's worth a place in the starting XI for definite. Let the boy start!

• Like 1

Be interesting to see what tactics BR adopts in the return leg...in a more open game i would fancy us to win but they may decide to sit back and play on the break again, i hope we dont get sucked into this ..but the longer a stalemate goes on Villa may even decide to play for penalties.

Thing is, that’s as good as villa get, we’ve shown time and time again we’ve got a couple of gears we can go up. And as for grealish! If going down for an audience every time you get touched and prancing about in shorts that are too tight claiming his calf’s are too big for his socks  is what’s classed as quality nowadays, well Jesse lingaard really is a 50 million quid superstar. Looked fvcked at 60 minutes. Mind you, saying that, I’d take him when villa go down, and mings.

Edited by yorkie1999